Newbie 488 Order | FerrariChat

Newbie 488 Order

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Motorwerks, Sep 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    #1 Motorwerks, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Hi everyone. I've been a long-time lurker and walked into my local Ferrari dealer for the first time (as a buyer). I spec'd a new 2018 488 GTB order last week and we finalized the build today. I was told that once the order was placed, the build was going to lock immediately and allocated for build. The vehicle is to be built in late December with a early February delivery. Guess I was lucky to have an immediate allocation available to me.

I deliberated on color/options quite a bit but finally got into an "analysis-paralysis" mode. Finally, knowing I wouldn't own this car forever, I ordered:

Rosso Corsa - exterior
    Nero - interior
    20" forged painted wheels
    Calipers in Rosso
    rear view camera
    Ferrari shields
    Interior Carbon Fiber Racing Package (zone, steering wheel, bridge, dash inserts)
    Goldrake Racing Seats in large sizing
    Deviated stitching (large thread) in Rosso
    Red Embroidered horse on headrest
    Leather headliner with deviated rosso stitching
    hi-fi sound system
    floor mats with embroidered logo
    colored seat belts in Rosso
    sport seat lifter

This ended up being a $309353 car.

I may be a bit different from most folks (or so it seems)....this is my nearly every day daily driver in the spring/summer/fall. I typically drive about 4000 miles per spring/summer/fall driving season and hope to own the car for 2-3 years. I currently have a 2015 Porsche 991 GT3 that I drive nearly everywhere....15405 miles in 2.5 years.

Thanks for all of the reference material, pictures, and various ordering episodes from those on this site!

-Satish

racerdj likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Wow you get your cars fast.
    I put my deposit hold in 1st June. They will contact me next Jan-Feb 2018 to final spec the car and if im lucky she will arrive by December 2018.

Food for thought have a look at the
    Rosso Corsa Metallica
    Up grade the rear view mirror as the Std looks tacky
    and if you are having a black interior , look at the white stitching. Looks different to the red that you see most cars speced.
    Im all for the leather headlining , just plain hate the standard material and with white stitching the shape of the interior really shows as I found the red to blend a bit.

Good luck with her

3. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Thank you however, my order probably locked as soon as I literally walked out the door. I was told no changes after I signed off on the order this afternoon. Also, much as I like Metallica, I didn't like the price tag knowing that I probably won't have this car forever...I figured I'll get pickier next go around.

MANDALAY likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think it's a great spec. You got all the essentials. Congrats.

of2worlds and Motorwerks like this.
  5. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Great spec and I drive my F cars everyday, just about to replace our amazing CaliTHS with a Lusso and looking to add a 488 to the mix, like your spec a lot!

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Wow that's super fast. Well done.

Motorwerks likes this.
  7. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Excellent job and congratulations on the order!

Motorwerks likes this.
  8. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    cant wait to see the car.. great job on the order..

Motorwerks likes this.
  9. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Once my car was done it took 6 weeks to get to me in the US

10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    congrats can't wait for pics

Motorwerks likes this.
  11. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Awesome!

Motorwerks likes this.
  12. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Talk about fast - incredible spec, you're going to love it! Can't wait to see photos, congrats!

Motorwerks likes this.
  13. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Yes, that's what my dealer told me as well. He said that the build is late December and delivery is first-second week of Februrary.

14. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Everything except the sport seat lifter is great. Hat option is a waste IMO unless you have lots of different drivers.

15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Dont agree on this one. I use my sport seat lifter constantly as I like the fine adjustment depending what roads I am driving

16. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    In July, I ordered a new BMW 750xi and it arrived at the dealership in 7 weeks 5 days. I would like to know why we wait 6 weeks from when the car is finished to the dealership. This was the case for both my 430 and 458.

17. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    I scrutinized the lifter as well; however one of my salesman told me that unlike the 458, the sport seat is not adjustable manually (via unbolting and reconfiguring the seat brackets) on the 488. Therefore, without the seat lifter, there is absolutely no adjustability whatsoever; manual or otherwise. Therefore, I went with the option. I had also read that some buyers may shy away from the car if they couldn't at least adjust the driver's seat height to some extent.

of2worlds likes this.
  18. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    BTW, I also wanted the red seat stripe (vertical stripe in the center of each seat) but was told that this option would have added 4-6 MONTHS to my build!! Therefore, I went with the red seat belts instead. I did find that having both, the vertical seat stripe AND the red seat belts together didn't look good (in the configurator) as having those two strong vertical elements within 12" of each other kinda "competed" against each other. So for me, because I passed on the red vertical seat stripe, I ordered the red seat belts instead (and saved $1000 btw).

of2worlds likes this.
  19. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I can tell you that its longer than 4-6 months for the stripe. My spider was delayed about 9 months because of the it. I think the 70th anniversary builds added to that delay but not sure how much.

20. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Gosh I’m glad I didn’t order it!! I thought February delivery was perfect for next Spring season. Enough time for paint protection film etc

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wow- 6 months delay for this? I have the stripe and I love it- but not sure if I would get a stripe if I had to wait that long.

22. waterking

waterking Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 15, 2011
    Texas
    Curious. Why is there such a discrepancy in ordering/delivery times between various US dealers? I have ordered two cars from one of the top dealerships in the US and never has it been a "walk in-walk out-order on the way" situation. I understand the issue happening outside of the US but I often see folks with multiple Ferrari purchases not get the immediate order and ship response. I am certainly not doubting the validity of these order descriptions just curious as to how it happens when it seems that most folks have a waiting period much longer than described by the OP.

23. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Yeah...I was told that anything outside of the normal configurable option sheet...in other words, those options that your can build yourself in the online configurator, would delay the order. Otherwise, the build would take place within 90 days.

24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Likely it's cause they had an allocation ready to go- someone backed out. Normally it shouldn't take that long. My buddy ordered a gtb a few months ago for a February delivery and he got the stripe and it did not delay his build at all.

25. Motorwerks

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    In my situation, the dealer received an additional allocation slated for immediate option lock. I was able to spec the vehicle exactly how I wanted it. However, I was told that those options that were not in the "standard list" would simply take longer. This fact wasn't unique to my situation as I was told that regular orders with the special additional options always take an order of magnitude longer than the "standard" option builds.