Alfa Romeo Giulia | Page 50 | FerrariChat

Alfa Romeo Giulia

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by TheMayor, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    seem like italian cars all have trouble with durability of leather. no such problems for most other cars

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Except BMW. Unless they've changed recently their interiors still peel like crazy.

3. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    The leather steering wheel cover on my Celica GT-Four came apart.
    Other cars have leather troubles.

At least Alfa is putting leather on every car. Steeper learning curve.
    A leather interior was a $1000 option on the Celica, so they only put it on a few cars.
    (Although it came with one of the best driving seats I've seen. Or likely ever will. The Fed mandated side airbags will likely prevent seeing power side bolster and lumbar adjustments in future cars.)

And it's not like FCA has been ignoring the issue. They've been through a few suppliers.

Seems gluing leather is a problem not restricted to cars.
    After Florsheim shipped their manufacturing out of the US, I've had to re-glue the heel onto every pair I've bought.
    (Although that's more a problem gluing rubber to wood. No Elmer's glue in India? ;))

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Great numbers! I hope it continues to go up and that the car gets popular so that i can find a nice QV 2 years from now.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1230 TheMayor, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From Good Car Bad Car

The line is very straight month to month. I think their lease program is helping along with better distribution of more product into the dealers.

Stelvio sold 99 in the first month. I expect more Stelvio sales than coupe sales given the popularity of the category. Both categories are pretty crowded though so don't expect any breakthroughs.

Here's a quote from GC / BC

"Quickly, the Alfa Romeo Giulia has become a car people actually buy, not just a rare afterthought ignored by almost every luxury car buyer. In July, the 1,104 Giulias sold in the United States meant that the Alfa outsold upmarket/premium/luxury cars such as the Buick LaCrosse, Lincoln Continental, Volvo S90, BMW 7 Series, Cadillac CTS, and Lexus GS.

More importantly, the Alfa Romeo Giulia easily outsold a number of direct rivals: Volvo S60, Cadillac ATS, and Jaguar XE."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Well to be fair, most of these are 2 or 3 years old if not more (mild redesign...) and some of these are not competitor at all (BMW 7, S90...).

The Alfa has to be compared to the BMW 3er/Merc Class/Audi A4/Lexus IS.

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1233 TheMayor, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Totally agree. However, its better than the opposite.

I remember when the first Kia's and Hyundai's arrived in the US. We all thought they were a joke -- and they were. But over time they got brand recognition and better product. Now look at them. It wasn't that long ago but building a car brand in America is a long and difficult process. We should not expect overnight success even with a great product.

One reason is a lot of people just turn back in their cars for "loyalty programs". Lexus desperately tried to get me to renew my lease on my GF's car. I got a super deal on my Mini for the same reason.

With so many Audi, Lexus, Merc, and BMW owners out there -- it's tough to get them to switch to a new brand.

9. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  10. fastback33

fastback33 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2004
    Based on?

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Let me take a wild guess... Hmm... Let me see... Ferrari? ;) lol...

12. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ferrari of 1997 is not Ferrari of 2017

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Italian leather most fragile. Seat bolsters wear out just from looking at them. Feel and smell great though. Japanese leather last well into decades with no maintenance. Unfortunately has all the sensation of vulcanized rubber. German and american somewhere in between although porsche is making big strides in quality.

14. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    How about 2007? 2010? Of course, something a few years old will not have shown yet... But, if their efforts in addressing the sticky plastics is any indication - even 2017 will have dash leather issues down the road. Just consider it "maintenance" to redo dash leather every 10 years or so...

15. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Holy smokes! Do they come in the driver assistance package? :D

Italian leather is great. Don't be lazy, clean and treat your interiors. You can also repair wear with a past polish or re dye.

16. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    #1241 DGS, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    That's not been my experience.

The leather on my '88 Celica GT-Four was in pretty rough shape when I sold it in '03.
    The leather on my '88 328 is still in pretty good shape today.

Although I tend to not leave the 328 sitting out in the sun with the top off without a car cover.
    And the (AWD) GT-Four was a four season car -- and mostly winters, after I got the 328 for summers.

Are you comparing coupes with and without tinted windows?
    UV filtering on the greenhouse can help reduce damage to the upholstery.

(Sure, cows stand outside in all sorts of weather, but they're still alive and growing.)

And the side bolsters on Ferraris tend to be more aggressive than on a luxo car.
    (The side bolsters on my GT-Four were also aggressive -- and power adjustable.)

The leather on my four-season GTV-6 held up pretty well, too, although it was less than a decade old when I traded it for the GT-Four (after a Fiat-ized Alfa shop ruined the GTV-6 engine in the '80s).

Lots of different factors, so comparing leather on different cars is rarely apples to apples.

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I found the leather on older Italian cars to be very good, but the stitching very bad. They should have used better stitching material. Cotton based on seats is a joke and will tear out after 10-15 years. The 164's I had did not have this issue and held up very well.

18. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    #1243 Rbtrader, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    I wanted to give a report on my first 700 miles in my 2017 Giulia. I have an Alfa white Ti with just the Ti sport and Performance packages, the leather package, and a sunroof. My first reaction is that the car is fantastic! I am a long time BMW driver, starting in 1973 with a 2002Tii. This Alfa is a flashback to my Tii! Quick, nimble, cool and erotic! Through the years I had an 88 M5, a 99 M3, a 633, all true to the BMW identity. More recently the 325i convertible and the 335i convertible have been reliable, and solid, but in a clinical way. Not nearly as sexy.

My Alfa makes me smile every time I get in it, every time I take it to the redline and hit that paddleshifter, and every time I get that wave or nod as people take notice of the car. It is fun to have something other people enjoy as much as you do. Most people don't know what an Alfa Romeo is, but they admire the car and are smitten by it! The car people love seeing their first one in person, and have a dozen questions about it. Don't buy a Giulia if you don't like people and you don't like talking about your car.

I read a recent comparison of a BMW and a Giulia. The conclusion from both reviewers was that it was close but the BMW won on the numbers. They both said, however, that they would pick the Giulia because life is too short not to drive what you love!

And, I am not worried about Italian leather. With leather conditioner every year (generally Hide Food), I have had no dash shrinkage or excessive bolster wear on my Ferrari's.

19. pennellotref

pennellotref Rookie

Feb 4, 2017
    #1244 pennellotref, Aug 29, 2017
  20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

Thanks for the table pennellotref.

Italian sales tie up within a few cars of my post #1199, but interestingly MacGeek's post #1200 states that they are sans the Guilia Quadrifoglio sales.

21. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #1246 John_K_348, Aug 30, 2017
  22. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    Beautiful!

23. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    a feast indeed my ferrari brother. lets compare notes after you've broken her in.

Geno

24. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    You got it Geno!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

25. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    The best is when race mode activates

We need an aftermarket exhaust

Your combo is unique and will stand out in a rare crowd to begin with

Nicely done you will love it, flaws and all.