328 QV engine in a 308 GTSi | FerrariChat

328 QV engine in a 308 GTSi

Discussion in '308/328' started by raines, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hey Guys,

Had this in General Discussion but moved in here with youz guyz! Anyone have this done?
    Excited to start on restoration of my 81' 308, but my mechanic has a 328 Quattrovalve engine for sale and recommends we by-pass buying replacement 308 head parts and instead install the 328QV engine. FYI- My 308's OV cams mushroomed the tappets, hence lobes are badly worn. I asked him about re-selling down the road, and said just keep the old 308 (2-valve) engine with the car when I sell. I am not a 308 purist and having a faster 4-valve is very appealing. So any thoughts and again who has done this?

Il Tifoso likes this.
  2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I know a guy with a 328 engine in his 80 model. In fact I helped him put it in.

It is a far better motor than your 81

3. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Glad to hear that! I agree. The specs on the 328 are outstanding...compared to the 2V. My 81 was a racer so last owner put electromotive starter which I understand will make the 328 engine more stable and efficient. Any thoughts on changing the originality of the 308?

4. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    As long as you hold on to the original engine, you're not doing anything that can't be undone.
    Seems to me you're enhancing the value of the car. It's not as if you're talking Chevy transplant.

5. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Yes! I have seen a few examples of non-Ferrari engines in a genuine Ferrari- 308 as a matter of fact. I guess I am somewhat of a Ferrari purist.

6. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Dr. Tommy or anyone who has done this- Any issues with the engine "heart" transplant? What modifications are required? I know I should be in the "technical" section for this one...but just in general. Thx.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I wish I could help but I don't know.

I should have been more clear when I said I helped him install it. I was in Atlanta one afternoon at an FCA event and the owner asked me to help him drop the motor in at his house nearby. My help was being an extra set if hands.

My point being I have personally seen it done. I drove the car after it was in a year or two later. I liked it.

8. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Would be an interesting upgrade.

9. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I think the swap will be pretty straightforward and beneficial from a performance standpoint. Are you swapping US to US version or a Euro to US or vis-versa? You could have a few differences there but nothing that to difficult.

10. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It will be very interesting and I'll know soon enough. We're moving the 308 into his shop this week and will go over all the specs. One thing the mechanic mentioned was that new caps will be needed for the distributors since we will be using the existing electromotive starter. Any clues on this topic would be grateful.

11. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    As far as I know US to US, but again this was a racer so was a "Frankenstein" during this period- beg, steal, or borrow whatever was needed to race. Can you racers relate to this?

12. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    yes there was a 328 motor put in a 308 gtbi that was for sale here years ago. nice car, i recall it was met grey with red interior? sold fast when they were more sensibly valued.

13. Grahame

Grahame Formula Junior

Nov 9, 2005
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Grahame
    I put a 1988 Mondial 3.2 motor into my 1977 308gt4 about 12 years ago - see photos. It's certainly not original but it made it a better vehicle. Documented in other threads somewhere. Mated easily to the 308 transmission. Chucked the K-jet mechanical fuel injection. Added EFI and a MoTec. Beautifully dyno-tuned right through the rev range with electronic limiter set at 7,700 rpm. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Cheers,
    Grahame

14. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Nice! I'll ask about the fuel injection. Is this something that would be best solution. Do you think this would de-value the car- since so much originality is compromised? My thought is, who cares- I'm the one enjoying it today!

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Don't worry about the "value" of this car with this modification. To begin with you are actually making a seriously big improvement on a car that - sorry - is just never going to explode in value on a level that will make a difference. And even if it did, it won't be by much. You know that it will sell for 30K with no effort at all with that engine in it because the engine itself with the FI and ignition mods are worth close to that alone.

And I am this forum's biggest 308 fan and my favorite model year is the 80-82 2Vi's even with all their issues (sodium valves, bad rings, metric wheels, less rust protection etc)

What I am saying is for every "purist" who will stare down their nose at you before turning away, there will be someone, like myself that will snatch the thing up in a heartbeat.

But more than anything else here - it is YOUR 308 and you should do whatever you want to it that makes you happy. Don't listen to perfect strangers here that want you to do things THEIR way with YOUR car.

Have at it.

16. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Hi Graeme,what sort of dyno figures did you end up with?

17. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian