Tesla Roadster | FerrariChat

Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by x z8, Nov 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    Tesla Roadster: 0-60 1.9 sec, Top Speed 250+, Range 600+ miles.

Order placed.

Will I ever purchase another ICE sports car?

2. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    NOT HERE .... PLEASE Jeffrey .... spare us the advertisments for vacuumcleaners .... :)

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

At the end of the day it’s still a Tesla.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you want really fast 0 to 60 acceleration, get one of these:

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Find all about these vacuumcleaners here :D

6. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    The founder's edition of 1000 costs $250K each with a $50K down payment. Musk is taking another $50M interest free money to use for years to come without having to promise a delivery date. If you are glad to join the 300K model 3 back orders, more power to you. Read the fine prints...if Tesla goes out of business what will happen to the $Ms of down payments? People that sell numbers don't really know a lot about sports cars let alone making them. IMHO, Tesla as an EV is way over priced. I love EV's and have been driving them since 2011 - Leaf, i3, etc. They are great daily drivers with many benefits as utility vehicles. If history correctly predicts the Tesla roadsters, the latest version is just another Musk's hype. The difference between a dreamer and a pioneer is execution. For that Musk is way short in many regards.

wrs likes this.
  7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Didn't that famous Italian Charles Ponzi formulate a business plan like this years ago?:eek:

8. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    More Tesla hype...

He's struggling to build Model 3 and yet he promises 2 new models(Truck+Roadster) for 2019/2020.
    And people still believe in all this BS. Incredible!

nicholasn and redcaruser like this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    WORSE: orders are placed ... :D

10. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I currently own a 458 Spider which I love.

I have driven a Tesla in ludicrous mode. Have you? It was very impressive.

Delays are part of the Tesla business. I’m not advocating a stock investment. And I have a short position via options- which I am losing money on. Regardless, they seem to have the capacity to raise almost unlimited amounts of capital- for now.

Yes, this is a great way for Tesla to finance their business- interest free. Startups do this all the time via crowd sourcing.

I can happily enjoy my extended wait in my 458 or one of my Porsche’s.

The performance the Tesla offers would be a million+ if offered by the traditional manufacturers. Tesla has been accurate in the past with their performance specs. Makes my $50,000 deposit relatively a small risk considering the value of the performance. Regardless, that they have a 50 billion stock market value which indicates that they are not likely to go under.

rob lay likes this.
  11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Agreed. Service continues to decline, costs of the cars are going up, and promised delivery dates are guaranteed... to miss. Impressive numbers for these prototypes. Takes a lot to get car onto the road in numbers though.

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    If he can't start delivering more Model 3's the money is going to dry up. They are burning cash like a crack addict at an all you can snort cocaine buffet.

nicholasn and TopspeedPT like this.
  13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I think the roadster looks awesome!

It is important to understand the car for what it is however. An electric car will always be amazing at top speed and off the line acceleration - ICE cars just can't compete in this regard unless they have electric aids too.

However, there's so much more to a super car than 0-60 and top speed. Tesla P100D's have insane 0-60, but I found nothing else fun or engaging about the vehicle. Even the launch lost it's fun very quickly since it feels a really uncomfortable to do it repeatedly.

Another good example of numbers not being the end-all factor: 675LT vs 458 Speciale. the 675LT is no doubt the better performing vehicle, but it's market value clearly shows it is not as desirable from a market perspective.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    MEH

matt0 likes this.
  15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    As an owner of 2 teslas and (one is sold for massive quality issues) and someone with a deposit on a Model 3 (which I will likely get back because nothing tells me this car is coming anytime soon) this Tesla roadster as the Mayor put it is Double MEH.

This is the scam of the century but Elon and Im a fan of EVs. Im willing to be $5000 that no way no how this roadster sees the light of day in 2020. This is an attempt to obfuscate and distract from the fact that they can't even build the Model 3. How in gods name are they going to build the semi or a roadster.

My model X was the worst POS car Ive ever owned. They were delayed in brining it to market and yet they still released a POS car and let owners work out the issues in the field. I can't see Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari etc ever do that. Yes cars have problems, yes there are recalls but the extent to which the newly released Teslas are flawed is unfathomable.

Maybe the roadster will be better if its ever released - maybe Ill buy one. But to compare it to a Ferrari and say that you will never drive an ICE car again is just ludicrous. Ive driven the Tesla. Ive owned Teslas - their quality is utter crap.

The Tesla guys are so happy to get a super fast 0-60 time - but the rest of the driving experience is a big void. Driving home in my 488 the other day, in the rear view mirror I saw a model S weaving in and out of traffic trying to catch up as I was driving slowly. He caught up to me at a red light- rolls down the window in sheer excitement- says to me- Man this is going to be so great!! Whats so great I thought- obviously he wanted to race a 488 off the line and claim superiority - Light turns green- I sit there for a second as he takes off. Zero desire to go to jail cause the cops are gonna haul the 488 guy off, not the Tesla.

Anyways...Roadster. MEH as stated above. Let it actually come to market and then Ill consider if Im going to wet myself. No way, no how do I ever pay another deposit to Tesla again.

TopspeedPT, davidoloan and Alcav5 like this.
  16. tobewiser

tobewiser Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2015
    Acworth, GA, USA
    Enron, Sanford, Madoff, Worldcom, etc. all have similar salesmanship and sophisticated or novice followers who might have believed that 'too big to fail' is real! Among them, Madoff is truly an amazing story as he being the former chairman of NASDAQ lacks the most basics of moral character. CEO's egos and pride sometimes are just as dangerous to themselves and to others that trust them with blind faith. We can only judge by actions through real products. Going by words alone belongs to a different category called 'blind faith' which IMHO is the sole domain of religion.

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Elon is a charlatan. There I said it.

So much BS comes out of his mouth.

TopspeedPT and redcaruser like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Model 3, which is primarily a scaled down version of the S, has due to production issues, been delayed almost 2 years. The debut of the Roadster, if ever available, will definitely not be before 2022. I like speed in a super car, but intrinsic to the entire super car ownership experience is the aesthetics, performance and over all excitement they engender. The Tesla would have to get a whole lot nicer to look as good as a Porsche Boxster, will be devoid of any sound and rest assured, given their past designs, have a cheap interior. Why would I give up my Ferrari, Lambo and Ferrari for that.

Add to this, Tesla is requesting I help finance their venture with a 5 year interest free loan.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

This.

GM, Porsche, Mercedes Ferrari etc etc etc announce car. Car goes into production and is delivered on time.

Tesla announces car. Then announces delay of production. Then announces delay of production again. Then they do a super fancy launch because Elon gives a super duper double secret probation hard deadline cause stock is tanking- they hand build 5-10 cars and with much fanfare hand them off to the owners. Then the regular production cars are delayed again. Then slowly they start delivering cars and initial 3-4 thousand have massive problems and finally they get their act together about 2 years after launch and have smooth production and manufacturing.

Happened with the S. Happened with the X. Is happening with the 3. What fool would give a 200k deposit on vaporware that may or may not make it to market. Its not like its a limited production Ferrari. This will be a mass production car and they are going to make as many as possible to sell them. No thank you. Ill keep my 200k. You can get your funding elsewhere.

20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    The part that bugged me the most was how they proclaimed their truck's drag coefficient was less than that of the Bugatti Chiron. Then the whole crowd cheered like it was some huge innovation of performance.

I'm willing to bet very few people in that crowd understood that the Chiron obviously is looking at having copious amounts of downforce too, which often comes with extra drag. It doesn't mean the Chiron is a poorly designed car.

They probably all thought "LOL Bugatti engineers such noobs. they make million dollar super car and can't even beat Tesla truck"

TopspeedPT and davidoloan like this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Wait....order placed as in 250 wired?? seriously??

22. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Yep I talked to a buddy this am about the car. He placed his order for a founders edition about 30 min later. Made me promise not to tell his wife or talk about it at dinner when we see them this weekend..lol. granted he is a different league and worth close to a B....

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Wow there is a lot of Tesla Hate
    I don’t share that sentiment at all
    I hope we see more electric or rather all electric.

I am sure that battery technolofy can And will improve in all regards.

Should Ferrari be involved with Formula E racing? I think it would be a good thing

After all, racing is racing

rob lay likes this.
  24. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Tesla lacks experience in racing and sports car design/ manufacturing.

An all electric Ferrari would be quick around the track and formidable.

With the right design aesthetics, it could be highly desirable too.

Of course there are those that would hate it. Just like how some hate turbo and paddles and anything less than a V12.

That’s ok. Plenty of choices in a free world!

TopspeedPT likes this.
  25. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
    0-60 time is nuts... but never giving up my 458 driver