Return to 458 or go for the new 488? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Return to 458 or go for the new 488?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Speedy2081, Mar 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Not sure if the GT3 to Porsche Turbo is a fair comparison. One is more designed for track vs everyday car with extreme performance, and drive train is quite different (AWD vs RWD) offering completely different driving dynamic. Both are freaking sexy, I am dying to have a manual 911.2 GT3 and at the sametime love the TTS as well.

A better NA to Turbo comparison would be a E63/E64 M6 vs F12/13 M6 or 911.1 vs 911.2. Same model just old vs new. 458 has better sound, high redline, much better bang for the buck. I literately considered really hard about picking one up as daily next to 488. I wasted bullets on NSX and 570S past year, so saving the bullet for now as Pista is not out of question and 488 replacement, GT3, Speciale, Aventador S. It sure is great time to be a car guy. Pretty much everything is fast and good.

Motorwerks, shawdut, xfrgtr and 2 others like this.
  2. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    That comparison is not even close! GT3 to TTS is like Speciale to Lusso T, and even then....

3. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    A better comparison is .1 Carrera v .2 Carrera.

Shadowfax likes this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    What jiggles? How does that compare to the Cali T? Just curious because 15 458 Spiders are less expensive than a new Portofino would be.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gents, I think we are beating a dead horse. It all comes down to dollars and cents. Around ~ 200k vs. ~ 340k.

Both cars are fantastic. Either choice is a winner.
    Sound , no sound , track , looks , speed , redline . Who cares ... it’s a Ferrari and that is what matters . Best , Kirk.

stavura, Speedy2081, Viperjoe and 5 others like this.
  6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’ve never been in a Cali so cant say. Would imagine Cali is worse rigidity but so much more of a GT car by design so its possible you don’t notice as much as a tightly strung 458.

I was interested in the Porto until picking up the 458 Spider.

7. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    Meh, perhaps. But to me, a 488 LOOKS better, drives better, has 50% more downforce, much better suspension, better everything really. Sure sound is subjective and I too love the sound of the 458. But to say "because the 458 sounds better, it's a better car" is a stretch. Most attributes of a proper performance car has the 488 as the clear winner. Offer all the 458 proponents a Pista allocation and they'll all nearly jump on one.

Very much like N/A GT3 proponents blast the likelihood of a Forced-induction 992 GT3; but in the same sentence, would jump at the opportunity for a GT2RS allocation...suddenly the turbo car is great again...

Shadowfax and Napoli like this.
  8. Motorwerks

Motorwerks Formula Junior

May 8, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills
    Full Name:
    Satish Tummala
    ...."little" faster?

The 488 is a "lotta" faster...

Shadowfax and Napoli like this.
  9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I passed getting the GT2 at a premium . Sounds terrible. Speed only goes so far.
    Huracan Performante incoming...guess I’ll settle for 2nd quickest around Ring, but most visceral!

10. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Simple. 488. You've had a 458.

11. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I had both a 512tr and a Scud...fell in love with the look, lines, and technology of the Speciale and sold both...now I just enjoy the Speciale as it is amazing. Once you drive it Speedy, you are in trouble my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    lol whatever makes you feel better

13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    So well put! :cool:

Afonsolaw, iloveferrari and Shadowfax like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Tough call to make without actually driving the Gt2. Sound only goes so far.:)

Motorwerks likes this.
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Not for me. Sound is much of my deciding factor, along with looks and performance.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    On all accounts to date Performante is an amazing drive. Huracans odd looking rear end, poor visibility, and seating position for those over 6' are the only detractors for me. I've never heard the Gt2 in the flesh so can't comment there but concede in comparison to a Lambo or Ferrari it would come away second best. I'm sure GT2 makes up for it in other ways though.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Speedy2081 likes this.
  18. Speedy2081

Speedy2081 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2009
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Joe C
    Shadowfax likes this.
  19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    WOW does that sound incredible!

xfrgtr and Dave rocks like this.
  20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    In what way? Sounds loud, revs high, NA engine, fast etc. I thought if anything it may fail your visual criteria perhaps?

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I do find the visuals to be a tad boring honestly.

The sound is lacking in drama. Both in depth and pitch. Just not what that engine does. The 918 is a it weak also but not much can compare to the na 10 and 12’s from ferrari and Lambo.

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I get that.... lacks presence in company of Ferrari and Lambo... esp Ferrari! Sound is good though and still an amazing car to drive!

24. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    Marginal speed difference between the two. I would get the 458 spider and call it a day. (In fact, just did that today!)

Speedy2081 likes this.
  25. Scott Lively

Scott Lively Rookie

Apr 17, 2018
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott L
    I have a 458 and I’ve tracked a 488. 488 sound issue is fixed with an exhaust. IMO it purely comes down to money. If the $100+ difference is irrelevant then no question get the 488. If you want a car that you will keep and retain its value, get a speciale. Both 458 and 488 were produced in sufficient quantities to ensure a steady dose of depreciation over the next 5-10 years. This thread should really be, 488 or for $40k less, F12. And the answer to that is F12.

Condor Man likes this.