C7 Z06 overheating lawsuits | FerrariChat

C7 Z06 overheating lawsuits

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TheMayor, Mar 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Now there are 4 class action lawsuits against the C7 Z06

Fourth lawsuit claims overheating issue affects more than 30,000 examples of the Corvette Z06.
    Since the C7 Corvette Z06 hit the street a few years back, owners have been complaining about overheating issues that force the LT4 engine into limp mode after short stints of hard driving. The problem is severe enough that some owners have filed class-action lawsuits against General Motors.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/yet-another-class-action-suit-corvette-z06/?utm_source=jan16&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=content

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    “Instead of building a car that could live up to the hype it created, GM chose to pour its resources into an onslaught of deceptive marketing, touting to would-be buyers that the Corvette Z06 had ‘track-proven structure and technologies. What Z06 owners received from GM – a car that peters out after 15 minutes of track driving – is anything but ready for the track. "

Two factors at play here,
    As long as magazine "track tests" focus on one fast lap as aopposed ot real track performance over say 10-15 lapos we'll have more cars like this. In fact besides a porche GT3/GT4, performante or Lotus what fast cars can run hard on track without wilting, ok maybe some ferraris and Mclaens can be added to the list. Fact if your car weighs 3400-3800lbs somehtings going to wilt fast, usualy tires, this time its supercharger heat, but even the prior C6 z06 vettes will melt their brake lines unless swapped out for braided, thus is the way of Gm.

Which leads us to the second factor. A manufacturers not incorrect assumption that most buyers are boobs. Just look at forums here with an obession with Hp, 0-60 etc, all of which have near nothing to do with sustainability or real track performance. 99% of People buy cars for paper numbers, witness the esacaltion of paper performance Mac 720. So Gm took as is their way, the cheap option as opposed to the thorough properly done option. Instead of building a proper track optimized motor like the previosu gen z06 they loaded in an already developed boat anchor with lots of hp. The punters went wild, wow 650 hp bang for the buck, and did you see the vettes record lightenign lap on BS and track magazine.

The z06 is like a porche turbo neither have any buisness being touted as track capable, theyre heavy and really powerful street cars.

that all being said, hellcats dont go into limp mode.

Robb likes this.
  3. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    ^ wow whoever wrote that wrote a great post!

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #4 boxerman, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Thank you.

Doesen't inspire super confidence for the Me car. It will put out the numbers and vette team sure has the talent to do the job right. Unfortunatly GM does not.

5. Rickenbach

Rickenbach F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2005
    West
    Full Name:
    Rickenhoser
    Former GM fanboy. I have bought hundreds of trucks from them for my business. Latest $72k pos has brake squeal unless I slam on the brakes. After 5 visits to two dealers, GM tells me this is common in all HD trucks. Dash rattles like an old Chevelle. TPMS sensors keep going bad. The prices go up exponentially, as the quality goes down. Unfortunately, I doubt Ford or Dodge will be any better.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Most of the heating issues are related to the automatics too. From what I have read in the other forum when the auto is used in manual mode that people tend to run the revs higher and longer than what would happen in auto mode. Can't remember anyone running in auto mode or in a M7 having an issue. Very interested in how the new ZR1 does.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The new Auto 8 speed was supposed to be as good as a DCT. So you would assume people would use it like a DCT. Overheating may be in this area and the car goes to limp mode.

The Z06 was supposed to be a track day car. So I can see the frustration of buying one and it craps out after a few laps.

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Your right and I am not disputing that. I was just narrowing the issue down to who and what. It is well known that the serious trackers with the M7's are killing it out there. And the few serious trackers with the A8 have figured out either how to manually shift or leave it in auto. Sometimes, proper use yields best results. Just because it can go to redline does not mean that is when you should shift or keep running at. I am willing to bet that the majority of the ones with issues do not understand that you need to learn to use your equipment and not abuse it the first time you drive something new. It was a bit of a learning curve for me after tracking a C5Z for 10yrs and then moving to a ZR1. I did not get in and go balls out for a couple of times until I got to know the car better.

9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Hope this didn't come from an attorney.....ugh with the spelling and grammar.

johnei likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't know about using McLaren 720 as an example, the McLaren's are solid track cars throughout the session. Like all street cars, if you want to put more aggressive pads on and less rotor life, then that is a big track benefit.

11. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm seriously looking at the Camaro ZL1 1LE. It is quite the track machine and, unlike the Z06, will run all day. I honestly never thought I'd consider geting a Camaro over a Corvette but it shows me what I know about the future.

12. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Gm did say from day 1 when complaints rolled in that the aftermarket could offer tunes to remove the problem at the expense of no warranty.

An a tangetial subject its also ridiculous for anyone to expect a car to holdup for the warranty period while being driven on track. Perhaps Gm and otehrs might offer an abreviated warranty for track driven cars,

14. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Certain components (rotors, perhaps) should be instantly excluded. But assuming an auto (where over-revs cannot happen) or a manual with an ECU that records the number and severity of over-revs (a la Porsche) I think performance cars should hold up to track duty (and all of mine have, and I've instructed for more than a decade--so my cars have not only seen me going flat out in the instructor sessions, but also taxiing students around in their respective brackets). Now, is any motor designed to run at or near redline for 15-20-30 minutes? I dunno. But I see idiots running around my town with their exotics in first, and I've ridden with people (again on the street) who want to keep their sports cars above 5K RPMs all the time. I cannot argue that the track makes it easier to be harder on cars, but "ultra performance cars" that are suggested as track rat vehicles should be able to handle it.