Miura, the original supercar | Page 645 | FerrariChat

Miura, the original supercar

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by joe sackey, Dec 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thanks for confirming the chassis number.

Indeed the VIN plate looks like it's been replaced, the "S" variant designation wasn't used by the factory (?), the production number has been omitted, the VIN plate doesn't have it's typical 'Pelloni' silkscreened hallmark, and the font of the stamps looks a bit different - not as fine as the original ones I've seen. However, engine & chassis numbers can be confirmed elsewhere on the cars of course, so perhaps this is not a big deal.

Below an original plate for comparison

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What’s the price on something like that?

3. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #16104 geno berns, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Tonight at Lambo of Miami at the unvailing of the Urus. One of two Miuras with clear l0uvers?

Attached Files:

5. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
    I think Simon has this one as 3958 in the miura register?

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    No, 3964.

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    PM sent

joe sackey and MiuraP400 like this.
  8. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  9. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
  10. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    NürScud, miura1 and S_AGATA like this.
  11. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Bruno are you trying to tell us 4996 is a Trailer Queen? ;)

Meanwhile, do you happen to know who it is freshly restored by?

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Black Miuras are really amazing looking. Adds to the cars elegance.

joe sackey likes this.
  13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    pretty car, but are the panel gaps on the door really awful, or just the angle/lighting of that picture?

14. bb4635

bb4635 Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    France
    Far from me the idea of affirming such a thing, I don't know this car well enough.
    But I've personally seen Miura #4996 only twice, and these two times, it was on a trailer ! Fun coincidence...

I don't know precisely who has done its recent restoration (including an interior color change from white to black), but the car spent some times @ Tony Auto Maranello.

15. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    You are right, the leading edge of the driver's door where it meets the front hood could be better.

Got it, thanks.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  16. Olivier NAMECHE

Olivier NAMECHE F1 Veteran

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    It is spending also a lot of time in a small Paris workshop... preferring to remain in the shade with its discreet Sheicks customers...

17. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    G. Pepper and EarlyCat like this.
  18. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier

Nice literature, at least there is no doubt for the reader or potential buyer to the fact that this Miura #4680 is unfortunately not matching numbers and not matching color as well...

It sounds strange to invest so much money in a ground up restoration to achieve such an equivocal result !

Also, the price indicated during Retromobile was changing to the face of the inquirer... once at 1.300.000 €... once at 1.250.000 €...

About the quality of the restoration job performed here, I will leave the door open to all the ones who enjoy to criticize factory Polo Storico quality job... but I made my own opinion with #4680...

Very nice job of Giorgio S. who has chased the whole ownership sequence, good argument for next owner !

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

joe sackey likes this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Agreed, if you are going to the expense & time involved in restoring a car, original livery is what I recommend these days with values where they are, so I'd also agree that non-orignal livery plus non-matching numbers will be a tough sell.

Perhaps this is why the price was being reduced.

As regards Polo Storico, it appears they do a nice job, but I havent seen one up-close personally. The only criticism PS deservedly received in the recent past was regarding the partial involvement they had with the Countach with gold trim that was absolutely & indisputably presented in incorrect spec relative to how the car was originally built. That said, bearing in mind that constructive criticism is a good thing to instigate increased quality, I think PS is succeeding and the program is great for all the classic Lamborghinis.

20. P300V8

P300V8 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2010
    London U.K.
    The restoration of 4846 by Polo Storico in original verde met appears to have prompted several recent restorations using this colour. I wonder why...

21. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Yes to confirm again.

I had a set fitted to my S, and for me this was really great. For me I love the eyelashes of the S but the rear tires of the SV. Best of both worlds for me. Just a bolt on. And with the SV wheels fitted the rear has the much wider appearance like the SV, you really need them side by side to tell the difference. Even to a longtime SV owner

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It looks beautiful though . I understand from your previous comments and those of Olivier regarding original livery this is something people look for, but it was Rosso, and it looks far better in this metallic green. That will be important to some buyers too I guess ( if it were Rosso , I would say :nice car" in this colour scheme "wow"). Also what can you do if the engine was changed back in the day, as was common. Just don't restore it ? Not as if they put a Chevy V8 in it . Ferrari with classiche will allow colour change if it is period correct. Surely the differentiator will be price, where your holy grail car sits at another level ? What yourself and Oliver are suggesting is that the Girardo car is priced too high for what it is then. Can you buy a matching numbers perfectly restored P400 S for that price ?

This car does not state it was restored by PS, though from reading comments here, it appears that the people used by Girardo are also used by PS, is that the inference ?

So who do Oliver and yourself recommend for Miura restoration ? I've read through the thread and can only see Bobileff (sp) mentioned . Who are the reference restorers for Miura ?

Sorry for the questions, but you both make comments in a way that obviously comes from experience but in a manner makes it come across as you know something no one else does and you are looking down at others with disdain. ( or exasperation !) . Just trying to understand.

Boomhauer likes this.
  23. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Quick answer :

There are so many Miura around full matching numbers in need of a restoration for sale that I don't understand why a dealer/broker is investing so much money in a Miura to show us that presentation livery...

Why the dealer has just not presented it how it was when he bought it and left the future owner to decide how to restore it ?

All the description literature is like the paper surrounding a sweet...

At that asking price, it doesn't worh changing the color again on a restored base, so it is a pity towards the current market definition : ORIGINAL LIVERY

You follow the market for some years, things have changed, 2018 trend is different from what was happening in 2014.

They are several levels of restoration, I know the contractors that have worked on the car, they just did what was asked to them and paid for...

The same people can make even better job for more money, trust me...

I'm working and/or advising my customers to work with the same people that I know all very well... it is just a matter of budget you want to spend... but I have also another network able to perform Top level restoration...

If you want to restore a car, you can make a poor or medium restoration to get it out as quickly as possible or you can make a real Show Queen that you won't find any critic to make... or so little !

Regarding your value question, I sold 7x Miura in 2017... for many reasons I won't reveal the détails of the cars, but I can mention you that among these cars I sold one that was a Top Top restoration, far away better from #4680... it is also Polo Storico Certified and won recently a prize award in its Class, let's say around 1.5M €.

So, if you want to buy a Miura and to restore it, send me a PM I will be pleased to advise you as I always hold 10x Miura in my portfolio...

montpellier likes this.
  24. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Oliver, that starts to make it clearer. Out of interest when you say that there are even better restorations than 4680, where do you improve ? Looking at the Girardo web site, it has certainly been stripped down to the bare bones, is it in the details (paint finishes of mechanics, damper colours, labels etc) ?
    I get the point on the colours too, if you go to that extent, at least put it back to factory colours even if you cannot do much about the engine situation.
    I still like the metallic green mind....
    Be interesting to see how it sells

25. Olivier NAMECHE

Aug 18, 2007
    CANADA
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    So far you demonstrate nothing that #4680 is a good restored Miura... and if it is out of your interest to know they are several restorations far away better than this one, I'm sad for you.

Now, I'm more interested in your skill to demonstrate us why this car seems so nice or even perfect...

As I don't know your skill I will not offense you... but I'm not the only one to have noticed numerous location in the preparation of the chassis/frame they have just been resprayed without being properly prepared, corrected, adjusted...

I have no intention to ruin this car, but I'm very well documented, I can show you évidences of a lack of preparation of the frame, due to a fixed budget, and not "without spare of cost"...

If you want to continue to developp , I will be pleased you show us why it is a so good restoration ?