Ignition ECU waveforms | FerrariChat

Ignition ECU waveforms

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by spaceship, Jan 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Continuing the diagnosis of my 91 Testarossa high RPM misfire/ sudden acceleration misfire along with erratic RPM gauge reading problem. Hooked up an oscilloscope to read the waveforms of the sensors. The white flywheel RPM sensor showed a sine wave. On one of the older discussion of this forum https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/no-ignition-hot-engine.123851/ . Steve posted the picture of RPM sensor waveform which is square. Does anyone know what causes the sine wave instead of square? Will the sine wave affect the function of sensor/ECU? It's a new sensor that I have just replaced a week ago, I think the sensor should be working.

I have measured both ignition trigger signals of bank 1-6 and 7-12, the waveforms are different, is that normal?

Thank you.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the wave form has to be equal and square, so no sine wave

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #3 Steve Magnusson, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    That was more a stylized representation easier to draw ;) At low RPM, I think it might be sort of trapezoidal with round corners and maybe looking more sine wavish at higher RPM - but I've not looked at that (or can't remember doing it ;)) Here are the 4 pages of Diagnosis sheet No. 1? Is the amplitude in spec?

By "ignition trigger signals" do you mean the signals going from the MicroPlex ECU to the coil power modules (i.e., test #11 and #12)?

Attached Files:

4. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Thank you for the information :)
    Maybe I will try to adjust to distance of the sensor to see if I can get a more proper waveform... think that is the only adjustment for the sensor...
    I will check the amplitude according to the diagnosis sheet this weekend.

"By "ignition trigger signals" do you mean the signals going from the MicroPlex ECU to the coil power modules (i.e., test #11 and #12)?"
    Yes

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, the physical spacing is important -- do you have access to the WSM figure showing the dimension needed?

Eek -- not a good sign as they should be similar. You are at a deeper level if you are looking at time-based waveforms (whereas, Diagnosis Sh. No. 1 just uses VAC and VDC multimeter measurements), but that doesn't change that they should be similar. Do you have a copy of the TR wiring diagram book for your version TR available?

6. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Yes, thanks. I have the WSM Section D supplement, 0.5 - 0.7mm. However, I have no idea how to measure it.

Can't agree more, since both signals go into same type of components although on different bank, normally the signals should be the same.
    No, I don't have the wiring diagram.

One the flywheel, there are 3 notches for TDC sensor, how does that suppose to work? Think there is only 1 TDC per bank (assuming the sensor gives different signals to the ECU for distinguishing which bank), what's the third one for?

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I just remove the RPM sensor and then use a (depth) caliper to measure from the sensor mounting surface on the bell hosing down to the top of the ring gear teeth. Then measure the distance on the sensor from the mounting surface to the end -- and subtract. (But I would only mess with this if the functional amplitude measurement was way low -- I futzed around removing some material (~0.1mm?) from the mounting boss on the bell housing which raised the signal amplitude from 1.8V to 2.4V IIRC, but that didn't make any difference for the problem that I was having -- i.e., being a little below the 2V (IIRC) spec didn't seem to be trouble).

You can get a copy of the 459/86 TR wiring diagram here (for the late euro F113B engine):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ox8kxpyzlsid9jn/Wiring%20Diagrams%20TR%20459_86%20from%20Ben.pdf?dl=0

For the ignition system, I thinks it's the same for all version TR (except for the harness grounding to select the internal advance map), but I'll get a copy of the 509/88 US TR wiring diagram up on Dropbox tonight and post that link.

There's only one TDC sensor, and you're giving too much "intelligence" to the MicroPlex ECU ;). Each bank fires three cylinders per crankshaft revolution (hence the pattern of 3 notches), and it's the distributor's job on each bank to send the spark to the correct cylinder. To interleave the two banks, the ECU must be doing some electrical gymnastics for that.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    [QUOTE="Steve Magnusson, post: 145772045, member: 260" To interleave the two banks, the ECU must be doing some electrical gymnastics for that.[/QUOTE]

nice word creation: electrical gymnastics :)

9. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Thank you for the diagram, and the explanation of the electrical gymnastics:)
    Will report back after another round of measurement.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  11. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Thank you, Steve!

12. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Everything checked out and within spec...... :(
    Except the ground is 0.1 higher, but I guess that shouldn't be a big problem, right?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Captured this waveform, looks like there was a missing ignition (green line - primary, blue line - secondary) even if the TDC signal was presented(purple line).

Does it mean a malfunction ECU?

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    strange, there is no primary and no secondary signal even the TDC signal exist.
    every how many RPM or every how many signals it is so? always constant and the same missing signal?
    but when you have a closer look at the TDC signal, it is also strange. on the scope you see 8 signals. the 1st, 5th and the 8th are the lowest, the 7th is a little higher followed by the 4th, 3rd and 2nd. the 6 th I can not see right because of the scale at the screen. normaly those signals have to be all equal.

so I would try now first to check again the connection from this sensor and if ok then use an other TDC sensor only to eliminate this sensor. even I think that this sensor still is ok.

I wonder a little about the adjustment: channel 5 ( blue ) is adjusted to 50.0 mV ( milli Volt ). normaly you use MV ( mega volt ). or does this lower case letter m means MEGA, so kapital letter?

what kind ( manufacturer and type ) of scope you use?

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Are you saying that the resistance from pin 11 to chassis ground (Test #3) measures 0.3 Ohms rather than being less than 0.2 Ohms (when ECU unplugged), or the voltage between pin 11 to chassis ground is 0.1 VDC (ECU plugged in with the engine running)? I'd measure both ways (I had some problems with the grounding of my injection ECUs as there are a bunch of buried "crimps" in the US harness for the ground path so I had to add a wire to provide a good ground more directly to those ECUs).

And the RPM sensor signal looked good too?

I hate it when we get here (multi-K$ decision). This is where an F dealer would just swap the ignition ECUs between two TR to quickly rule it in or out. Any chance you can hook up with another TR/412 Owner? Is this "dropout" in the primary firing only happening on one bank or both? If only one bank, I'd swap the ignition coils with their power modules to see if the problem moves or stays before buying a new ECU.

15. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Yes, 0.3 Ohms

RPM wave was there, in a "slimmer" sine wave, looks a bit like a triangle and an inverted triangle put together.

Unfortunately not knowing any TR/412 owner nearby. The drop out happened at both banks and also output RPM signal (the one to the gauge)

Do you know if there is any shop that could repair the ECU? Looks like not no new unit available.

Thank you.

16. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    this also has to be a clear signal, not a second one put together
    could you please post a photo also?

17. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    These two waves are both RPM sensors, I have two to test, the cyan one is brand new. Engine running at idle.

This is primary ignition (yellow), TDC (purple) and rpm (cyan), running at idle.

Higher RPM around 4000, just before the problem occurs.

RPM a little higher than the previous one, lots of missing primary ignition signals

Hantek 1800, an USB box

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I remember the RPM signal being much more "square-wave" than "triangle-wave" at idle (and that sure looks "noisy" at the higher RPM - are you "aliasing" with the scope sampling rate?). Have you unplugged/inspect/cleaned/reseated the round 4-pin connector under the coolant tank that conveys the TDC and RPM signals to the ignition ECU (or stated differently - if you measure the resistance of the unplugged RPM sensor connector, is it the same as the resistance of the RPM sensor measured at the unplugged 25-pin ignition ECU harness connector when the RPM sensor is plugged in)?

19. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    I'm not sure about aliasing.
    After reading your last message. I have inspected the wires/connectors, all in good shape. The resistant measured at the sensor plug and the at the 25 pin ECU harness connector are the same.

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    where you have connected the scope?
    all at the 25 pin connector? or nearer to the sensors?
    I would try both things to eliminate bad wire connections.
    but as I see it your ECU not work rigth anymore now. you have good ground for this ECU?

21. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    I have tried both direct to sensor and ECU 25 pin connector, similar result.

I have checked the grounding of ECU at 25 pin connector, it also looks good.

22. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good, so you really elimanate connection problems
    then as steve already mentioned: try to borrow an other ECU from an other owner to try - easiest way

23. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    Hope I could find one.
    If anyone in Hong Kong reading this and don't mind a swap test, please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Thank you Steve and Turbo Joe for your advices.

24. spaceship

spaceship Karting

Feb 25, 2016
    Full Name:
    S. Chan
    I have figured out the problem finally, it's the distance of the TDC sensor, even within specification of the workshop manual doesn't mean it will work. After fine tuning it with spacer, the car can rev up, no hesitation, and with a correct RPM gauge display. Thanks again for all your inputs along the way.

25. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    so the TDC sensor has been to near to the flywheel? you put spacers on, so the distance is getting more.
    never heard that if the distance is too short that this could cause trouble. only if the distance is too long
    so you are sure??? may be that during your checking there also have been somewhere bad connection?