2019 Aero changes...F1 lost it's mind | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 Aero changes...F1 lost it's mind

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    Fully agreed here. Innovation is crippled.
    This is partially due to regs but also parially due to everything being so hellishly professional. This is all a consequence of significant attention to detail. Things would be different if teams would be run again by 20 to 50 dudes and not 400 PhDs...

Bas likes this.
  2. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    F1 sucks. The leadership needs to stop visually inspecting their own prostates daily.

No, they have vaginas!

Bas likes this.
  3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Nope. That's insulting to women. Not many professional women as clueless as the F1 leadership team.

I wouldn't be surprised if the suck on a binky at their meetings though,... and have their Mum's check beneath their beds at bedtime.

4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Hey now! Between Hamilton, extended domination by one team, micro engines, the sprint car cage, hideous designs, small grids with four car teams (possibly a six car team) and increasingly limited access when attending races, I’ll enjoy races from the past until they figure it out. Stopped watching F1 halfway through 2017 and said goodbye to my choice seats in Canada. Life goes on in other racing series while F1 (and NASCAR) have terminal coursing through their organizations.

Bas and daytona355 like this.
  5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    To me those "T wings" look like "rabbit ear" television antennas! (Or perhaps coat hangers?)

6. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    And don’t forget the ridiculous threat to remove grid girls. That really would be the final straw.

furoni and Bas like this.
  7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Really? - How could that be? :confused:

(From: http://www.fiaformula2.com/Guide-to/The-regulations/ ):

"FIA Formula 2 is a one-make championship consisting of up to 22 identical cars. The chassis are designed by Dallara Automobili, and run under the specification F2 2018 car. The power base is a Mecachrome assembled 3.4L V6 single turbo charged engine."

Ah! - Because it's a one make series where everyone runs the exact same car, meaning that the racing is far more about the drivers skill, rather than the design of the car they drive.

So what you're saying is: The racing in a single make series with identical cars (F2), creates more exciting racing than a multiple make series with cars of varying design (F1)?

Based on that theory, surely you support the FIA's efforts to restrict the technical regulations as much as possible, in order to try to make all of the different manufacturers cars as identical as possible, and make F1 more of a drivers series, and the racing closer and more exciting?

8. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Negative Phill, I don't believe in spec. series in F1 (which it kinda is in some retrospect due to all the regs). F1 should allow for more innovation. On post #25, I stated if the 3 teams (MB,Ferrari,Renault) threaten to leave....then F1 should start on a clean slate and clean up the aero(DRS too), reduce the costs of the PU so others can join, get rid of this reliability crap, bring back unlimited testing, etc, etc. Honda probably could have cut their dismall performance in half had their been unlimited testing (they have gone through between 62 to 65 engines since 2015 when they entered).

Bas likes this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And those are engines used during race weekends....lets not forget all the ones on the Dyno!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Mercedes and Ferrari should leave and form their own series. I bet other manufacturers would follow them if they go to a more simpler drive train format.

F1 is only as strong as the teams that support it. That’s true of any sport.

Spec engine parts and 2 engines per season are going too far.

Tackleberry and DF1 like this.
  11. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What is their "papaya problem"?

12. hairy_scotsman

hairy_scotsman Formula 3

Apr 3, 2013
    Austin, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Those two are the biggest problem. They're the ones trying to block the move to a simpler drivetrain right now.

Bas and 375+ like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Absolutely. Screw both of them I say.

Bas and hairy_scotsman like this.
  14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    I'm so motivated by the current f.1 that i only post grid girls....it's the only good thing left!!!

Bas and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  15. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    You are bluffing. Your grid girls are from motorbike races...

Bas likes this.
  16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    LOLO, true, there are some from f.1, but i think Moto Gp has the best chicks!

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Agreed,even the Moto Gp is way more exciting too :)

18. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I don't have the answer for F1, but the latest IndyCar for this year has been revealed: https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/andretti-2018-indycar-is-what-a-pure-open-wheel-car-should-be-996501/

So a few thoughts:
    1-as noted above, if F2 (a spec series) has better racing or is a better show, and it's based on driver ability, BUT, F1 is about Constructors and NOT being a spec series, maybe we're stuck with F1 often being dominated by one team that just does it better (McLaren, Williams, Renault, Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes all seem to have had their day in the sun)
    2-IF one of the problems with F1 being Constructor based, then the high cost issue will continue, since it seems any effective cost savings would pretty much have to limit design and construction costs
    3-Given those fuzzy thoughts, it seems to me that a brave business plan that might work would be a new race series that somehow avoids the high cost of F1 for both teams and promoters, and if it ended up attracting current F1 teams then all the better, but mostly it would possibly attract those manufacturers and race teams that have costs in mind (shoot, even the Manor team said this week they'd consider F1 again if it wasn't so expensive!) Throw in a TV package that generates some income, cheaper race promoter fees than F1 charges (other than Monaco of course!), tweak any prize money more equitably than F1, and you MIGHT have something. In other words, if you could get enough Gene Haas types (rich enough to take a gamble), at a minimum you could do it as F1-ish spec racing, although now that I wrote that terrible name out, it sounds like what the FIA is trying to do with Formula E!

19. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    On the Scuderia webpage, they briefly mention some changes for this year, and I had noticed before that there are now 3 tethers for each wheel required. Hopefully that makes things even safer, it seems to me that there were a few wheels coming off last year, if I'm remembering correctly.