F430 feels twitchy under braking | FerrariChat

F430 feels twitchy under braking

Discussion in '360/430' started by firewire, Apr 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    Hi I recently bought a 2007 F430. Last week while driving at speed of roughly 80 mph I brake and the car feels like it's pulling to the left.

I plan to send it to an independent mechanic for economic reasons and would like to know what are the parts that might need replacing. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I'd look for:

1) Worn brake discs/pads
    2) Worn Tires
    3) Poor Alignment

If there's something wrong with the Alignment, it may mean that there's some bushings, or suspension components that are worn.

Could also be a poor alignment causing worn tires, causing it to track weirdly.

Worn brake discs/pads...are also a possibility. Should be either of these 3 things in my opinion.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    I'll check for worn brake pads. My tyres are fairly new and alignment done after I collected the car.

4. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I doubt its going to be too hard to resolve this.

Uneven braking as described is very likely to be related to both braking and geometry. The F430 (and also 360) has Bosch EDB, electronic brake force distribution so tries to compensate to keep braking stable under heavy sustained emergency braking by adjusting amount of fluid required to brake individual wheels via use of valves however if one of the wheels is over compensating more that the parameters in works within then it won't be able to prevent it.

Typical things are siezed pistons in the brake caliper or uneven wear on the pad surface can even cause it. Siezed pistons in caliper can happen from being stood up and not used, they can rust so they don't move freely. You can try cleaning the caliper and pistons up or if they are pitted (damaged by corrosion) buy replacement Hills Engineering pistons and rubber seals for quite a few Ferrari applications rather than replacing the entire caliper (expensive in comparison to changing a small circular piston).

Also on geometry if the car hit a curb (even low speed) it can be enough to put the geometry out so the wheels are pointing in the wrong direction and try to follow that. A simple geo check and verify if this is the case.

I've even seen cases where tires cause this in the past (again from uneven wear).

whatheheck likes this.
  5. firewire

firewire Rookie

Feb 23, 2008
    Thanks for the input 360trev. Will keep that in mind and hope its just a simple adjustment on the geo.