612 Sudden Acceleration | FerrariChat

612 Sudden Acceleration

Discussion in '612/599' started by BartonWorkman, Mar 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Are 612s known to have sudden acceleration issues?

This happened to me while backing a 612 out of a garage very slowly. Suddenly, the revs went to
    red line and it took off in reverse.

All I could do was hold on tight and stand on the brakes until crashing into a closed gate which
    brought it to a halt.

Damage was minimal, superficial paint but could have been much worse had the gate not been
    closed or someone had been standing behind the car.

A colleague suggests that the clutch fluid had congealed over prolonged storage and/or a
    throwout bearing issue.

Any others have similar issues?

BHW

2. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Holy cow. I have 4 kids. That scares me. Plus a drop off behind my driveway. I would have done one of those Ferris Buelers, Ferrari garage exits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Never heard of anything like that. You won't like this, but most sudden acceleration issues are caused by confusing the gas and brake pedals.

4. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Never ever had this issue

5. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
  6. MRY

MRY Formula Junior

May 14, 2015
    Monterey Peninsula
    Never had this happen to me in mine!

Couldn’t you just switch it off before you hit the gate? Or maybe put it in neutral with the paddles?

Glad nobody was hurt!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    How revving to red line could be clutch mechanism related?

Good that no one was hurt!

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Unfortunately, sounds like a case of hitting the brake and gas pedals simultaneously. Not something you wanted to hear, I am sure. On the 575, Ferrari actually spaced the brake pedal wider (further from the gas pedal) part way through production because owners were complaining about getting both pedals unintentionally. Hitting both paddles to get neutral would have been one cure, but the harder you stomped on the brake pedal, likely the harder you were stomping on the accelerator. If you were twisted to look behind you, easy to get both pedals.

9. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have had cars start and the foot is slightly on the throttle while pushing the brake. This causes really high rev starts. I have never had one go to open throttle without influence. What happened after you restarted the car?
    Electronic throttles have a lot of fail safe. Not to say it could not happen, I have just never heard of ANY Ferrari do that.
    i is however very concerning. Keep us posted on what you discover, even if it turns out to be two petals and one foot. That is something that can happen to anyone and we all need to be very careful with that.

10. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Thats exactly what I was thinking

11. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    In just about all cases of unintended acceleration, regardless of make of vehicle, it is either something like the floor mat jammed the accelerator, or it was driver error.

I've put 28,000 miles on my 612 with no such problem.

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    No, unfortunately, I was standing on the brake all the way down the drive as the skid marks on the asphalt
    indicated.

Our tech guy's, 15 years with Ferrari dealer service, theory was that since the car had been sitting for a
    prolonged period of time that the clutch fluid had congealed and then when it warmed up, pegged
    the engine to redline.

If it's not a common event, that's one thing. A one time event perhaps but then tow truck driver, paint
    and body guy (and his assistant) all subsequently reported there was something wrong with the
    clutch.

BHW

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    On restarting the car, to get it out of the gate, it started to lurch forward very quickly again. I was
    of course ready for it and clicked it into neutral with the paddle shifters.

After that it was pushed into position.

BHW

14. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams

So it did not have high RPM when you started it, but lurched forward when you put it in gear? Did it idle normal after neutral was selected?
    Very interesting stuff. I love a mystery.

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    On backing the car out of the garage, out from under a lift, I blipped the throttle to get it rolling
    and then let gravity do the rest as I was being very careful and was literally idling and rolling
    back.

As the car was rolling, about 75% out of the garage, suddenly the revs went to red line and I
    was merely a passenger. The car took off and all I could do was hold on and stand on the brakes.
    The skid marks on the drive went all the way from the garage door to the gate which retained the
    car and it came to rest.

Had the gate not been closed, it would have ended up in the artist's studio across the street
    (or worse been t-boned by a passing car or truck on the street).

I have a fondness for 612s but will never drive one again because they can't be trusted.

My Ferrari service colleague thinks that it's a clutch issue related to the throw out bearing and congealed clutch fluid.

BHW

16. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    The F1 is basically a robotic manual transmission - no torque convertor.

How a clutch engagement problem would lead to revving to the red line, on a car that is basically stopped? What lead to that instant injection of fuel and ignition?

Assuming there wasn't human error, for the engine to rev to the red line...shouldn't this issue be throttle related? Software glitch, pedal potentiometer, throttle bodies?

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    That's why I'm asking!

BHW

Makuono likes this.
  18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Again, I'm sorry to say it, but in virtually all unintended acceleration incidents, the story is the same as what you describe, especially including "I was standing on the brakes!" They were pushing on the gas.

There may be some sort of clutch issue which caused it to lurch forward, but the only way the engine goes to redline is if you reacted by mistakenly stepping on the gas. Or, in the 612, the gas and the brake, which is a bit too easy to do.

Makuono likes this.
  19. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    We've all done it... thought we were on the brake but hit the gas instead. The mind then panics and can't resolve the true issue at hand and the fact that it is our confusion and mistake. Since we usually catch the issue before something of this magnitude (like hitting a gate) occurs, it takes about 10 seconds to slowly rationalize and admit to ourselves the fact that it was our mistake the whole time. When something bigger like this happens, we have much bigger impediments (pride and humiliation) to contend with and "dig in our heels" (no pun intended).

I should write a book on psychology. This is a true insight! Anyone know a good publisher?! ;-)

20. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    What makes the OP scenario even less likely to be a vehicle glich is that the 612 is essentially run as two merged 6 cylinders, each with 100% independent controls and ecu's and throttle plates. They share very limited information with each other (over two wires on a private CAN network) and this information does not impact throttle levels. I would also need to refer to the schematics to see if the electronic throttle is even using the same contacts to signal to each ECU the desired throttle level. They may be using separate contacts. Or just redundant.

As a former fuel systems engineer at Ford I can tell you that the likelihood of this NOT being driver error is basically zero. Even closer to zero due to the split banks, ECUs and controls. If six cylinders tried to go WOT (wide open throttle) and the other six were basically at idle, the car would run like a turd and never accomplish a fast rev or get to redline.

I hate to be the one to kick this dead horse but it's driver's error. Stinks but 99.9999999999999999% likely.

21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    You guys are right, I painted the massive skid marks all the way down the drive to the gate.

BHW

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No, the skid marks resulted from either the car burning out or you holding both the brake and the gas, in which case the skid marks would be from the front tires.

You might take a look at the front tires and see how they look.

23. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    OK, it's a defect in your 612. I'll take it off your hands for a very deep discount, after all the car is a death trap.

24. trygve11

trygve11 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 20, 2008
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Jason Hagen
    I think it is an awful event that you went through and no one here is trying to make a joke of it. We are simply responding in a rational fashion. Having been party to the accident (and likely 100% responsible for the embarrassment), you are not able to be objective about it.

Does anyone remember the Audi unintended acceleration cases of the late 80's?! Huge headlines, all over the news, all driver fault (pedal closeness had a role of course). These older 80's Bosch Jetronic mechanical fuel injection systems. The controls were primitive compared to now. Though the claims of unintended acceleration were disproven (even then), it is basically impossible to havfe it occur now, with all the sophistication of the systems and redundancies of ensuring that intentions and outcomes are in alignment.

25. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Never been in a panic situation like that so I'm hindsight 20-20, but evertime I hear someone drove off a cliff or the throttle was stuck I just go back to - was Neutral broke too?
    Neutral, Neutral, Neutral.
    Say it with me folks, it may save you life someday.