Roller coaster landing | FerrariChat

Roller coaster landing

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Ferrari_250tdf, Jan 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    During a storm low in Düsseldorf two days ago

I would love to see an interview with a passenger.

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Wow those are some awesome pilots! Airline pilots what's it like to land in these conditions? I know part of it is an optical illusion, but I looks almost like they are hovering, blowing around in the wind. That said, the smoke off the wheels tell you otherwise.

What was the vehicle with lights on doing in one of the landings? It pulled up and stopped in the background on or near the end of the runway.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

All Dash 8's? Different airlines.
    The early ones had a history of main gear failure on landing... think they had to beef them up.

The vehicle w/ emergency lights didn't look like it stopped to me...

Telephoto lens forshortens everything.

4. cutlass

cutlass Rookie

Mar 22, 2009
    Looks like they had the emergency vehicle on standby in case the plane crashed on touchdown

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That airplane design looks off and not ideal. Why don't I see them in the US?

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Some really happy pilots seeing those ground roll spoilers pop up.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

#7 Tcar, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    What do you think is wrong with the design????

Many (100's) in the US... Horizon, United Express, Continental, etc. etc. many regionals use them.
    It's really a great plane... made in Canada by Bombardier, from the deHavilland dash 8.

8. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Those folks have some chops! Great video for illustrating the importance of a go-around - why you should never feel compelled to force the landing.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Until the jet age, most large airports were built with three (or more) runways in an equilateral-triangle arrangement, providing runways 60 degrees apart, so that significant crosswinds were never a problem. Even airports we don't think of as that way today, such as Atlanta, Miami, New York (JFK) and London (LHR) had that arrangement.

But with the advent of large jets which seem to be more tolerant of crosswinds, many airports today have all the runways in the same direction, or nearly so, just as the aforementioned ATL, MIA and LHR, or at most in a 90 degree layout, like JFK. The other runways are either long gone or are now used, in part, as taxiways. But I think pilots of these smaller aircraft wish they were still there!