Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5 | Page 321 | FerrariChat

Countach Downdraft 1985 to 1988.5

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Oct 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Jude, I'm aware of just one car, which I believe is in Spain, an LP500S.

Exciting to hear of your Downdraft @ the DC event, please post pics when you can.

2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Speaking of the cars being enjoyed, we are trying to continue Raymond's tradition and do that with the Mimran Downdraft whenever possible, in this image below we were spotted by a Flickr photographer, my daughter in the passenger seat.

For fun, caption this one: Snug Fit - Some Tall People in a Countach.

For me, using these cars is a personal thing, and I don't typically show my cars at events any longer (instead I find it satisfying to share via articles or other media), rather, I like to do normal things with the family like go for lunch, or run a few local errands with it, maybe go for a blast on some good roads early one morning.

So if you see a Countach in a strange color randomly on the road in Orange County California, that's probably us!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

judealexander and Allen S. like this.
  3. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    An english guy he posted years ago on lambo talk.

4. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    as it should be... they are meant to be driven.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That makes sense as it was formerly UK-registered B 41 EGP, and has recently been seen Spanish-registered 4410 DKG.

Canna di Fucile with gold wheels.

6. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  7. Lemacc

Lemacc Formula 3
    BANNED

Mar 16, 2008
    Germany
    Do we know this example?

8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  9. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    I agree with you, but also think “who cares?”.

By starting this thread Joe has brought a huge community of Countach people together and enabled a huge amount of information to be shared, which is brilliant.

If he wants to coin the phrase “downdraft”, so be it, but it is a Sackey-ism not a Lamborghini-ism!

jb21 and joe sackey like this.
  10. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    #8010 P300V8, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    375+, joe sackey and Robert W like this.
  11. I don't know who coined it, but it has been around longer than the term low body. When I started searching for a Countach, probably 12 years ago, it was being used. Even Roy used it on a red/tan/wing well driven car, with polished wheels for something like 60k if anyone remembers that one. Interestingly the S1, 2, & 3 designation was not being used, from my shopping then as well. Everyone just said it sat lower & had a 4.0 with 2 distributors. At any rate, the Countach market is more defined as to a description than what it ever was originally by Lamborghini, and imo this site has had a lot to do with that.

joe sackey likes this.
  12. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    I would be very interested in knowing anything about this car, including if a photo of it exists anywhere. I think it was driven from the factory as a RHD car on an EE plate to the UK, then on to Australia as was common practice, but no idea of anything more.

joe sackey likes this.
  13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #8013 joe sackey, Jan 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2018

Thank you Robert!

As a figment of Patrick Mimran's vivid imagination, Nuova Automobili Lamborghini SpA made several of these wide-body vertical-louvers Countachs, some with Downdraft engines (below) and others with Fuelies.

The Countach model with so many variants produced over 16 years is the epitome of differences within a model range, so simple monikers are useful in defining the variants. IMO, monikers simply speak to the enthusiasm for a particular variant. As regards the S1, S2 & S3 for the Countach, @ 20 years ago I thought that the S1, S2, S3 distinction afforded the Espada variants made perfect sense, and so I started referring to the LP400S in the same obvious way in correspondence I had with fellow owners, enthusiasts and historians, such as Lamborghini Club President Jim Kaminski, Trefor Thomas et al - this was long before any forums! Perhaps others used it before me but I had never heard anyone use the S1/S2/S3 distinction at that point, and frankly I though it may not be accepted, however, I was fine with that as it worked for me. Fast forward 20 years and IMO everyone seems to use it. The Periscopa moniker was already in accepted use by others in the same community at least around the same time 20 years ago, I have no idea who coined that one (or variations of it that have emerged) but it's perfect. I first recall the Downdraft expression being used around that time yet again amongst the same group of people, again, I have no idea who first said the word Downdraft to describe these cars but it's also utterly perfect. When I used it to start this thread, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine it would be an issue for anyone, but, people have a right to question anything. That said, to hear people say that they have never heard of them being used is a bit funny, I mean, really? Still, when it comes to descriptive monikers, I'll always agree, whatever works.

In conclusion, if I had to place the timing of the emergence of these names, I would say they began to emerge @ 20 years ago.

Another mystery car, but we'll find them all, one-by-one.

14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  16. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  17. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'd agree Blu Acapulco is both rare & beautiful on a Countach and this commands a premium, as the market has in fact shown.

A good excuse to post the stunning GLA12942

jb21 likes this.
  18. mt_jt

mt_jt Formula Junior

May 9, 2012
    Australia
    25th Anniversary styling prototype?

19. Someone started it. It could very well be you. I don't recall ever seeing the term s1,2 or 3 used on any other site/book back then. I remember it being used on other cars like the E type though. I do remember the dd being called the down draught (instead of draft) numerous times. Of course there is another variant, the 5000s side draught version. :)

20. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Stunning color in this picture, Joe! Nice to see it in traffic--gives perspective.

21. judealexander

judealexander Karting

Aug 4, 2006
    Thanks for your response, Joe.

FLA12824 had been owned by famed French singer and publisher, Pierre Brignole, who kept the car in Corsica for 20 years. It appears he had a Miura as well, that he sold a few years ago, after selling the Countach through Artcurial in Paris. Wondering if you know anything about Mr. Brignole and his car collection?

Best,
    Jude

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #8022 joe sackey, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    I'm not sure about that.

The difference between draught & draft is in the UK vs USA spelling, I started off using the former but gave up and went with the flow!

I don't take any credit for being the first to define the LP400S cars as S1/S2/S3 as there is no way of knowing I was, regardless, as I mentioned before I can confirm that my coining those variants as such was purely inspired by the Espada S1/S2/S3 definition, it made perfect sense to me and by the mid-90s I thought Countach variants deserved specific reference.

The Countach is half as tall as the black minivan.

I know of him, but not of which specific cars he owned besides this one, do you know which Miura he owned? I ask because there was another Miura in Corsica for a period with Paul Ferrandi (SVJ 5090). A beautiful place to drive a Countach, for sure. I encourage you to continue to try and build the car's history by contacting Pierre Brignole somehow. When I contacted Patrick Mimran I learned so much more about our car, why he chose the color, what trips he did in it and where, how he felt about it, how fast he drove it, and I now have a complete list of all the other cars in his not inconsiderable car collection, many of them Ferraris. Half the fun is in the research, you learn so much and it makes ownership all the more interesting.

23. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    Only documents have gome up and car itself is missing...
    Again: if car exists; send me private message to get source for documents.

24. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    Fwiw 'draft' is the US spelling of an English word 'draught' meaning, a current of cool air in a room or other confined space. The English word 'draft' means a preliminary version of a piece of writing. I wonder how this is spelt in the US. Anyway the conclusion must be that 'downdraft' originated in the US...

Robert W and joe sackey like this.
  25. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey