328 Quattrovalve in my 81' 308 GTsi | FerrariChat

328 Quattrovalve in my 81' 308 GTsi

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by raines, Nov 3, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hey Guys,

Excited to start on restoration of my 81' 308, but my mechanic has a 328 Quattrovalve and recommends we by-pass buying replacement 308 head parts and instead install the 328Q engine. FYI. My 308's OV cams mushroomed the tappets, hence lobes were badly worn. I asked him about re-selling down the road, and said just keep the old 308 (2-valve) engine with the car. I am not a 308 purist and having a faster 4 valve is very appealing. So any thoughts are welcome.

2. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    I have never driven the 308......But my first Ferrari was a 328 Q. I remember when I walked into the dealer showroom and I wanted to buy the 308 they had on the floor and was told it was their last one and it was already sold. That the 308 was discontinued and the 328 with its much faster engine was a much better buy. I was not disappointed.

3. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just purchased the 328 engine! I can't wait until I can drive with the new 328 engine in and compare. It's been about 10 years since I drove the 308 2V, so may be tough. Anyone drive both and what are the main differences?

4. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A 308 fuel injected 2 valve is a turkey. I had a 1981 version years ago. The thing couldn't get out of it's own way. It was plenty fast, but not very quick. My next 308 was a QV. What a difference. The concept of putting a 328 motor in your car sounds exciting. You'll have quite a hot rod. Please let us know where you go with this project. I am sure there are some fellow fchatters that have knowledge about this type of swap.

5. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #5 peterp, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    You will be very happy with the upgrade. The 328 motor is an absolute jewel -- a lot of power (for the displacement/time) yet super docile. The 308 2-valve FI engine was severely impaired by emissions/FI -- it was a fine motor when it was carbureted, but the FI just strangled it.

The 3.2 motor was fast for its time/displacement, the 3.0 2-valve motor was quite slow for its time (for a high-end exotic car). You had to rev the 3.0 2-valve to get any power, but the 3.2 is responsive all over the rev range (not exactly a torquemaster, but very peppy under any conditions where you aren't lugging the engine).