New Plane Market in 2018 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

New Plane Market in 2018

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by rob lay, Dec 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In a couple ways Swearingen and Bede were cut from the same cloth. Great innovators and designers, not so great businessmen. Al Mooney was a close cousin. Respect to all three.

2. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You need a good lav on a long endurance airplane.

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yup. And it might not need to be so "long" for the requirement to kick in.

There were stories back in the day how Learjet lost sales for the 35 if the boss's wife was on the demo flight.

4. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The Lav in my Pilatus is constantly used..... even on under 2 hour flights.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  6. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    So what's the hourly rate for a C152/172 with an instructor?

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    For most part the solid schools with more recent equipment, good instructors, and Part 141 are $130-175 an hour. I think that is the major barrier now to new pilots.

FAA stats don't show a huge decrease in overall pilots, but there are decreasing private pilots and more ATP. The number of Private Pilots has decreased 37% since 2008. ATP is up 8%. Student pilots is up a bunch (44%), but I think that is all the pilots training for professional route and all the "false starters". There has always been a problem with student pilots that at some stage don't follow through, but I think that is even more likely now with the high costs. Maybe the high prices for the solid schools leads more people to the "instruct on the side" in 50 year old plane route, that I don't know how anyone can finish, unless instructor hard core runs it like a Part 141 school. I would also love to see hours flown by Private Pilots, I bet that's way down!

Ak Jim likes this.
  9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There are also a ton of foreign students training in the US. I'm sure that inflates the student pilot stats quite a bit.

rob lay likes this.
  10. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Late to the party. Are we arguing PC12 vs Mustang 3?

If I was in the market....LR60, then high time Citation X, then a GIV. 60 for a stand up cabin, X for the speed+ coast to coast and GIV for the stand up cabin, dual crappers + galley and 4400NM range.

But then again....I dont pay the bills. I'm prepping my owner with a bill for repaint, ADS-B, FANS1A, and whatever the new display units in the cockpit are including Honeywell software upgrades for WAAS. Thank the lord the new engines, 5000 landing cycle and 150 APU bill was already done ($3.1 Mil). The 40% pay raises just flew buy considering the mid ($1.2 mil) invoice in the pipe for mandated avionics. HUD/EVS/FLIR repair added another heavy 6 figure ding to the MX bill this year.

Seriously, you guys all have nice planes. This isnt a wiener contest, cuz there is always another dude with a bigger one. Might I suggest joining together to form a partnership to get a group discount on Jet 1A, ramp fees and insurance? Fight together, not against each other.

Christian

dmark1 and rob lay like this.
  11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Yeah, eight and half inches barely gets you in the club anymore....

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I thought it was Lear 60 for the climb rate?

13. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Did that years ago. It's called CAA.

What's a Mustang 3?

dmark1 likes this.
  14. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Not in this league, but just spent over $150k for ADS-B Out upgrades. On an aircraft with TCAS. Thanks, FAA!

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think ADS-B is really a great thing. While it may cost some money, it's a huge improvement in safety.

The airplanes which were hit really hard by that requirement were later airplanes with integrated avionics. On something like my Commander, it was very cheap since I already had Garmin transponders and avionics, and even if I hadn't, it wouldn't have been too bad to install them. But on something like, say, a Lear 60 with a Collins integrated package, it becomes really hard and expensive.

16. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    On a somewhat related note - last weekend on Sunday, I went from Lake Havasu, AZ, to St. Cloud, MN. Talk about a PITA. Drove 2 1/2 hours to Las Vegas, turned in rental car, got to airport, flew to Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, got in my car, and drove a little over an hour to St. Cloud, MN. Wish I had a Baron or a Pilatus or a Mustang or a Citation X or just about anything that would fly private. LOL.

MDS

17. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Yeah, I know it should greatly improve the safety. It just sucks to pay $200K for TCAS so you can see everyone else, and then be forced to pay another $150K so they can see you.

18. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Its expensive to be vain. There is no 12 step program after being addicted to flying private. No Betty Ford FBO.....just South West on the fall down to the real world haha. Sorry but this is a rich mans issue. Its better to be safe than save some lunch money.

Sorry if I got some of the planes wrong in my previous post. Im out of the loop in the smaller types as far as what costs how much. My gig is large cabin Gulfstreams. I only fly them and send out the bills. If I had the $$ I would spend it on a boat like an Azimut or Pershing or ? Till then, Ill fly my bird and let the owner pick up the tab.

19. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Umm, we're on a FERRARI forum! And, flying private isn't about vanity for everyone. You should know as well as anyone that they are useful business tools.

Furthermore, what about the guy that has a small charter operation and is just squeeking by as it is? I know a contract pilot that took a big risk and got a loan to buy a Premier 1 to operate on charter. I don't know what the ADS-B upgrade costs on that bird, but if it is $150K, I'll bet that is probably 75% to 100% of his annual profit.

How many midair collisions have there been in the last year? 5 years? 10 years? I don't think it's been a major problem. How many millions (billions) will be spent on these forced regulations? I think if you run a cost benefit analysis you will clearly see ADS-B is the result of avionics manufacturers lobbying efforts and not statistics. And, I take back my prior statement. I don't know that this will greatly improve safety. I do however know the industry will greatly profit from it.

This much is clear.

rob lay likes this.
  20. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I feel badly for your friend, because owning an airplane to operate on charter is not a good way to make money... well, let's say it's a way to make a small fortune-- if you start with a large one!

Low budget charter operators have been their own safety problem for years-- see the accident in Teterboro, last summer. And while I don't have the statistics handy, mid-air collisions do happen, and not infrequently. In fact, there was one just last week where a 150 hit a CitationJet on takeoff.

21. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    TCAS wouldn't have helped in that situation. They were both on the ground.

As for taking out a loan to buy a Premier to charter...... nvm

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    ADS-B absolutely tracks airplanes on the ground. And no, they weren't both on the ground. The Citation was landing and the 150 was taking off.

23. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If the 150 was flying how did it hit the Citation sitting on the ground?. The Citation was at a complete stop at an intersection. Neither was talking to ATC and neither talking on UNICOM either.

24. sigar

sigar F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2005
    NorCal
    Not my friend and I'm not justifying the economics of chartering. I'm just stating that these regulations cost real money and that money is very significant to some operators. I don't know the stats, but lets say there is a mid-air collision every year that could have been prevented by ADS-B. Is that worth a billion or more cost to all operators? I don't think so. If you're concerned about mid-air collisions you can buy a TCAS system. The poor bastard in Montana that flies his 172 around his cattle grazing land and never comes within 50 miles of another aircraft doesn't benefit from ADS-B. But, I'm also someone that thinks that a large portion of our safety regulations (not necessarily aviation related) are unnecessary because the likelihood of an incident without the regulation is statistically irrelevant. You'll never hear me say "If it saves one life it's worth it." How many lives, and how much money? If the cost/benefit analysis doesn't prove out, it's on the individual to protect themselves on their own dime and not burden the rest of society. IMHO.

But, I digress. This is some serious thread drift. I'll try to refrain from opining on ADS-B on this thread moving forward.

25. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I know you are never wrong, so I don't know why I bother, but...

The Citation was not talking on unicom, correct. The 150 was, however. The 150 was taking off, the Citation was landing. So at the beginning of the 150's takeoff roll, the Citation was flying. The 150 was in the air by the time he hit the Citation.