2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc | Page 9 | FerrariChat

2018 F1 car reveals / leaks etc

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jan 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #201 Igor Ound, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    unsafe release.....due to the pit crew guys not putting the wheel nut right. Yes, they added a 3rd tether per wheel.

:D

correct. yesterday.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    You didn't hear the sirens on the fire trucks?

4. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    A for effort to get back to simpler, easily identifiable graphics without all the fussy airbrushing, but D for poor design.

5. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    just some recent close calls.. this stuff does not need a freak accident. Oven course the death of de Villota and Bianchi were the freak category but both times involved the drivers head hitting a hard object.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    But no injuries in any of these incidents as the cars each have momentum. These types of accident are not new.

I get your point. And I understand the Halo....you'll note I've said yesterday I don't think it looks quite so offensive.

8. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I like it. Better than that red/black/tribal design variations everyone else does

9. maulaf

maulaf Formula 3

Feb 24, 2011
    Cape Town
    sure, I am not arguing against you. It is just not an outlandish thought that the head might in the line of travel of some other objects. I have no insight into all those concerns towards trapping drivers, etc. Another concern I'd have is a side-ways impact and a car ripping off the halo from an unintended direction. Then while the driver through the low seating position may be shielded from direct impact, the Halo rips through his helmet.

I think we will all survive the halo, visually. I'd be keen to see the engineering parameters behind it and what scenarios they have considered.

Bas likes this.
  10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #210 jgonzalesm6, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    I'm with you on this. They have'nt considered any scenarios other than a tyre being shot out of a cannon.....that's it. No scenarios of an inverted driver or one trapped sideways next to a wall/tyre barrier/armco. Verry UN-Formula 1 like when it comes to drivers safety. :rolleyes:

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

At this point, with the halo obstructing the driver, might as well make these cars closed cockpit and while they're at it, covered wheels if, as it seems, the ultimate and only objective is safety.

13. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    NEP likes this.
  14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    trumpet77 likes this.
  15. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I agree, assuming Sauber still knows how to build a chassis, throw in the latest Ferrari engine, and other than sounding like Haas (Dallara), they should be way up out of LAST place. The battle between engine makers for the top 3 spots is one thing, but still interesting to see how the rest of the engine battle plays out this year, with the Toro Rosso/Honda as the wild card not surprising anyone if they're last.

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

might as well go all the way right??? Not that I would like it. As an Fchatter mentioned before, the numbers will be crucial to tell who is who. Note they added a winglet on the halo.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Yap, the stupidity as begun..how dumb can teh fia be..not only the halo is ugly, they left open the posibility to ad wings on top of it!!!!! i wonder how long before someone gets crazy with those winglets in b oomerang shape and everything is declared ilegal!!!!

Congrats to honda for runing...i knew it was Alonso's fault!!!

Bas likes this.
  18. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Yeah, saw that. Sauber have similar. At first I thought it was like a Gurney tab, but it looks more like a flow conditioner, probably because the stupid halo is so bad aerodynamically.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I wonder if Alfa’s double (triple???) engine air intake is there because of halo upsetting the airstream.

It will be interesting to see if Ferrari has something similar.

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I just noticed something. The camera mounts are higher this year to see over Halo.

21. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Do you know this for a fact?

22. Finlander

Finlander Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2012
    Sunshine State
    They actually did test the car upside down.

Go to 20:10 of the video

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/131095/six-key-myths-about-f1-halo-device-busted

Alonso's accident in the 2016 Australian GP is cited as one where a driver could have been trapped by the halo.

Mekies points out that marshals are trained to right any upside down car but says the FIA still tested the halo in upside-down scenarios.

It conducted a simple test with a dummy chassis, with its own safety expert Andy Mellor strapped in.

When the chassis was tipped upside down, the halo kept the front of the chassis higher off the ground than it would normally be and Mellor had no trouble getting himself out. Drivers have been shown a video of that test.

"It is actually preserving a better space for drivers," says Mekies, "because the car is resting on the front part of the halo, offering more space than they currently have compared to the ground.

"It's basically raising up the car compared to where it would be without it."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Could be. Check the Toro Rosso pic, the halo's right in line with the bottom of the snorkel.

24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    you learn something new on FChat everyday. I stand corrected. :)

TheMayor likes this.
  25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Luckily no one hurt. Halo probably be good in these situations