Pista Allocation | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Pista Allocation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by swordsman, Mar 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    that really sucks man. what does it even take these days?

2. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    That crap would never fly in Europe. Go find another dealer that actually cares. Nothing beats me up more when the sales people of any business think they are worth more than their customers. I love to verbally cut those idiots down to size really damn fast.

3. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    I wouldn't venture to say anyone can get one... Just trying to show others the path through all the Ferrari dealer smoke and mirrors and save folks the "must buy a Lusso" BS. Some form of relationship is still required as you'll miss out if a Pista is to be your first or second Fcar.

4. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    These experiences at some dealerships are both ridiculous and understandable at the same time. Obviously don't know what language was used in explaining their position, but for clients with that background I'd hope it would be more like "I know how this sounds given your incredible support of our dealership, but allocations are expected to be so low we cannot commit to an allocation at this time. If things change we will certainly reach out......"

It's understandable that a lot of folks that might want one will not get one because of the way Ferrari allocates these models, clearly location market driven, and dealerships with a lot of great clients are going to hurt some feelings in this process. We want these cars precisely because of their "special" nature, which to some extent is special because of the limited numbers being produced, but we then complain because we can't get one....... They could build 10,000 of these, but then how many of us would still want one?

Jim

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Sorry to hear this my friend. I'm in a similar situation But now's not the time to stop doing business give it 3 or 4
    months let the suckers who take the Lusso's get accommodated. Then walk back in and say you want late
    allocation pista or you'll be contacting the factory for an explanation as to why you're be treated as such. For
    you to quietly go away is exactly what the dealer wants So please don't cave in. Good luck and take care

Jaz :)

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    are all pista allocations being accompanied with a "you have to take a lusso or 488" or is ti just selected buyers?

Shack likes this.
  7. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    I got a Pista from my dealer probably because I paid a pretty penny for an F12 tdf 8 months ago.....

F2003-GA and of2worlds like this.
  8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hats off to your garage, sir!

Your dealer displayed logic and common sense. What would be them not displaying logic? Asking you to buy a GTC4Lusso on top of your F12 TdF. Few things surprise me, some dealers act the way one would expect from a brand like Ferrari, others act like financial mercenaries.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did you buy the tdf in the secondary market?

10. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    If he bought his cars new then that means he wouldn't have bought a car since 2009 (latest model car he had was a scud). Plenty of people from that dealer would have bought cars in the mean time that would cause them to be higher up the list imo.

11. amgm5s8

amgm5s8 Rookie

Jun 1, 2017
    Palm Beach Gardens,
    Ferrari needs to change with the times. There are other manufactures that are producing great cars and many here might buy them in addition to a Ferrari but others won't. They are losing customers. As baby boomers and Gen x (me) who view Ferrari at the top of their game, the millennials are not seeing it this way. A lot of Ferrari guys I talk to at cars and coffee events are getting frustrated with mostly the dealers. Some better than others but when I am forced to use a dealer then they have no care for customer service. I seem to be visiting the Mclaren dealer more and more. Just saying...

12. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    You're looking at it from a US perspective. If you go back to their IPO prospectus, they talk about expanding production and upselling through Atelier and Tailor Made. The increase in production was going into new markets. Mature markets would still have demand exceeding supply and hence competition/waiting lists to get their cars. You're right that there are other good cars on the market but Ferrari appears to gauge very well their brand relative to the others and sell accordingly. Personally I have zero interest in Maclaren or Porsche - are they great cars yes - I simply find sitting in them a bland experience. I don't have the skill set to wring the max performance out of a car - so the wild numbers they're all coming out with doesn't mean a lot to me. I love the design and feel of Ferraris - simple as that.

Mikael-F360, irvinest, rp456 and 17 others like this.
  13. Dadr

Dadr Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    +1. Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KasedyT and JagShergill like this.
  14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

They’re all fine, but Ferrari is Ferrari. They are at the top of the food chain for a reason. Are they perfect? Heck no. But, they are the envy of their competition. Their current product line in frankly remarkable, and it just gets better (hence the Pista). I really can’t see where they are losing ground right now. In fact, it only seems like they continue to make great strides.

15. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Got the confirmation yesterday that I’d need to buy a Lusso to get the Pista. This was from the dealership owner who I know well and out of my 5 Ferrari’s I’ve bought 3 new from him. (458,488 and now 488 Spider). Since I have no need (or garage room) for a Lusso I guess I’ll have to hope for the best that some lusso customer backs out. Honestly I find it odd since I’ve never seen a Lusso in the wild, seams like they must not be selling well. I was told this was a Ferrari Spa thing requirement but based on what I see here sounds like that is not the case.

MikeS and of2worlds like this.
  16. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    My buddy got an allocation for a Pista as well but he has bought every single model that has come out brand new from his dealer since the 458 minus the LaFerrari because he dident qualify. They are making him buy a Luso as well in order to get a Pista.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    If there is anyone here that would like to buy a Lusso, maybe better waiting one year and take one preowned by all those Pista owners... :)

LeoBRK, rocketman and of2worlds like this.
  18. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I anticipate this car will be selling for a couple hundred grand above MSRP in the secondary market.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Honestly, the Lusso is a pretty awesome car.

j09333 and kwanmacher like this.
  20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    It seems this Lusso requirement that dealers are pushing is working. I’ve been following the preownedLusso market and it seems a suspicious amount of listings have been quickly marked as sold in the couple of weeks following the Pista announcement.

Believe me, before the Pista, the Lusso market was not moving.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you can't get early allocation, you might as well skip it and get the replacement that will show up a year later anyway. It's not like the Speciale -> 488. Now it's Turbo -> Turbo. The 488 trounced the Speciale in all performance metrics and whatever's next will do the same to the Pista.

If the option is getting the end of the Turbo 458 facelifts or the true next-gen turbo V8 with brand new design, I think the choice is easy.

22. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I find it interesting some dealers are saying a Lusso purchase is needed per factory. I haven't been given an allocation officially but dealer has been sending me information and has told me Ive been approved by factory to purchase. I do not own a Lusso nor am I going to order one. I do own a Speciale and 488 Spider with an 812 on order. Other than the California, Speciale Aperta, 16M ,355 Fiorano and Challenge Stradale Ive purchased every iteration of the V8 since the 355.

As far as I know one of the main qualifiers are that you have to own a previous gen V8 special series and have owned or currently own a 488 gtb for more than a year to be approved by the factory . There are probably other stipulations if you don't qualify with what I just mentioned of which buying a Lusso must be one of them. Otherwise Im not going to be happy if my dealer comes last minute and says I have to buy a Lusso to get the Pista.

At first I thought it was a California dealer thing because it seemed like a lot of you guys mentioning the Lusso requirement were on the west coast. Competition can be quite fierce for Ferraris in California vs some other places. Not so sure now if other locations are mentioning the lusso.

dustman and of2worlds like this.
  23. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    bought it from the Ferrari dealer. It was obviously previously owned. I originally tried to get an allocation when the F12 tdf first came out but no dice. Dealer called me and told 8 months ago they got one in, in the colour combo I originally wanted

of2worlds likes this.
  24. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dam, they arent being very nice to you!

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Then I would qualify but sadly was misled/lied to.

of2worlds likes this.