Battery Tender Problems on 458? | FerrariChat

Battery Tender Problems on 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dc3843, Jan 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    So, I'm not sure if my tender is acting up, or I just don't know how it works. My 458 has been sitting since the toy run with the tender on it and plugged in. I have been missing the sound so I went over and tried to start it tonight. Car unlocks and dash lights up, but not enough juice to start the car. Did I catch it on a down cycle and should it be taking the battery so low that the car wont start? I had Boardwalk check out my battery just a few days before the toy run and they said it was fine. What do you all think?

David

Robtheheat likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    So, Toy Run was almost a month ago. Did you notice if the lights on the tender were green before you unplugged it? How old is the battery in your 458? I had some issues with OEM tender/battery when I bought my Cali - strange warning lights on the TFT display. After switching to a new battery/tender - no such problems - knock on wood...T

3. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    The lights were green when I plugged it in. The light is amber now. I checked on it a week or so ago and the light was completely off which, honestly, may have been my contractors fault. They've been killing power to the house while they do work.

4. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    Not sure about the battery age. I'll have to give it a peek

5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sounds like the battery got too low. I upgraded my OEM to this CTEK model...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FRLO9Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

about 2 months ago, and am very happy with it. It has "snowflake" mode, which is great if you have a car with HELE and an AGM battery, plus more lights to follow the progress of the charge on your battery...T

Buckwest and dc3843 like this.
  6. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Have noticed something similar. After exactly a week on the tender if I just unlock the door the lights change to less than full. Starting is difficult. Relocate the door and let it sit some hours and it tops up again!

Now after a week I just cycle the door lock and the the tender works correctly.

Weird.

SV

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^ Mine was similar before new battery. Open door, trunk, etc. the tender light went from green to amber, then took hours to get back to green. No such issues with new tender and battery, plus I try to make sure she gets driven at least once or twice a week...T

dc3843 likes this.
  8. phatteus

phatteus Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2007
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I also had problems in winter with longer periods between drives while plugged into the "free" charger. I too moved to the better CTEK version and have never seen the issue again.

dc3843 likes this.
  9. Nsd991

Nsd991 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2012
    The car won’t start well with tender plugged in. Remove the tender from both the wall outlet and the car and try starting the car.

10. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    Did that, no dice

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #11 Melvok, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Please give us the information we need first: what car, year, old or new battery etc ...

Most problems are due to old battery; that is 2 years or older.

But most of this topic and many same Q's have been written in some large threads here, do the search for that info please !

One thread: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/458-battery-problems.414285/

Second: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/does-any-try-ctek-battery-mentainer-on-458.563311/

Third :https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/battery-charger-vs-battery-meintainer.563692/

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I've seen instances in which a malfunctioning tender would drain the battery, namely if plugged in for very extensive (and unsupervised) periods of time.

My personal experience on my battery (older than 2 years): 2 weeks plugged in, 5 days unplugged. Repeat. So far so good (knock on wood).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

tomc likes this.
  13. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Some follow on questions about the battery tender. I am not a fan of the included tender with my 458 Spider and would prefer using the CTEK 7002 or 4.3 that I use with all my other cars. I've read through the archived discussions about people creating/buying a CTEK cable with the 4 Position Circular Receptacle that connects to the 458 battery connector, specifically wkumari's very detailed information. When people say they have switched to a 7002, did you make/buy a custom connector or are you connecting to the battery some other way, maybe with the CTEK comfort connect eyelet connectors? Although I am an engineer, my cable making skills are very poor.

14. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

I purchased a custom connector from EBay for my 7002.

Don’t bother getting the 4.3. I’m pretty certain that the Ferrari tender is the same model as the 4.3. They both share the same part code on their label.

rob5819 likes this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Local F-car dealer had the requisite adapter for my Cali, so I'd start there.

Nuno's post above is an excellent one. A bad tender can put more stress on your battery, especially if the battery is getting old. Your dealer should be able to test the battery for you...T

rob5819 likes this.
  16. dc3843

dc3843 Karting

Dec 13, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    David Conrad
    So, you're all gonna laugh at me, but I'm gonna share my experience anyway, to add to the convo and get some activity on this forum. lol. If you're having problems with your tender, make sure the outlet its plugged into actually has power to it. Turns out with all the construction going on at my house, the workers blew the GFCI outlet in the garage. Reset it, car is charging as normal and starts fine. Guess I shoulda started with the basics! Duh.

agentbb007, Melvok and tomc like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Happy ending! Now plug her in, and go driving. It's a gorgeous day out!
    T

waterking and dc3843 like this.
  18. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Thanks for the replies about the battery tender. I'll check with my local dealer to see if they have the appropriate cable or buy one off eBay. I like the 7002 tender, but the 4.3 has worked pretty well for me as well and shows the seven steps the tender goes through. The local service guys installed a Maserati labeled 4.3 in my wife's Gran Turismo that has the connection come out in the trunk. I wish the Ferrari version showed more info than just the amber or green light.

19. aggiestckl

aggiestckl Karting

Jul 15, 2016
    Doylestown, PA
    I plugged in Wednesday night it was Amber than Thursday morning green, than Thursday night until now Amber again, is this normal operating sequence? Voltage on car is good and starts fine
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #20 Melvok, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Can you see the year of battery ?

I bet it is over 2 years ... so start buying a new AGM battery right now ...

In my Yolo thread I explain diy exchange of the battery in a 458 :D

Showing my $ 20 non-oem trickle charger ... just cut off connector of the oem charger end connect.

Now you can see what happens ...

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's the behavior my Cali displayed when the battery started to go bad. Cycling of the tender between green and amber. Have you seen any odd warnings on the TFT display upon startup?

I would upgrade the tender first since that's the cheaper and faster option. But, as indicated above, I'd also start looking into replacing the battery...T

Melvok likes this.
  22. aggiestckl

aggiestckl Karting

Jul 15, 2016
    Doylestown, PA
    What’s the aftermarket battery option and what’s best new tender that will have new plug for 458?

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any 74 Amps battery with same size will do. It's just a car.

Obviously you did nor read yet all the advises which are here available ... :D

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The plug ....

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I doubt it'll be easy to find any with the Ferrari specific adapter. Talk to the service people at your dealer in regards to the correct adapter...T