Chevrolet SS...end of an era | FerrariChat

Chevrolet SS...end of an era

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by jimmyb, Feb 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I have been trying to find an SS to replace my Impala LTZ company car. Finally found a 2017 with 6500 miles on it and grabbed it! What an amazing car....very quick, amazing handling, just a very cool car that left us too early. For those not familiar with the SS, it started life as Holden Commodore (GM Australia). GM shut down Holden in mid 2017, and the SS died with it. They sold the SS from 2014 to 2017, I think only about 3,000 - 4,000 a year in the U.S. so they're a little hard to find but very much worth it, if for no other reason, that big old LS3 6.2L SBC with 415HP, magnetic ride, heads up display, Brembo brakes, etc...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Doesn't seem like much of an era. More like a (small) blip... on a an ole monochrome CRT display... with terrible persistance. I think it was good that they built the car but they could've made more of an effort other than to raid the Camaro's parts bin. Half-hearted efforts are rarely rewarded.

3. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^^^^^
    The "era" I was referring to was not the SS per se, rather the disappearing V8 rear drive sedan (welcome to life in the CUV/SUV world). As far as your assessment of GM's effort on the SS, you should probably go drive one before deciding that it's a "half hearted" effort. I'll assure you, it is a great car. Certainly, NO car magazine reviewer agrees with you....the car just about everyone one compares the SS to is the beloved E39 M5.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    those are cool. super stealth car. I'd like to have one with the six speed manual, but they're hard to find (and most are beat on pretty good).

Atlanta355, ralfabco and k wright like this.
  5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    ^^^^^
    Manuals are not as rare as you think, keep in mind 2014 was automatic ONLY.

2015: 547 manuals out of 3,168 total cars
    2016: 711 manuals out of 2,221 total cars
    2017: 1,310 manuals out of 4,008 total cars

You can probably find a 2017 manual that some guy bought without asking his wife if she was OK with a manual...I bet there are more than a few floating around out there for sale because of this scenario. I actually toyed with trying to find a manual, but then figured lawyer fees would be hefty.

k wright likes this.
  6. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Sorry, I thought I read your title as "Chevrolet SS..... the end of an era". I also must've missed your homage to V8 sedans as it only showed up in your response? And, while this may not be your style, I make it a point to only offer opinions based on my actual experience, and not what I've read or heard elsewhere. Apparently, my opinion disagrees with ALL the reviewers -which I doubt - but so what, get over it. I didn’t even read any reviews because I didn't care to learn more about it nor about the "beloved" E39 M5. High dollar sedans are just not my thing.

My wife and I did drive one of these, with an automatic, while at the local dealship on a whim. We both found that at some speeds the transmission felt a little confused. Some times it would take off in a mad rush and at other times it was one gear too high. I also thought the styling while "attractive" was kind of blah, nothing special other than the SS badge. If I remember correctly, it was close to $50K then - phew. Don't take it personal. You have your opinion, I have mine, and I'm genuinely glad this car works for you. If I rained on your parade I humbly apologize, really.

Boomhauer and of2worlds like this.
  7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    You win.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    interesting, thanks for that info.

a higher percentage of Chevy SS's were ordered with a manual than Ferrari F430s or Lamborghini Gallardos? crazy.

k wright, jimmyb and carguyjohn350 like this.
  9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I know GM says they are different, but it's essentially the same platform as the Pontiac G8, which I always liked. I see one in my neighborhood from time to time. A cheaper way into V8 rear drive than a Gen 2 Caddy CTS-V (at least for now).

10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    If "high dollar sedans" are "not your thing", why would you jump in this thread? Makes NO sense.

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'd try to explain this to you but I'm not certain I can find where your level of comprehension begins. Instead, I'm going to explain the Theory of Relativity to my five year-old because that has a better chance of success.

Enjoy your car.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Too bad this car was made by that garbage company GM. They hosed their bondholders nearly a decade ago and I still will never let that go...a lot of people got screwed. I would never buy one of their products no matter how good people say they are.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I find it interesting that this is the "American Muscle" sub forum and people are slamming this car because it's not like a high end European car or was made by GM. What were they expecting, something about a car made in Europe or Japan?

Atlanta355, carguyjohn350 and jimmyb like this.
  14. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    And worse is that a member shares his car with us and some feel compelled to ridicule.
    I looked at an SS and thought it was badass; a real sleeper!
    Nice car James.

15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Agreed, if I didn't have one kid, and soon two kids in college I would be all over one of these. There really aren't going to be any naturally aspirated rwd cars with a manual left.

jimmyb and JV's89 like this.
  16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Whatever. Can you possibly be more condescending?
    Maybe one day you'll post up one of YOUR cars and get the same treatment you gave me. Bad form all the way around.

17. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
  18. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel

USA Chevrolet SS sales:-

2013 - 418
    2014 - 2479
    2015 - 2896
    2016 - 3013
    2017 - 4055
    2018 January - 23

19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Average 3,220 per model year

20. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    The upside is that there were a lot of manuals made in MY2017, so in a few years, you should be able to find one if you're so inclined

Ak Jim likes this.
  21. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Those are old guys buying the cookie cutter exotics.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have an 05 CTSV that I really like, it has 66,000 miles. I'm wondering when parts availability might become an issue. I think the SS would be a good replacement for the CTSV.