Countach LP400 Vintage Photos | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Countach LP400 Vintage Photos

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Lambocars666, Jul 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Another framed image from Stanzani's collection: First track test - Misano - 17.4.73
    He can be seen on the left side of the lower image...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    hyenahf and Lambocars666 like this.
  3. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    These pictures are absolutely amazing! It is great that you get access to Paolo Stanzani's collection and that you can share it, thanks a million for all of us. That is a great way to make his memory live on.

Lambocars666 likes this.
  4. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed.

5. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    No great achievement. Anyone who stays at Locanda del Toro will find these images, and more, displayed on the staircase...
    https://www.locandadeltoro.it/

Lambocars666 likes this.
  6. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    And here is another, undated. I can see eight people working on this car but which one is it?
    It cannot be 1120001 since the open scissor doors are visible far left...

hyenahf and em42 like this.
  7. Lambocars666

Lambocars666 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I don't think so.
    1120098 was finished in May 1975. I believe the roof was modified to accomodate the TV antenna, the 2x 5 slits/vents remain normal.
    If there would have been a new roof panel made specificallyfor that car, the remaining Periscopio panel would have been reused way before the built of 1121030 in late 1978. Some LP400 were damaged during the production era.

Anyways, 1121030 not only has a Periscopio roof, but the whole car appears to have been a LP400 at some point.

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Nevertheless, thanks for sharing!

Agreed, the rear tail-lights sans bezels preclude it from being 1120001

9. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
  10. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
    It is indeed #1120001 being built!
    The drape covers the taillight just enough to make us confused, but it is really 0001. I have this photo dated February 19th 1973.
    The open scissor door in the background is the yellow LP500 prototype, that was still used for engine development at that time.

hyenahf, joe sackey and em42 like this.
  11. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
  12. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    Great Pictures Victor!

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks for clarifying this!

14. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I just acquired this for my collection...

Not only advertising the new German Lamborghini dealer "opens on 21st September 1974 in München in Odeonsplatz",
    it's actually the oldest Countach LP400 advert known to date (appart from the Geneva brochure-poster featuring #1120001).

Funny thing is: the LP400 here was not #1120016 the first Countach to Germany, but #1120012 the first Countach to France...
    as #11200016 was no ready yet at that time of printing the ad!

em42 likes this.
  15. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
  16. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
    You wouldn't believe how many LP400 went to the Middle-East back in the days...
    But for a Prince, owning the same car as his cousin's is something unacceptable!

LP400 #1120062 was completed in March 1975, originally ordered in a classic Yellow - Brown "Giallo Fly - Tabacco" color scheme, for a Saudi Prince.
    But later, this particular Countach was brought back from Saudi Arabia to the Lamborghini factory to be completely repainted into something "more unique"!
    Here it is, in February 1977, ready for its Royal owner to bring it home.

17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Victor, can you comment on the fake "LP500" that is said to be under construction in Turin using parts said to have been 'found' from the original car?

This is an important topic of discussion.

18. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Are you talking about this Raging Bull Sh*t pictured below?

Well, in the novel of Mary Shelley and the old movie made from it, Dr. Frankenstein had built his creature using many rotten limbs and organs from different dead bodies, believing it could lead to great success. It actually scared the hell out of the community, except for an old blind man and an innocent little girl.
    I believe the owner of this Countach-monster is either looking for an old blind man or an innocent little girl to spend one or two millions on it.

19. Lambocars666

Mar 19, 2010
    FR, CH, CN
    Full Name:
    Victor
    OK, more seriously.

I happen to know who the owner of this sad Countach is, but I'm still not sure if he really knows what it's all about.
    I sincerely wish he knew some people, like myself, are ready to help!

Really, this scam is 28 years old now!

It all started from a wreck supposedly found in Sweden back in 1989. The crashed LP400 was green with brown interior and advertized as the broken and long lost Countach prototype 1120001.
    It actually came badly damaged, with no engine, no transmission, no interior, no wheels, no name, no what, no who... slim shady...
    Supposedly brought back to Italy by someone willing to "restore" it, that poor thing got some parts from many different Countach, just like a big jigsaw puzzle; but the masquerade suddenly stopped, well... paused, when the true LP400 #1120001 was discovered by Raymond and added to the factory Museo in 2001.

Now some people still want to resurrect that dead Countach? Fair enough. But still calling it what it has never been, some kind of an early prototype? No way!

Let me tell you a(nother?) story:

In a country far, far away, was sleeping a beautiful LP400, wearing a rather unique livery. It had slept for so long it could actually not wake up, because the Law... Nah, you can't register that thing anymore!

During the same era, another LP400, that was actually legal, had crashed. So the brilliant idea of swapping the two cars' ID plates, VIN, papers, registration, etc. came to some people's mind as the only solution to use the nice car on the road again.

Sometime later in that same kingdom where some Countach seemed to be persecuted like illegal spaceships, another -still legal- LP400 was crashed even more badly, to the point it certainly could not be repaired.
    Guess what? That other previous crashed LP400, the one had given away its identity to the sleeping beauty... it could now finally be restored! Using the ID plates, VIN, papers, registration, etc. of that third car? Yes, they did!

The legend says most of the useful parts were taken away from the third car to help rebuild other cars... The engine was kept away for some other project. But someday the main corpse disappeared.

I know where the first and second Countach of this tale currently reside, but some of the owners actually don't know about the illegal matter of their cars' history!
    About the third one, it happened to be a green with brown interior LP400.

And then, a badly crashed green / brown LP400 with a fake identity pops up somewhere between Sweden and Italy some time after.

Interesting...

Oh, between us... there even are two other LP400 with a rather similar story... But that's another tale to be shared later.

So, back to business: I've told many people already but I guess I shall scream it louder:

!! IF YOU OWN AN EARLY COUNTACH AND NEED HELP FOR RESTORATION AND/OR HISTORY IDENTIFICATION, THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WILLING TO HELP !!
    :)

20. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia
    very interesting

pity a lot of people are not willing to be helped ;)
    thinking of finding the blind old man in the web time is easy

21. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    That there is some great reading.

22. em42

em42 Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    Impressive... and frightening... research!
    Thanks a lot for sharing.

23. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Thanks for sharing that wonderful story about the swapped LP400 identities. The many things that have happened post production make Lamborghini in period look like amateurs!

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bravo Victor! I posed the question because I think these stories should be shared. In Lamborghiniland, there are a fair number of different models with an identity crises created by automotive skulduggery that beggars belief. I pitched the ball and you hit it out of the park. Well-played sir.

25. LC3929

LC3929 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    But why did you ask for a "fake LP500"? Victor's answer is not about a "fake LP500".

Jota 5084 likes this.