Gotta love David Clarke.... AKA.... I just broke a second Bose... | FerrariChat

Gotta love David Clarke.... AKA.... I just broke a second Bose...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by MarkPDX, Aug 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Going back to my trusty David Clarke head set from when I started flying as it just works.

A few years ago I got a Bose headset (dunno model, it's the older one) and within a year the flimsy plastic "arms" that went on either side of the ear cups broke. It went back to Bose and was fixed under warranty but it didn't take long before it developed another issue, apparently with the cord, where there is a loose connection and it occasionally cuts completely out unless you hold very still. Went back to the David Clarke's for a while and then got the new Bose A20 which worked pretty well for two years and now it's falling apart and nearly left me stranded on a recent flight as it almost completely came apart on me. Don't get me wrong the noise cancellation is pretty good..... but you gotta have extra batteries because they don't insulate noise nearly as well as an old school headset and it sucks without the noise cancellation.

So I'm going back to David Clarke's for a while as I'm fed up with these thousand dollar headsets falling apart every 1-2 years.

Just venting.

2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I've had DC, Bose, and Lightspeed (Zulu's). They all seemed to provide different levels of comfort (re attenuation) depending on airplane. I think resonant frequencies of engine, windscreen, etc all contributed to performance, or lack of, and the various models were engineered for certain ranges. Overall I think the Zulu's were the best, and cheaper than DC or Bose.

None of the powered headsets work well passively.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Not to put anyone down or to be a " well, we used to do this..." But I can't believe that I flew so many times in an open cockpit behind a Continental R670, a Ranger, a Lycoming R680, or an R985 without ear plugs or anything and still have good hearing. It surprises me and I am very lucky except when my wife gets on my case. Then I go into automatic deaf. I have known too many old pilots who are almost deaf...at age 50. I lived on the beach in Florida with no sun screen, no hat, and no sunglasses and I don't have any problems yet. But maybe when I'm 100 something will pop up.

4. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    ^ you're lucky. I got my first skin cancer removed at 30. My surfing buddy had several at 20.
    Back to the OP. I typically stay away from Bose and need an ANR headset. Dc makes them.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I use Lightspeed headsets, and have been pretty lucky with them. I did have a cord fail on one of them, but Lightspeed took care of it even though it was out of warranty. I have both some Zulu.2s and Sierras, and they all work fine.

6. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ive been using the Telex 850 Noise cancelling units for years now. No problems and around $400. So kinda middle of the road.

I gave my old DC's to my brother when he went in to flight school.

7. Tim Wells

Tim Wells Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2009
    Dallas, GA
    Full Name:
    Tim Wells
    I found out the hard way that Bose stands for Buy Other Sound Equipment.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    ooops, wrong thread

9. VWH3RD

VWH3RD Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2003
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I have owned both DC and Bose without issue. I have 8 Bose currently and absolutely love them.

10. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    This thread made me think of something; my David Clark H10-13.4s are 22 years old and still work flawlessly. That said, I do love my Bose A20s.

11. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    Another endorsement for Lightspeed Zulu series. I love the Bose (I have the A20) but find the Lightspeed Zulus (I have the Zulu 2)much more comfortable on long hauls.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    My Lightspeeds are still working fine. I own a number of them now.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Question for you Lightspeed guys. Does the boom mike rotate 180 degrees? Last time I checked they didn't. It would be good for a left seater but not someone in the right seat.

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'm pretty sure it does.

15. CavalloRosso

CavalloRosso Formula 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Atlanta, GA/Vail, CO
    Full Name:
    SVO
    It does. Also rotates in the Bose. Not sure about DC

16. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I tried one of my Lightspeeds last night, and it would only do 180 degrees. But I don't know if that was a Zulu or a Sierra... I'll have to take a closer look next time I'm at my hangar.