F1 goes into neutral on stand still in 1:st while braking | FerrariChat

F1 goes into neutral on stand still in 1:st while braking

Discussion in '360/430' started by johan6504, Sep 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Hi
    I think I am seeing a different behavior on my Scuseria. When at standstill with 1:st gear selected, and with the foot on the brake, the cars used to keep the gearbox in 1:st. But now it goes into neutral after a 10 sec. If I remember correctly it goes into neutral if you dont brake, but should stay in 1:st for 10 min if I am on the brake. I have checked the brake switch and light but it looks ok. Any suggestions to what could cause this?

2. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Your clutch might be coming to an end.

3. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Hmmm, maybe. But I dont get any other indications to that, last service said that there were plenty left of the clutch and I have few Km since then, but who knows... Feels more like elektronik glitch... Going into service in 2 weeks so I guess we will know soon enough ;-)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brake switch could be the culprit. If the system does not sense the brakes through that switch, she will go to neutral. Try pressing harder on the brake pedal to confirm.

5. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I tried it today and I cant repeat it. With the foot off the brake it takes some 1 min to go back into N, with foot on the brake I got tired after 4 min and it was still in 1:st. I will let Jim at Autocura check clutch wear at my service in a few weeks.

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think it can still be the brake switch. if I remember correctly, it has two separate circuits....one for the brake lights, the other for the transmission. For the $35-$40, and 10 minutes of work, I would just replace the switch just in case. I think it's the highest probability that it is your issue.

7. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    But even if the car thinks you're off the brake, it would not go to neutral in 10 seconds. There has to be something else going on, no?

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i believe they will be off to Neutral after 10 minutes foot on brake.(tried twice myself)
    in fact, somebody told me it is a crude way of adjusting the PIS, not sure if its true, and I believe it is not true.

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I’m not sure what you are asking, but I can tell you that if you are in 1st at a stop and your foot comes off the brake, it will go into neutral in a few seconds. I’m also pretty sure that if you are in 1st at a stop WITH your foot on the brake, it will go into neutral, but will take a few minutes.

10. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    That's exactly what I'm asking. Off-brake, I don't expect the car to go to N after just a few seconds. I'll have to try it out, but I thought it was more like a minute or more.

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I just checked the owners manual. It says that if you are on the brake it will go to neutral in 10 minutes. If your foot is off the brake, it goes to neutral in 4 seconds.