Why I don't care about new Ferraris | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why I don't care about new Ferraris

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Texas Forever, Nov 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i'll open this up dale and raise you one....

I don't care about new cars....

i don't need all this hi tech crap, drivers aids, etc.... they all distract from the purity of driving.

besides, it it just me or have new cars gone completely INSANE in pricing.

nicholasn and Ak Jim like this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I didn't miss the point of the thread but every other which is better thread or I'm a stick shift guy or I'm a technology guy thread presents the same exact arguments. They all lead to the same arguments. Buy whatever makes you happy and enjoy! I wish I could afford a stick shift and paddle shift Ferrari honestly lol.

3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Pricing aside, they've gone insane on unusable potential performance. The feeling of getting that 3-2 shift right is wonderful, but matching and timing a good 4-2 (or especially a 5-2) into that tightish corner from a high speed is another level. In an odd way, I even enjoy traffic, if only for knowing the exact clutch engagement, rarely wishing I had an automatic.
    Flicking a lever so a computer can do it for you, one foot on the gas and the other on the brake, just doesn't do that.

Mikael-F360, anunakki and INTMD8 like this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I know it's just an opinion, but I don't understand it. The 360 has a coherent design that grows above and below a wedge crease that goes from nose to tail. Everything is round and the design elements flow smoothly. The 458 has a two of what I consider to be conflicting arches on the sides. And the headlights are awful. The most awful part of the design. No way will I ever think a 458 is as pretty as my car, even when I get a 458. Same with the 612. It'll never move me like my 456M did.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    To each his own. If we all thought and liked the same cars we wouldn't have such a great variety to choose from.

If it was solely about performance, as many here sen to think, there are many better, cheaper options than Ferraris. Hell, I had a shifter kart that would outperform almost 90% of them and it only cost me 5k. :)

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Fine with me. I'm just explaining why I have lost interest. I couldn't even tell you the latest lineup. I'm also positive Ferrari doesn't give a rat's behind what I and others think. They never did care what their customers thought in the past, don't see that changing in the future.

bberg009 and G. Pepper like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Not in the real world. In Texas, you get caught doing the dirty boogie well over a 100, some troopers will write you up for street racing. This can be a problem if you have a professional license. (Last time I got nailed, deputy dawg wrote me up for 80, which was only 15 over. He complimented me for having fast reactions.)

bberg009 likes this.
  8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ill be honest, it doesnt matter to me. A 355 has enough performance to satisfy me. I do wonder how many feel as I do but wont admit it for fear of being called a 'poseur'

paulchua likes this.
  9. bberg009

bberg009 Karting

Jan 23, 2016
    Full Name:
    Cancelled my account
    You have a point.... I have a brand new 2017 488 spider, and never owned a Ferrari that was more than 7-8 years old, but I really loved the Testarosa (still do) and still remember my heart skipping a beat when seeing the 360 for the first time in Geneva in 1999. So, I do love the Dino, TR, 328, 355, even the 348, but I also love the feeling of the turbos on my 488.

So, perhaps not one or the other, but like Winnie the Poo said, when Rabbit asked if he wanted milk OR honey: he simply said "yes thanks!!!"..

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Methinks thou doth protest too much. :)

... oh wait. I'm talking to myself again.

Texas Forever, G. Pepper and bberg009 like this.
  11. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'll tell you straight up that the 308 GTSi experience is more, "charming" than the 360 experience for exactly that reason. The 360 was delivered in the rain. I immediately took it out to examine the intervention. Wow. To really explore the 360, I'll have to take it to a track. Lucky for me, COTA is an hour away! :)

anunakki likes this.
  12. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    A 458 is the best looking Ferrari since the 355. To each their own I guess.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. dkyranakis

dkyranakis Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2013
    Centreville, DE
    Full Name:
    Demetri Kyranakis
    Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I'm still waiting for one of you guys to take my 308 in trade for your F1 430;)

bberg009 and paulchua like this.
  15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Realistically, anything faster than 0-60 in 5 seconds is (IS) fast enough.
    Anything that will top 150 MPH is (IS) fast enough.

HH11, jgriff and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree, with the last line especially. A three--pedal manual feels right in a 308, but anachronistic in a modern car. Same with carburetters -- great vintage sounds and smells, but inferior when it comes to performance.

I like the older cars, but having a 308/328 parked next to a 488 would solve all problems.

In any event, I would guess that in the not-too-distant future electric drivetrains will make the gearbox discussion a topic strictly for old men.

bberg009 and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    For a lot of us it isnt the performance that causes us to stick with newer cars, its the comfort and convenience. I love 308s but i am just too uncomfortable in them.

Texas Forever and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I know the feeling, actually. I'm 6'2" and am only comfortable in the 308 with the top off. Top on and I'm pretty cramped.

Texas Forever likes this.
  19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Luckily, I will never have this problem :D

G. Pepper likes this.
  20. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    What's the big deal about "loud"?

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This part of the design just wreaks of "trend follower" and a big deviation from classy. IDK WTF they were thinking...not functional, not particularly pleasing by day. Maybe at night they look OK but it would take an idiot to not understand what the sun can do to piece of clear plastic over time. How cool is it going to be when these plastic strips are all cloudy and gross looking. Oh WOW, they sure looked neato when we pumped them off the assembly line! I don't get it. It's these kind of reveals that show a side to the plot that we probably shouldn't see if one wishes to remain a loyal fan. The rest of the design is pretty badass though, except that any high school girl could drive it since it isn't available in stick ;-)

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back in the Crystal Cove days, listening to the F360s rip down PCH in the fog, priceless.

23. humdizzle

humdizzle Karting

Mar 9, 2016
    I've had my share of manual and dct sports cars. I do miss having a manual but I don't miss the engine out services required just for clutch jobs on the older ferraris and lambos. Not only that but when I buy a used Ferrari I don't need to worry about how the last owner drove it as much because the dct is idiot proof and lasts the lifetime of the car.

For the cost of a clutch job i could prob pick up a used Cayman. Toyota frs. Or BMW m3 and row my own gears.

24. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Doesn't have to necessarily be loud enough to be heard five miles away but a sports car should sound aggressive IMO. The sound adds to the overall experience as it relates to the cars racing DNA. It's like F1 without v12's, it sucks. Formula E blows because they sound like castrated blenders. Electric cars have their place but they will never be as sexy as a v12 or flat crank v8 at 8,000 rpm because they are such a sterile, soulless experience. It's like dating a Ellen Degeneres instead of Catrinel Menghia.

All of these little nuances combine to create the unique experience an exotic car should offer. You decide, Ellen or Catrinel. ;)

25. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My daily driver is a C5 Corvette convertible with manual trans. I sometimes do boy-racer on on/off ramps. I never thought I'd say this, but I find the shifting to be annoying now. Especially after riding in a Maserati GranTourismo and a Mercedes C63S. I would contemplate a DCT Fcar in a few years, but after the warranty period would not want to risk the failure of the speed sensor buried in the trans.