Second Car | FerrariChat

Second Car

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Avia11, Apr 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hi guys

I currently have an S550 4MATIC as my larger car. I am thinking about trading it in. What do most of you use as your secondary car. Does anyone have any experience with the new E class, the porsche panamera, or the Maserati Quattroporte?

Thanks

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Pickup truck! Polar opposite to the Cali. I use ours to explore new back roads to see if they're Ferrari-worthy.
    No stress, park it anywhere.

Failing that, Porsche 911. Mine is different enough driving experience from the Cali, I love driving them back to back.

If you need, real 4 person seating, get an SUV or pickup truck IMO.

T

3. teestoronto

teestoronto Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    Have a look at the Genesis G90. I've owned one for a year and it's an absolute pleasure.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

4. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    We traded our S550 a while ago. Have a crew cab truck and a small SUV. Really regretted it because we just need a good 4 door sedan at times so just took delivery of a new S560.

It will stay in the livery for a long long time. I think it is the best sedan and is fairly under the radar.

If no sedan needed I agree on the truck if four doors needed. Versatile and completely anonymous. (At least here)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. bsawler

bsawler Karting

Dec 3, 2015
    Bay Area
    I have a bit over 35k miles in my 2015 Quattroporte SQ4. Absolutely love it and a few months away from trading it back in for a 2018/2019 Quattroporte GTS. It's not as refined as the Benz will be in some regards, but infinitely more interesting to drive .

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well if you don't mind driving that big car then the QP is great. We have a 2016 GTS and it's fast, luxurious and gets tons of compliments about it's looks. Downside is the crazy shift lever and the infotainment system isn't the newer one that is on the 2017's. However, I think we are going to trade it for a Levante GTS later this year.

7. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I hate my 17’ 550. I have less than 5k miles on it. I drive my truck or my 911, or the wife’s SRX.

My next buy will be the genesis.

8. mobinakhtar

mobinakhtar Karting

Jan 28, 2015
    #8 mobinakhtar, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    My supposed primary ride is a 15 S550 Sports plus One, and the California remains as the weekend fun car. For everyday chores though for some insane reason, I always end up in our 15 ford explorer limited. I can throw crap in it like outboard motors, move furniture and wife gardening stuff without thinking twice. It gets driven the most. Even the wife prefers to take it to her yoga classes in the morning to downtown area over her ML350 because she thinks - explorer is less conspicuous in that area of town.

I originally transitioned from 03 E-class to 04 BMW 745i and then to a 10 S400 Hybrid, then 13 S550 to my current 15 S550. The S550 has become more of a dinner car to go out comfortably with our two daughters - its BIG and sometimes I feel like I am not driving it enough. When I do drive it any other time, I am alone in a BIG car. For me - I have an open mind towards the new E-class but I test drove one few months ago and the 300 base engine did not excite me. Waiting for the E400 to come out but then again, in a couple years the S will be paid off and no real reason to "downgrade".

I feel everyone goes sport, sport, and sport. I personally like a nice ride, a sports car, and a utility vehicle even if its a truck to make a rather wide spectrum collection. My daughters (17/19) drive a jeep unlimited and a land rover LR2 so we have a good mix available anytime you are in a mood for driving.

jumpinjohn likes this.
  9. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'm deciding between a 2018 E43 AMG or a 2018 Range Rover Sport. Anyone have experience with either?

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I owned two RR Sports and now have the next model up, still with the V8. I have loved them all and they are also great off road if you need them for that which I do. My friends and my wife's friends that ride in our RRs have complimented them profusely. I would have bought another RR sport to replace the one that got totaled but at the time there wasn't one available with the right options and color combination. At your age the RR Sport seems a better choice, remember, Mercedes are for old people.

11. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    If you want the E, I would recommend the E400 Wagon instead. However, the Range Rover Sport is a decent SUV, but will never be the full size Range Rover. Mercedes are definitely not for old people. I would say the RRS attracts a younger clientele and is especially popular with teen female YouTubers in SoCal.

12. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    Two things, thankfully the Sport will not be the full size Range Rover as that would mean sub par handeling.

Second, not sure where you live or what you watch on YouTube, but that is definitely not my experience with Range Rober Sports around my area. Can’t imagine giving one to my kids, but maybe that’s what people with more money than sense do!!

Buy the Range Rover Sport. Change the pully to a smaller one and tune the ECU and it turns into a 620 HP beast. It has plenty of space without being over bearing and can handle like a sports car in dynamic mode. It really is a blast to own.

13. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    The best handling SUV is probably the Porsche Cayenne. I'm not talking about my area and in fact those who I am referring to don't have rich parents and spend a disproportionate amount of money on their car. However, I think that the RRS is a decent first car, not too expensive, not too cheap. I don't support modification of cars.

14. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    What world do you live in that a $100k US car is a “decent first car”? SMH

15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm in my early 30s. I drove both of them over the last few days. The car is really so that when my parents/sister/BIL/nephews are in town, they have more to pick from than a cali t hs and a 488. I really liked both of them. I think they both drive very well. I like the RR as well but was less impressed with the sales rep who didn't know anything about the RRs that he is selling. They are priced at about the same point, so it comes down to RR reliability and which car has more usable features. Let me know if you have any other thoughts.

16. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    It starts at $66,750. I live in the real world where teenagers drive cars costing six figures. I know of an 18 year old that dailies a S63 and has a 488 Spider. Another teen drove a 430 Scud to school.

17. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Don't let a bad sales rep from buying a better car. RR reliability is pretty good nowadays.

wrs likes this.
  18. Jmci00

Jmci00 Rookie

Apr 2, 2016
    Try finding one for $66,750. Not worth buying though without the V8, and those hit $100k pretty easily.

As for kids driving $100k+ cars, its a shame. Teaches them nothing about hard work and appreciating the value of nice things. I wouldn't say that is the real world, maybe your world, but certainly not one that you should be proud of in my opinion.

19. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    Some people are content with the V6. It is the real world, but not my world. I am not proud of what those people do.

20. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    So... I bought a brand new range rover. day 4 of ownership the car completely shut off while i was driving... engine, electronics, the whole deal. thankfully i was on a side road and not on the freeway. RR is replacing it. The dealership is having trouble finding one that they can exchange it for... so I might just get my money back. Any thoughts on the 2017 Quattroporte? I can get a new 2017 for low-mid 70K. Why does that car depreciate like that? Thanks.

21. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ...my other Baby. I will buy gardening supplies, heavy machine tools, construction materials and they all go in the cargo bed without any fuss or worry. I drive her like a "junior" sports car. Loads of toque, 20" rims ...incredible brakes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc and Avia11 like this.
  22. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Well that sucks.

My wife is looking at Range Rovers, but your post creates a pause for concern.

She has an SRX, which has been great for her, Cadillac has discontinued the model. :-(

23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    i'm thinking f150 raptor...

jumpinjohn likes this.
  24. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    How much do these cost now ?

25. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    i just drove one, sticker at 72k. its nice. i guess the RR velar is an option as well. anyone have any experience with that? people are raving about it.