Odometer Roll Backs | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Odometer Roll Backs

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by obbob, Feb 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Car in question is up for sale again with another odometer reading. No question now...car has 100% been rolled back and likely by 4000-5000 miles at least.

The original owner has a social media picture of the car’s dashboard at 1000 miles higher than it is currently listed at...and this was half a year ago. The car has since done many road rallies, track days, and multi-state road trips.

Makes me upset that people do this. Sad thing is that the car is an AMAZING spec, so someone is likely going to get burned. Carfax shows clean.

I’ll probably post the listing later...hopefully save an Fchatter at least.

2. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    You don't mention the location (or if you did I missed it), but if it's in the U.S. it should be reported to the appropriate state agency, AFAIK, every state state has a law that addresses this issue.

Jim

3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal

Post that pic, without any claim, and let the community decide what to make of it. They'll add 2 and 2 together pretty quickly and determine if a fraud is being attempted.

4. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Is it a Speciale?

5. truthfighter

truthfighter Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    truth teller
    #30 truthfighter, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    You are the nicest person in the world.
    Ferrari had such old eletronics , roll back is so easy and so many car not just this on the market is rolled back. LOL
    you just made my day. it takes like how long ? 10 mins ?
    But this one is rolled back ....2000 miles only ? are you kidding me, he must be so kind only roll back 2000 miles .

6. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Nuno is referring to the ability to electronically imprint mileage to a saved position that permanently records mileage at various intervals, the displayed mileage may change, but the permanently recorded miles in a different subset will not. He was likely referring to that, and it does exist, but not necessarily with Ferrari (personally don't know). No need to imply he's naive, he isn't..........

Jim

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  7. truthfighter

truthfighter Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    truth teller

sorry, those units can be reset too. didn't mean to imply anyone, my bad.
    it couldn't be the one shadow auto is selling right ?lol :rolleyes::D
    But isn't this is the reason why ferrari keeps the value ? ;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  8. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I have no idea, what % of Ferrari resales involve roll backs, but I'm going to assume not many. I do know that the Ferrari owner's I associate with would never consider rolling back their mileage, it's not in their DNA. Most of them don't drive their cars very much anyway, so the mileage isn't an issue. I put 12,500 on my 458 in one year. I understood the resale implications of doing that and accept the drop in value, I just don't care, the fun of driving the car was worth the cost. AFAIK, all of my friends feel the same, including those that don't drive much.

I realize that Ferrari ownership, like all exotics, extends even to the criminal element in the real world, so not surprising there would be some of those owners willing to roll back mileage without concern for the next owner. Just because something "can" be done, doesn't justify it being done.

Jim

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    It is not so much that owners are guilty of the practice, it is used car dealers that are primarily responsible for odometer rollbacks.