Bit of a long shot...rallymeter questions? | FerrariChat

Bit of a long shot...rallymeter questions?

Discussion in '308/328' started by davidgt4, Feb 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    After my toe in the water on a short event a couple of years ago, the GT4's Historic Regularity Rally career starts in earnest in the Spring. All signed up for the HERO Events Summer Trial - 3 days in the glorious Peak District.

Car prep. nearly done but starting to fit some Brantz trip and timing gear. Any thoughts or pics of similar equipment/sensor fitting in either GT4 or GTB? I appreciate it's a minority sport!

We've had fun making it look "road" enough for the rally regulations, as it still bore many of the signs of its circuit racing career. My clever contacts have fabricated a delete rear seat type shelf that fits around the welded in roll cage for starters and we plucked up courage to cut the floor about so we could fit some nice Recaros on runners. Watch this space!

David

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    If it's a full cage, mount the unit on the passenger side A pillar cage section

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Unless you can fab a bracket to place it in front of navi but close enough to easily reach.

4. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Have you considered a Halda Tripmaster or Twinmaster? That was the instrument of choice for all rally crews from the 60's on. Plus the gears can be changed and you can get very accurate distances. There are a few places in the UK that sell used units...

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Granted that's what I used in the 70's but the electronic stuff is so much more accurate and no changing gears, just push button to calibrate. Of course if they lose power you are screwed but I haven't even looked at those since the 80's.

6. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Navigation errors can be a royal pain...

7. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I think there is an "Electronic" version of the Twinmaster available if you must have one! I am an old analogue guy for period cars. If it was for a modern WRC car I would agree with you, but....

8. davidgt4

davidgt4 Karting

May 28, 2003
    Surrey
    Full Name:
    David W.
    Thanks for the responses - decided to go with the Brantz gear as it's what a lot of the crews on the HERO events use and it doesn't look too modern. Got a good deal at the Race Retro show as well. Fitting and fiddling to commence shortly, followed by a "bedding in" period with Mrs gt4 as co-driver...