Brakes 400I | FerrariChat

Brakes 400I

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by CARUSO, Feb 12, 2018.

1. We apologize, our new Classifieds has been intermittently down as we sent an email today that overloaded the system. We'll get it fixed and then you can link from the header "Buy - Sell" or from the email. Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    For 400I Auto year 1984 DOT3 or DOT4 ?

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    IDK, but it'll be in the manual

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    DOT 3 is original fluid, don't mix brake fluids, you could use DOT 4 if you are completely cleaning/flushing the entire brake system, 4 has a higher boiling point.

Gary

PS: Use the "search" function on top of page, click "more" to enter key words & search only this forum. Lots of good info here.

4. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #4 It's Ross, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    No problem mixing DOT 3 & 4 as they are both glycol based. Boiling point of a mixture would be tough to calculate but would ostensibly be an improvement over 100% DOT3.
    It's DOT 5 silicone fluid that shouldn't be mixed with others. If going to DOT 5 which is not hygroscopic thoroughly flush all the old fluids first. Dot 5 should only go into a dry system which is going to require some dismantling.

5. Nobbi

Nobbi Rookie

Apr 26, 2005
    Center of Germany
    You can use DOT5.1 which is also a glycol based fluid with higher boiling point than DOT3 and DOT4.

I would never use DOT 5 in a glycol fluid based brake system because there i s danger of destroying the rubber parts. Results are clear if this happens.