What are these Buttons on my 360? | FerrariChat

What are these Buttons on my 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by arachnyd, Oct 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Buttons! Everyone loves buttons. I have a few buttons in my car that I've wondered about since I bought the thing several moons ago.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The first button is the one on the far right. Turn it on? Turn it off? I can't tell a difference... pulled it out, and there's definitely a harness back there. What could it possibly be? I don't know. I've looked at a whole bunch of 360s at events and stuff and normally they either don't have that button. It does look like there's a black wire which may have been cut, but that doesn't help me solve the problem at all, except to suggest a problem.

However, when I look at some pictures online, most only have three buttons, some have a rear fog light button, and rarely... but occaisonally... I find one that is in a different order BUT DO have one odd button with no description... so what is it?

Here's an example, from korncars:
    There's another mystery unmarked button!

And here's one from Barret Jackson:

Now when I look at the manual, it calls for:
    ASR cut out button
    Rear Fog Light
    Rearview mirror defrosting
    Sport Mode

I guess it could be "Rear fog light", but 1. That button is supposed to have an icon on it 2. that seems weird 3. I've seen other non-iconed buttons and 4. I didn't know that was on US specs... could it be used for something else? 5. My taillights don't change with the button on

The second button may not actually be a button. It seems like there's a cover over it on other Ferrari 360s, but the thing presses in and clicks like its a button. If its not a button, what is it?
    It is to the left of your leg by the floor in the carpet

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Dummy switch. It does nothing. Not sure on #2 - perhaps inside temp sensor. Do you have an owner's manual?

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    For all others reading this: Please Read the owners manual! That will tell you. :)

Dummy buttons with no symbols are just that. No function. On euro cars they substitute for the rear foglight. 4 buttons euro cars, 3 buttons US cars.
    ASR cut out button (don't) - will cause a light and ASR on dash when pressed.
    Rear Fog Light (missing on US cars)
    Rearview mirror defrosting - light should illuminate on dash
    Sport Mode (Sport) - more performance setting. yellow orange sport light should illuminate.

If you don't see a light or change on the dash when you press a button, the button could be bad or the wires cut.

Button below dash is the rollover reset switch. When you roll over in an accident the fuel pumps should stop. Pressing this button reactivates things.

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You beat me to it! :)

5. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Thank you for the response!

First off, I DID read the owners manual and I was asking for a clarification based on a quote FROM the manual. There is no mention of a "dummy switch" on the section about these switches that I noticed.

If its a dummy switch, why is it wired up? That seems weird, but I guess I'll take that explanation. Most other 360s I've seen seem to have a "Blank" in there, but its good to know. It also "switches" which I thought was odd for a dummy switch, in the I can move the switch up and down. Very odd, but Ferrari wasn't the first company that did something weird like that.

6. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    In early models of the US versions of the 360 , Ferrari wired up the fog light dashboard switch connector, but instead of a functional fog light switch, a dummy switch was installed. Despite appearing to be a normal switch, it has no switching mechanism inside. There is also no wiring for fog lights at the rear lights cluster, so this function is not enabled in the US cars.

Starting sometime during the 2001 model year production, the dummy switch was replaced with a flat cover for all US cars.

I am guessing your car is either a 1999, 2000 or early 2001.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  7. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Very interesting. This is the clarification I was hoping for, so thank you very much for your explanation! Its a 2001.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I read that you read the manual. Soooo many don't. Sooo many don't. :)

The question that I have is what the prior owner(s) did with the wiring. The amount of half-baked wiring twisted together with electrical tape in my car was staggering. You'll prob. have to trace the wiring to see where it goes if there is wiring to the dummy switch. It is likely that the wiring is there for the rear fog lights in the wiring loom but the relay and fuse are missing d for US spec cars.

9. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    Curious why you say "ASR cut out button (don't)".
    Turning off the AntiSlipRegulation is the only way I know to defeat the "slip control nannies" when I track my car.

Cheers

Craig

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    These halls are replete with many many stories of "a deer jumped out in front of my car and I now have a very big bill from my body shop".
    Turning off ASR for many owners "makes the deer jump" and makes body shop very wealthy.

There are a few owners who actually drive their car. For new owners.. I advise the ASR is switched on. :)

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Curt: thanks for the post. I too have read the manual to try and get a good description of the ASR. Not really a clear cut answer that I could find. I assume it's a braking control? Another acronym for ABS? Something more? I usually only go out in the 360 in nice days and dry roads so I keep the car in sport. The posts here seem to say that sport mode engages the clutch with less slippage and therefore less wear (?)-- not to hijack the thread...

12. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
  13. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm with Curt on this. This is a car that will do exactly what you tell it to, even if you didn't mean to. And it will do it with enough power to get an unwary driver into a lot of trouble quickly.

I turn the driver aid nannies off on the track, and that's after a good ten years of pretty frequent track days in various cars. Otherwise they are always on. (Even if only as much as Race mode provides.)

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    What the ASR does is keep the car from kicking out Mustang style when you gun it. Notice on the 360 that the front and rear brakes are the same size. Normal the ear brakes are smaller. When you really step on it and the rear wheels start to spin, you loose traction on the outer as it starts to slip to the left or right. The ASR system is integrated with the ABS brakes and the wheel sensors to apply brakes to the wheel that is loosing grip when it starts to spin. So your rear end starts to kick out and the system will brake that wheel.. pointing you in a straight line again.
    When you turn it off, the car can get all mustang-leaving-a-cars-and-coffee. The tail can and will kick out and smack objects on the side of the road. Expensively.

Stealthssfc likes this.
  15. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul

Great description. Especially the "Mustang leaving a cars and coffee." Great real life reference to what happens.

16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Thanks for the explanation. Slowly getting acquainted with the 360. Only in the garage for about two months now. Still have not "floored" it even in a clear no traffic straight line. Still getting to know each other. The car is scary fast. My old 993 was fast but this 360... wow. About 200lbs lighter than my 993 and about 120 more hp. I did some SCCA tracks with the 993 (Porsche driving event) always felt comfortable. It'll be awhile for me and the 360.

Been reading and re-reading the owners manual at lunch. Ha!

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    When first bought mine the antilock brakes and ASR didn't work. The motor in the ABS pump was toast. So I spent the first 8 months to a year driving with respect for the car. Easing into is gradually is the best way IMHO. She'll still try to slap you if you're not careful. :)

18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    At a coffee and cars years ago. Guy in a then new Z06 Corvette decides to nail it as he leaves the light. Fishtails and takes out three cars in the turn lane. I would've had to move to a new town. :D

19. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    The videos are funny for a while, and then you begin to just feel bad about seeing the cars plough into curbs, other cars, or worse, into human beings.

I try to be so careful, and I also worry at our local C&C if someone might make a mistake like this, as it'll just ruin it for all other participants, and they'll ask us to shut it down or something (and I'm a moderator of these events too). So many times I say "keep it cool", and still we have someone showing off...

*sigh*

20. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Most times IMO the non-car guys are the biggest offenders. Bought the car to "show off", park in the most conspicuous spot, and be seen driving it--- not to learn to appreciate what the car is and can do. Someone was always trying to goad me into a "race" on the streets in my 993. Still happens in the 360. Not gonna happen. When I open up the 360 it's all about me and the car. Open road, alone in the car, and simply enjoying the connection.

Owning a nice sports car for me isn't all about the speed. Build quality, functionality, feel, and so much more than "how fast will it go?"--- not to mention I tend not to be up on the curb into a light pole with that philosophy.

21. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ahahahahahah! I turned the ASR off in my 456M a few times. I would suggest learning how it behaves that way on a large, empty parking lot. I have one near me that is several acres, and lots of donuts have been done there.

Stealthssfc likes this.