What Do You Like And Not Like About The 488 Pista Design | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What Do You Like And Not Like About The 488 Pista Design

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It may be optional like the carbon wheels. Usually the show cars have all the options.

I personally prefer the more open look like what was shown on the prototype.

2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    On the contrary, I will make sure with you the next time I respond to a post from you that a poor choice of word will not offend you.

3. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    C'mon guys! Let's stop being so sensitive! It's only a vent.....not a deal breaker.

4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    #54 MANDALAY, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    No , I believe it upsets the body flow which is having those beautiful side openings. The one real thing that stopped me purchasing the 458.
    Frankly they just look like add on's , like a cheap aftermarket part. I guess its been done to get more direction in the air , but I think a revisit just to the splitter in the opening would have been better.
    Thumbs down

Napoli likes this.
  5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I remain in the fence. I like the intakes on the GTB but I get the need to rethink the look for the Pista. I’m just not sure I understand the subtle details of its design.

6. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    Ferrari typically does a great job with their hopped up versions. I love everything about it.......except that the roof doesn't fold down!

Let's see a Pista Aperta!

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's why they make permanent plug kits. Pull wheel, remove kit from trunk, repair, replace, done. Virtually no cost, no tow, no six foot wrench and no Superman level torque. I've even plugged them without taking off the vehicle and not needing to remove for air at the gas station. Always have a quality kit, fresh solvent and the leather plugs ready to go. Small portable compressor makes it issueless. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I like everything of this car. I just prefer the forged rims look over the carbon fiber rims look. This car looks to have solved what I didn't like on the 488 standard: the tail view (very poor indeed) and (at some angle) the door/side big air intakes looked to be too much open, big and deep.

They changed the tail (and looks great) and put that black baffle on the top of the side intakes and a black frame around them: in the renderings they look much better, but I'm waiting to see how they look in pictures taken from above.

Then they added a bit of agressivity to the 488 shape: looks a very good shape improvement, still waiting to be confirmed with detailed pictures of the real car.

ciao

Afonsolaw and of2worlds like this.
  9. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    My main concern is the bulge/incline on the hood. How to visually soften that area? Still many different styles to be seen but I suspect the stripe will not help.

Then maybe mirrors. Very disappointing in the last VS iterations after the CS.

The rest is very nice considering the 488 base. I still prefer the 458 side, never liked how the 488 intake was designed and integrated.

10. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Very planted. So true. Am I the only one that thinks it looks a little Lamborghini? (Im going to get hammered :D) Dont get me wrong. I have a Lamborghini. I like them because they are very sharp and fins everywhere and very aggressive. Where what I love about Ferrari's are they are very elegant with their design.

Also what do people think about the carbon wheels? I think on the red it would not look as nice, even maybe a little cheap. As say yellow, would look maybe better in matt carbon, on yellow with black strips....

I hold my judgement before I see it in flesh. I didnt like the Speciale when that first came out.... 2 years later I love it.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Love almost everything about the car. There really is only one thing that bothers me and that's the standard interior material - Alcantara. I'm not an Alcantara fan. I don't mind using it as an accent fabric in certain areas (like the LaFerrari does), but it just doesn't appeal to me. Of course, leather is an option for everything, which I plan on speccing, but it will add a ton of cost. Anyone agree?

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Totally. Alcantara is so over-rated - ok as an insert/accent here and there (like a bit of CF) but not all over everything. Leather is essentially what makes it look and feel the money.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Agreed. I know some will fall for the "it's lighter" line. Truth is, Ferrari is likely saving a ton by plastering Alcantara everywhere and up-charging for leather as an option (which is always standard). But, It's hardly a deal killer. The Pista is a game changer car. And, for guys like me that can't ever afford a supercar, it really is a supercar in design and performance, if not in numbers. So, I'm all in.

14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Likewise. Definitely ticks all the right boxes with design and performance. For me, cars of this price have to look and feel the money. The weight game only goes so far. The drivers weight can make or break a lot of savings too..

15. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I love everything about this car... they should have just gone from the 458 to this model! I would skip the 488 base model all together.

16. boogie

boogie Karting

Mar 4, 2016
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Keith
    zakeen, "elegant" is why I fell in love with the Italia. The Pista takes the 488 in the same direction as everyone else.

Agree on the alcantara. It's faddish (as is unpainted carbon fiber, to me).

zakeen likes this.
  17. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    This is the most hilarious past. Like seeing a 100kg guy on a 10kg bike and discussing the weight of the water bottle :)

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Even funnier is that it’s true. I mean Ferrari’s weight savings and the sacrifices to basic creature comforts look wasted on some owners when a bit of exercise and restraint around the dining table would achieve a better result.

Shack likes this.
  19. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    A 100kg guy on a bike should be worried about the weight of his water bottle too :D

Shack likes this.
  20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #70 Shadowfax, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Ferrari should fit-out Pista according to the drivers weight. For some, having a glove-box and an inside grab handle could come down to a Big Mac and small fries. :D

Looking at the loss of the drivers side inside door handle I think Ferrari has taken it unnecessarily too far with the weight reduction campaign. Maybe Ferrari needs an undertaking from some owners that there will be no more Big Macs....and then they will return the door handle.