Testarossa Fog lights | FerrariChat

Testarossa Fog lights

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by martinperry, Jan 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Bit of a long shot i know but...
    My 91 TR is a Middle east spec, so no fog lights.
    However, I need to get fogs up and running for UK MOT (certification)
    The fog light switch wiring is present, and fog lights are present and wired.
    Got a couple of correct switches installed, but there is no power to the wiring (earth is correct, which suggests they are connected to the main loom)
    Fuse 14 is live, and the relay is present. All other electrics work normally.
    Has anyone found where the wiring is disconnected, or worked out how to get power into this circuit?
    Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    +12V power going to fuse 14 (and then on to the fog light switch) is only present (from relay O) when the headlight stalk knob is rotated to "on" -- i.e., the fog light switch only works when the exterior running lights are also "on". Are you testing for +12V power on the S (pink) wire at the fog light switch harness connector in this condition? If you already are, with no joy, the next place to look is at the S (pink) wire terminal in the x white horizontal connector at the bottom of the fuse-relay panel. The x connector has a V (green) wire on one end and an AN (light blue-black) wire at the other end -- the S (pink) wire should be in the position next to the V (green) wire (unless they left it out of the ME version harness).

3. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Thanks - Yes, no power when main lights on - will double check at the X connector

4. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    OK,
    Further investigation reveals 3 wires not present @C8 in passenger footwell
    Pink from X, pink/black from K and grey black from E
    Next step will be to reinstate these. Hopefully nothing else missing!
    Must say, seems a bit "Italian" to delete 3 wires from a loom for a specific market, then still install the roof wiring, but it does make my life a bit easier!!

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    those fog lights are a MUST in UK?

6. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Afraid so
    Anything built post april 1986
    A real pain - im never going to use it in fog!!

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #7 Steve Magnusson, Jan 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    Did you mistype? I'm not familiar with any connector "E" on a TR. The other two are +12V power and ground for running the front (and optional rear) fog lights so can't fault them technically for leaving them out on your version, but agree with you that it seems small savings, if any, as hassling with multiple similar, yet different, parts has costs too, and inconsistent with not doing it downstream..

8. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Yes - sorry - its "a" on the fusebox

9. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Goes to pin 5

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The HN (grey-black) wire in the a connector is related to the rear fog light system control/indication functions so makes sense that you don't have one (and it's not present on the US version schematic either). No need to add the missing intermediate section of that one if you've only got to get the front fog lights working (and don't have rear fog lights).

11. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    It's the rears that I need unfortunately!
    Fronts non essential but if it works the same as my mondial, the rears won't turn on without fronts.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    They don't show the rear fog light wiring on the schematic so can't comment for sure on you point about "rears only work if the fronts are on too", but the 459/86 Fig 7 schematic seems to indicate that they should operate independently -- however, the wiring shown for the rear fog light switch seems a bit wacky so may work as a mondial. The HN wire seems more involved in operating the rear fog lights indicator lamp in the center console than operating the rear fog lights themselves. But certainly no harm in restoring the missing section of HN wire too (and do it if you must to make the rears work ;)). Do you have the rear fog lights indicator lamp in the center console (second position down, item 60 on FIg 7 of the 459/86 schematic -- which they forgot to describe in the item text list)?

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on my 87 the rear fog lights also works independently to the front fog lights. but both only can be switched on when the "normal driving" lights are on also

in my last post I asked if it is the law to have fog lights in the UK and you told yes, but I mean the fog lights ( so front ) , not the rear fog lights.

14. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    My US 87, the front fog lights work with just parking lights on!

15. martinperry

martinperry Karting

Jun 4, 2008
    Sawbridgeworth, UK
    Full Name:
    Martin Perry
    Joe - UK law is Rears only - fronts would be nice though
    Regarding the rear fog warning lamp, I hope its there - thats another legal requirement - will be a PITA if they've not bothered! - Fingers crossed!

16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The US could benefit from a rear fog light

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    same in germany with the rear fog lights, but no law for the front. that is why I asked
    the rear fog warning lamp is in the instruments in the dashboard, but may be no bulb in? I once modified and there have been much more inside than connected and so I put 4 additional warnings in.

18. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Personally I would wire up something to get you past MOT that wasnt super intrusive. Something that you could rip out in an hour or two if you need to sell IE bolt on and not permanent. I rigged up a blinding set of night sun lights on my Range Rover....nothing permanent and i can pull it out at a moments notice.