Meeting a top US Air Force pilot | FerrariChat

Meeting a top US Air Force pilot

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by phil the brit, Jan 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    I had the pleasure of meeting a top US air force pilot a few weeks ago.
    I was on a cruise ship travelling from Barcelona to Florida and on the last day in the rear sunbed area I got talking to a guy who used to fly the SR71 Blackbird and also the U2 Spy plane.
    Spent a fascinating couple of hours talking to him, was pretty much enthralled by all of his stories and could have listened to him all day.
    He graciously signed his autograph before we parted.
    His name was Brian Burt.
    Has anyone else met any great aviators?

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I see one in the mirror every time I shave....;)

phrogs likes this.
  3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    And I've never met Taz in person, but I e-mail him once from a Holiday Inn....

4. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    And I am privileged to know both David and Terry (killer58 and tazandjan).

Best regards,

Robert

5. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Admiral, I forgot you're on this site too.
    As is Al, and I suspect he'll post a picture of us at your USNA reunion.
    So to amend my answer to Phil, I have indeed met two "great aviators."

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I collect old fighter squadron patches from WW II, to the end of the Vietnam War. Years ago, I spent considerable time trying to locate material over the phone. I spoke to a retired U2 pilot about a different unit patch. I was after a patch from one of the units assigned to Turner AFB. The retired pilot told me, at the time, Garry Powers lived just upstairs from him.

I spoke to a retired pilot who survived the Pearl Harbor attack. He was assigned to the 19th Pursuit Squadron. After P.H., they took P-26's out of the crate and flew CAP. During the late 1950's he was the D.O., of the 506th Tactical Fighter Wing, at Tinker AFB. In 'less' than twenty years he went from the open cockpit and fixed landing gear P-26, to the supersonic F-100D.

I have heard additional colorful stories.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Ray Brooks, Chuck Yeager, Leo Thorsness, Joe Engle and several more at the Gathering of Eagles at Maxwell AFB in 1987. Jan and I sponsored Ray Brooks and we stayed in contact until he died in 1992, the last US WW-I ace. Bud Day in the club at Eglin AFB. Bernie Fisher, who lived a couple of houses down from us at Sheppard AFB. My father, who was a P-47D pilot in WW-II, and a bunch of his buddies, including Francis Gabreski when I was very young and Dad was flying P-51Ds out of Shaw.

8. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Years ago, I spoke to the late COL Day USAF Ret., over the phone. Another pilot gave me his contact information. I was trying to find something from when he was assigned to Bergstrom AFB - before the Vietnam War. I believe I called Bernie Fisher about the 42nd FIS. He also flew the Dog out of O' Hare. His name was on the 42nd reunion roster.

Twice, I have re-united pilots who lost contact with each other.

9. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear David,

In addition to Al, I must include Bill (dogdish) among my great aviator friends.

Best regards,

Robert

Dogdish likes this.
  10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Met a Marine aviator.
    Many years ago (in the early '70's) met and talked for a while to Greg Boyington at an airshow here in CO. At an airport that no longer exists.
    Nice conversation. Autographed my copy of "Baa Baa Black Sheep", he tried to talk me into buying another one..

He worked at Boeing as a draftsman for a couple years out of school. Was a POW with Louis Zamparini

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Forgot, Robbie Risner was my Air Division Commander (832nd AD) at Cannon AFB when I first got there.

12. The Godmother

The Godmother Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Marci H.
    I took up flying again after a long layoff. My flight instructor was Richard Graham, SR-71 pilot. I have also met his RSO, Don Emmons.

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #13 ralfabco, Jan 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    The late Don Blakeslee. Widows as well. Hanoi Hilton prisoners. Guys who flew the Pigs up North.

An Aviator who flew the Ryan Fireball. A Marine Aviator who flew in the Okinawa Campaign and Korea, with the F4U-1. Avenger Aviators.

Rylen Rudy who flew the F9F-5 in Korea with VMF-311. Mig killers who flew the F-86A,E, and F. Zipper jocks. Guard Bums. Fortunate to talk with them. Lots of others.

14. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    FYI. Aviators gave excellent reviews about the Bearcat. Like the best airplane flown during a long career ! They love that airplane.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Was quite an airplane, basically the smallest airframe you could fit around an R2800.

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    That would be an amazing experience !

MDS

17. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    My Civil Air Patrol squadron commander (Orlando Cadet Squadron) in the early 70's flew B-17's over Germany in WWII.