Brand new Audemars stops working | FerrariChat

Brand new Audemars stops working

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by stardoc, Feb 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    I recently bought a brand new AP Jules watch similar to this photo from a highly reputable dealer a couple of months ago. It consistently stops working after 10-12 hours of not being worn. We took it to the dealer here locally who could not find any fault with the watch. Is this normal? My Daytona holds it's automatic charge for at least 2 days. I would hate to send it for 3-4 months to AP and have them tell me that it is functioning normally.
    We picked it up for an amazing deal at one of their yearly sales so perhaps it was a watch that sat around for a while in their showroom. Could it be infamous dried oil issue?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You should have in the neighborhood of 48 hours power reserve.
    I don't know what the specific "infamous dried oil issue" is, but if a watch is not regularly and properly serviced, it will not run properly. Dried oil is one possibility, but with modern oils, not likely. When a watch is assembled or serviced, it is run for a period of time to test power reserve. Easy enough for any dealer with a service department to test, and if your reserve is that low, other problems will likely show up on a timegrapher. Speak to someone at the dealer who knows what they're talking about, it doesn't sound like you have yet.

3. stardoc

stardoc Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    The big oven
    Full Name:
    K RA
    That's what I thought. Power reserve is barely half a day, and I don't think the technician did much of an investigation.
    Good points. I'm going to keep a log of hours worn vs reserve time and go back. That said, something is not right with the watch.

4. dfratini

dfratini Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 31, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Fratini
    definitely a problem with the mechanism; your experience is not normal...I had this happen once and the result was that they needed to replace the movement....there was a defect from the factory. personally i would not waste time but would either take it back to the purchase place or send it to AP