EMBLEM OR NOT THAT IS THE QUESTION | Page 2 | FerrariChat

EMBLEM OR NOT THAT IS THE QUESTION

Discussion in '308/328' started by modena1898, Dec 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Oh my God, even an Italian car from Palermo...

I think the big problem 308-328 have, is that they don't cost enough. I never saw such a massacre on a 275 GTB/4.

In any case everyone can do what he wants, but those things make my heart suffer... ;)

I'm too much an OEM condition Taliban, I know, but...

Ciao

DMWC and Rosey like this.
  3. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Correct, it's because they are not the price of most other 70's and 60's Ferrari that people do that to a car.
    No way would a million dollar Ferrari get this type of modification.

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    There is a 250GT with a Chevy motor that comes to our local Cars & Coffee once in a while.

5. robbie

robbie F1 Rookie

Aug 26, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm always amazed at how these thread morph. The OP just asked about 328 originality which is clearly No Shields. If anyone wants to modify their car to suit their tastes .. go for it .. your name is on the pink slip. Different strokes for different folks .. end of story.

obertRo likes this.
  6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The thread ended immediately, as the answer to the question was "no". Then everyone added something to talk a bit: It's not a crime! everyone has his own taste and can prefer a car with a Chevy engine inside, 19" rims and Carbon fiber seats, why not.

Ciao

7. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Still doesn't make it right. :(

8. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    All 33 of the 250 GTO's built are extremely well documented, none are powered by a Chevy engine. The car could possibly be a "re-creation" or a "kit car" but not a real GTO.

If the guy says that he has a bridge that he will sell to you, my advice is to run away.

edit to add link
    http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/by-serial-number/ferrari-by-serial-number/model-index-60-64/model-summary/250-gto-index/index.html

syata likes this.
  9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

There is quite a bit of difference between a 250GT and a 250GTO............but I'm sure you know that.

10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #35 Brian A, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Okay, okay. I don't know my old Ferraris very well, so I'm not sure what model it was. It was red.

It would be a GT not a GTO, but I am doubting myself at any rate. Hopefully someone who has seen it can chime in. There are two photos of it at the January 2017 Blackhawk Museum C&C, and it looks a little boxier than I remember it: https://www.facebook.com/BlackhawkMuseum/photos/a.1329282020447464.1073741917.121194731256205/1329285590447107/?type=3&theater

I can safely say that it was real, makes occasional appearances at Blackhawk Cars and Coffee and Concorso Italiano. It is also one of the cars featured in the book, "Bowtie Ferraris."

The owner also has that extremely cool 1940s style powder-green car transporter which he converted from a fire truck.

I am not crazy; just incompetent.

NYC Fred likes this.
  11. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    To me, posting a new thread is a bit like tossing a feather into the wind and watching where it blows. The last moment of control is when it leaves your hand.

It is great that there are competent posters willing to work against the huge forces of entropy in the internet universe, but there is no truth there either; it is impossible to tell the 13 year old girls posing as professional Ferrari techs (and vice versa).

Yes, the OP's question was answered simply and quickly.

Rosey likes this.
  12. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #37 i-velocita, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    The car is a 250gte. Pretty example. Too bad about the engine. There is a long history of bowtie Ferraris.

13. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Opps, sorry, my mistake. These senior moments are getting all too frequent.

14. modena1898

modena1898 Rookie

Apr 3, 2006
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Walter Szyszka
    Wow, a lot of passionate people out there. Personally, I like they way they look but I’m also a little fastidious about originality, that’s why I’ve chosen not to place them on my car. Can we all move on?

15. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Unless they came on the car from the factory, IMHO, they are "cheesy"...

16. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think they're cheesy on most of the modern cars coming out of the factory. If I ever buy one of these, I'll be looking for a no-shields car.

17. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I actually despise the shields on any car that they didn't come from the factory with. I feel the same way about swapping wheels around. Nothing wrong with it, but I hate how the cars look with the wrong wheels.

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Back in the day - like some of the early 250 GT's coupe and Spiders, we are talking late 1950's, some Ferrari's got Corvette replacement engines as the owners could not find anyone to rebuild an engine. I know of one car that used to be here in the south a 250 PF coupe that has a period Corvette engine in it. sounds terrible but the owner likes it, and I think is / was looking to find the original engine ... this was 10 years or more ago.

19. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Besides the original wheels, what other wheels you think that looks right?

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Personally - None.

Those 80's BBS TA-style are horrible; black rims are a close second.

308 milano likes this.
  21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The only wheels I would possibly change to would be those Stratos coffin spokes. They look pretty cool.

22. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown

Besides the original wheels, what other wheels you think that looks right?

I absolutely, positively, and definitely agree 100%

(Small exception: The 14" wheels do not look so great. But I would only replace them with later 308 Ferrari wheels.)

308 milano and thorn like this.
  23. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Hi Mike, my personal opinion is that NO other wheel looks good on Ferraris except OEM wheels. I had an aftermarket set of wheels on my 308 for about 1 month. Hated them. Put the OEM 16 inch wheels back on and never looked back.

thorn likes this.
  24. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    To me, the factory Ferrari rims are pretty iconic. They are true "mag wheels" admired by other marques and enthusiasts alike. I do think the coffin spoke wheels are pretty cool, because of the Michelotto tie. The BBS-style basket weaves, on the other hand, seem too "German car" for me. I feel no restlessness regarding factory wheels on my car.

Regarding the debate about the shields, I see it as such a petty issue. An owner probably likes shields because it reminds her/him of the sporting heritage of Ferrari, which is cool. I see this is no different than putting on a license plate frame of a favorite sports team.

25. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OEM 14" wheels absolutely look the best. The profile is wonderful & fits the shape elegantly. It's probably the last thing I'd change about my car. It's also the aspect most frequently commented on favourably by non-Ferrari car guys I come across. They love it, because it sets the car in the era it belongs and because whilst they are all familiar with the general 308 shape, the tyre profiles are less obvious until you see the car in the flesh :)