812 with standard or sport seats? | FerrariChat

812 with standard or sport seats?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by phanliu, Mar 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Speccing my 812 and just not sure about seats. Dealer suggests standard with full electric option. What are you guys’ thoughts I’m fine either way.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have ordered standard full electric seats with silver stitching with the larger spacing between the stitch i think -"Filo speciale Grigio Chiaro", leather backs to seats and leather headliner Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you get racing seats make sure you get the seat lifters and a large size other wise it may be harder to sell with small seats

phanliu likes this.
  3. ajr550

ajr550 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2014
    UK and Caribbean
    Full Name:
    Andrew Roberts
    I am doing Daytona sports seats.More headroom.

phanliu likes this.
  4. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This boils down to maybe 3 variables:

1. comfort
    2. driver support need
    3. look

How do you prioritize?

For me, I have a race car so #2 isn't really in play. My 812 (coming up for spec) will be used truly as a GT, more for weekend road trips here in California. A few hundred miles at a time will be more the norm, so #1 is really the priority. I've sat in both. The standard seat has simpler egress and is a bit more accommodating to my middle age bod. As for #3 -- sport seats win on looks, but not enough to eclipse comfort. As your post shows the standard seat puts just about any other manufacturer's to shame. The only place they aren't quite up to snuff is in a side by side comparison with the sport seat (but hey, what do looks matter when you're sitting on them?).

There really isn't a bad choice here, enjoy either way.

deltona and phanliu like this.
  5. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have in my past Ferrari’s ordered racing seats and have done so on my 812. Imo they look best and the most comfort. As I am the only one that drives the car, no need for power seats.

phanliu likes this.
  6. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Debated between both. Have the carbon fiber race seats in my 458 and Love them. But was really rough for a 1500mile road trip :)
    Still have 458 and I am the only driver. For my ordered 812, going with powered standard seat as my wife and I are both driving the 812. And it will be the road trip vehicle.

MB224, klinkman and phanliu like this.
  7. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    I debated this issue as well - it's a tough decision as there are good reasons on both sides. I ended up going full electric for a few reasons
    1. I like the memory seat option - once I have my driving position set, it annoys me when others (wife, service guys etc) move it and I have to set it again
    2. The full electric seat option also adds dipping side mirror and electric steering column (and seat heating which I don't care for). Once again the memory setting for the steering column is great, but it also automatically lifts the wheel on exit and entry - I am a little over 6'4" so this is a great feature for me.
    3. They have pneumatic side bolsters (both upper and lower seat) which hug you pretty well for spirited driving when you have them in the maximum setting - albeit not as well as the carbon seats
    4. They are more comfortable

phanliu likes this.
  8. mhh

mhh F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I tried both seats at Geneva last year, jumping back and forth between the two several times to compare. You can't go wrong either way. I went with electric despite liking the race buckets in my Speciale. They were more comfortable and in a GT this won out. I added the Daytona pattern - probably an unnecessary expense.

phanliu likes this.
  9. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Thanks for all the inputs and I made up my mind to go with the standard and full electric option.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

klinkman likes this.
  10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Personally, I don't regard the 812 as a GT and neither does Ferrari. Then again, a GT is a car you use for grand touring and one can use even a race car as such. :D

11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    why?

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Because its a sportsacar.

13. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I’d vote for the sports seats because I find them really comfortable. Plus I’m the only one that drives the car so not worried about position being changed - quick to rectify with sports seats anyway as such limited movement.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Its really a matter of splitting hairs. At least as of the last time I checked, Ferrari has a matrix for their production cars:

Engine..................GT................................... /........................ Extreme Sportscar
    V8......Portofino......(& now GTC4-T).........../.........................488
    V12......................GTC4................................/.........................812

But there are people who would look at the Portofino and say its a sports car. And some might say the 488 is too well rounded to be a hard core sports car so it must be a GT.

I think this is just how Ferrari classifies these cars for their marketing purposes, you should just decide on what fits your life best.

I know the OP already decided, its a great choice! In my case, I prefer the race seats as I have found in the past I don't love how the standard seats fit me and in some cars like the 488, I prefer that the race seats sit a bit lower. I can feel the car more, and I prefer that.