help! instrument cluster not working | FerrariChat

help! instrument cluster not working

Discussion in '360/430' started by raywong, Mar 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I jump started the car because the battery was depleted. All needles are not moving including speedo, tacho temp, pressure. All led gauges and back lights are fine. Is there a fuse I could check?
    Thx in advance

2. little_daz

little_daz Karting

Jul 28, 2012
    UK
    You should NEVER jump start an F430 as it can cause no end of serious electrical issues.
    However assuming no damage has been done, put the car on a battery charger and the issue may go away on its own when the battery is charged. It could be caused by the cluster not getting enough voltage when the car was started.
    Fuses for the cluster are AF9 and AF15 (both are 5amp Yellow) which is in the luggage compartment.

3. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    thanks for the advice! The needles still are not moving after 30 min drive. I will check those fuse, hope it is just blown fuse.

little_daz likes this.
  4. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    This happened to me on the 360 and I attribute it to maintaining the battery from the 12v accessory plug by the ashtray.

Short answer, cycle the battery using the battery disconnect, leave it off for about 5 min.

Long answer...

In my case the battery was lower then usual since I had not driven it in a while and for what ever reason did not have it plugged in.

When I plugged in the Battery Tender via the 12v accessory plug there was a small spark. I didn't think much of it, but when I went to drive the car the next day, the instrument cluster appeared dead, it was odd especially that I didn't notice it for the first few km.

Solution, I stopped in parking lot, popped the boot/frunk turned off power to the car using the battery disconnect, waited 5 minutes, turned the power back on via the battery disconnect. Started the car and all was fine again. I have had Ferrari's long enough that I know to always try a battery power cycle when odd things appear... Good luck!

5. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    just wanted to report back. The instrument cluster worked again after sitting for one night.

cavlino, little_daz and billy.gif like this.
  6. little_daz

little_daz Karting

Jul 28, 2012
    UK
    So happy for you that it's working. Now get yourself a battery tender :)

billy.gif likes this.
  7. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My advice: Dim the instrument cluster if you want longer life out of it. The lighting is driven by a high-frequency oscillator that gets hot as the display gets brighter. Eventually the heat will destroy the transformer and some other components that drives it.

cavlino likes this.