Mondial Pic of the Day Thread | Page 68 | FerrariChat

Mondial Pic of the Day Thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Razzouk

Razzouk Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Jerusalem
    Full Name:
    Wassim Razzouk
    Beautiful car. Wow. Respect. May I ask how did you lower it?

2. PBonneau

PBonneau Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Carobu Engineering had the original dampers rebuilt, and added an adjustable spring perch to the dampers. This allows the car to be lowered to whatever level the owner desires. Using a spanner wrench I can raise or lower the car as I wish.

moysiuan likes this.
  3. read33

read33 Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Long Island
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Three Mondials and a fourth behind the photographer... all in very goods hands at Universal in Glen Cove, NY - That's a lot of Mondials!

WilyB and AUDIO RESEARCH like this.
  4. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Wade, MalcQV, paulchua and 4 others like this.
  5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I think that’s my new car on the lift.

6. read33

read33 Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Long Island
    New car? Congrats.... nothing like a Mondial coup- so cool/unique. Best of luck with it- Enjoy! Mine (a 1990 Cab t) is out of the frame. Surreal to see four Mondials in one place. Hope the see you out and about on Long Island.

paulchua and JLF like this.
  7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks it’s being shipped to Dallas but just had a major service at that shop with the mechanic in the photo.

8. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    WilyB likes this.
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yup

WilyB likes this.
  10. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
  11. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    alexion likes this.
  12. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    JLF, paulchua and AJS328 like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Looking good Allen! Hope to see you at this year's Challenge at Laguna Seca? (I voted for your car btw last year)
    ;)

14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua

Attached Files:

Wade, JLF, stekkefun4 and 3 others like this.
  15. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Thanks. I'm sure I'll be driving out to the track one of those days. Will look for you.

paulchua likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Just got back from SVF, my track inspection is next Wednesday.

See you there!

17. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    So now the rest of the Mondial t coup owners here wish me to stuffer. All these pictures of these beaut..... er horribly ugly AND very unreliable cars.

Avoid these cars, especially t coupes, like they are the plague. Wily, Jerry, Allen if you ever decide to rid yourselves of your nightmares I may consider taking them off your hands. How about a 100grand for all 3 ($33,333.33 for each)- more than they are worth I know, but I’m a sucker for t coupes!! Especially non-red t coupes!!
    wink, wink

WilyB and paulchua like this.
  18. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I would have a difficult time departing with my tCoupe after 19 years of ownership. The driver seat is my comfort zone.

paulchua likes this.
  19. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009

That’s nice! Is your car lowered at all?

paulchua likes this.
  20. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I personally have not lowered it. I get asked on occasion if I have. Probably the aging suspension has sagged a bit and gives it a lower stance.

paulchua likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #1696 paulchua, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    Funny, I've gotten comments with the assumption I've lowered mine all the time ala "how much have you lowered it?"

Can't blame folks, only 400 Ts in the whole United States...don't see them everyday that's for sure! (Let alone unicorn Coupes). People also ask, how's ownership been? For some motorheads 'not in the know' sometimes there is a slight undertone as if it was going to blow up spontaneously since 'that' article their friend's uncle read purported it is the most unreliable car in the world.

There is a slight surprise by layman when I say best car ive ever owned and the last 4+ years have been heavenly. Glad I bought this instead of a more expensive Toyota FR-S that was offered me for the back then.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

alexion and Allen S. like this.
  22. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Paul, nice photo! Folks at SVF had seen both a black Cab and Coupe in their lot this week. When I pulled up on Tuesday the Internet Sales Manager went crazy seeing my 89 Coupe.
    Mondial are naturally low slung I believe compared to other F-cars. On Monday when my mechanic was racking mine up he even mentioned it sat low. I like the stance.

paulchua likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The tech on the shakedown drive told me he enjoyed the Mondial's drive much more than many of the other Ferrar he just drove that day. I told him "dude, no need to suck up, it's cool" - He was like no seriously - the Mondial felt much more alive and responsive. Again, I said -- it's cool, I like the car, that all that matters to me -- His response was yes, other Ferrari I drive every day are faster - but the Mondial 'feels' faster and is 'alive'. Driving the late models all day - he said he got a bit jaded, and it was a welcome change for him to have the 'seat of your pants sensation' that he said was missing. I relented and thanked him. Having an NSX myself before the Mondial, I understood what he was saying and thanked him.

gsfent and Allen S. like this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    By the way, I'm dead serious when I say - it was cheaper to own this car than a brand new Toyota. (Scion 86/FRS.)

The FR-S/86 costs 32K out the door (Tax, License, Registration) here in California.

I acquired my Mondial at the peak dip for only $27K. I've put in 20K in restoration, parts, and a recent major. So a gross cost of 47K.

I don't think anybody would argue today if I were to sell today - I could get 35K - so my net cost would be 12K over four years.

Also, it costs MUCH lower to insure my Mondial ($600 a year for 1.5 MM coverage), and registration is also much cheaper ($127.) I don't even factor that in, then a brand new Toyota sports car.

If I were to sell my "Toyota" today - the KBB price of a four-year-old FR-S is 14K. I will argue, tries, oil changes, etc. for the Toyota would be $500 a year - so the $2K cost of ownership over four years.

So my net cost for the Toyota was 20K over four years, or put another way - 8K more expensive than the Ferrari.

:)

Funny, I don't think Toyota would have invited me to 8 VIP Ferrari parties with free food, entertainment, a free Factory tour, Ferrari Challenge events, and a bunch of other freebies the dealership has given me (like books, hats, shirts, and toys)

So yeah, was my 'frugal' Ferrari experiment worth it?

You better believe it son.

gsfent, alexion and Allen S. like this.
  25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Wow, I can look at the photo all day long. Wish I was there!