Modern FCar which are most likely to become Icons in a decade | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Modern FCar which are most likely to become Icons in a decade

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interesting. I'm the opposite. I've walked past 550's without feeling much about them. Nice but not really great. Of course, its hard for them to stand out in a room full of more modern V12s and hyper cars. All Ferraris are icons of sorts in the real world. Don't understand the Porsche thing at all. Daily drivers or the hyper cars that still look too much like the daily drivers.

2. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I just feel that the TDF doesn't have the same meaning as the others, the f12 was borderline too powerful in standard form and a gto version was just over the top imo

As cars get more and more powerful it becomes harder to make a special car without being crazy for the sake of being crazy

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    The 360 Modena was truly the first modern Ferrari. Therefore that car's hot rod version, the Challenge Stradale, would be my pick.

Mikael-F360, Formula1r and Jaguar36 like this.
  4. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    360cs
    16M
    430 manual
    458 aperta
    488 Pista
    Enzo
    LaFerrari
    Tdf
    599gto and sa aperta

If we are not talking supercars I would say the 458 aperta and the Pista and the CS

Formula1r likes this.
  5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    rossocorsa,
    You are right on target. Many kids today don't even care about getting their license. But maybe we won't even Uber, as already today I can telecommute.

By the way, I have a Roomba and don,t miss vacuuming one bit.....

rossocorsa13 likes this.
  6. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #31 F355 Fan 82, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    your list left off whats possibly the most beautiful and one of the rarest production(not special model) Ferrari of the last 30 years.....the 575 maranello. The first road going v12 with an F1 box, a single disc clutch that no longer exists. Only 2056 were made, not sure of any other production models with less made, and less than 600 ever came to the US, god knows how many exist still today with many surely crashed and gone. I happen to own one and I think its incredibly undervalued. I live in south beach and see all kinds of cars daily, I saw 3 bugatti's in the last 2-3 weeks, I saw a koenigsegg the other day, I saw a huayara at dinner 2 nights ago. Every car on earth is seen here, almost weekly, I never seen another maranello. The 550 is another legendary car, its got the stick, but overall the 575 being a better car with the first f1 v12 system, I think that one being made in smaller numbers than the 550, it becomes a legend one day when nobody knows how to drive a stick anymore. Also the 575 was the first production ferrari to do 200+ mph, yes the F40 and F50 did as well but those were limited production cars. I don’t know but to me design wise it doesn’t get any better than this with any modern Ferrari, this is my car yesterday morning while I was running errands. It's got a throwback look to the 250 GTO, the 275 GTB, and yet its got incredible modern performance with 500+ hp and a naturally aspirated v12. Legend imo.

Attached Files:

rossocorsa13, Gullwing and MalibuGuy like this.
  7. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Hmmm ... which car will be an icon in a decade ? The answer is whichever car I don’t own. Guaranteed. :eek:

nmcclure, wrs, MalibuGuy and 2 others like this.
  8. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Spot on. Absolutely spot on.
    And I’ll add the 458 Speciale to my shortlist.
    The 430 Scuderia never quite ‘did it’ for me.

Afonsolaw and Formula1r like this.
  9. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    LOL
    Sad... but true! :D

10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I was in Maranello in 1997 for the 50th Anniversary of Ferrari events. I walked out of my Hotel one morning and two red 550 Maranellos were sitting side-by-side. Here's one of the photos I took:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Shamile likes this.
  11. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    I dont know, the maranello doesn't get much love, one guy above said he walked by and thought nothing of it. You look at all the modern cars the 360,430,458 these cars were made in quantities between 12,000-20,000. The 575 they barely made 2000 of them, like I said less than 600 are here in the states, they're not just not common at all. They're strikingly beautiful and really share alot of lineage with the most legendary ferraris from the 50s,60s,70s. The 599,F12,812 are amazing cars with amazing engines but their bodies are too futuristic, they just don't have that classic Ferrari look like the maranellos. The maranellos to me are the most beautiful ferrari ever made bc they combine old with new not just in looks but in performance. Only time will tell, but its my favorite by far.

energy88 likes this.
  12. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Hmmm have you driven a F430 and a Scud? If so then the “mildly modified” comment would seem off a bit as they truly are different in many ways beyond just options and appearance. I have not personally driven an Italia so I cannot say the same thing for the Speciale but from what I have read it has a similar upward feel and separation including technology upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    No votes for the under-rated 612? C'mon - extremely rare (I see more F430 Scuderia, 458 Speciales, Boxers, etc). You're lucky to see just ONE Scaglietti at any event.

It was the 1st all-aluminum V12 produced and has aged well, IMO. It has the classic soft lines - not the edgy modern look of the latest models. Also, the last of the belt-driven V12 engines that were also used by 456, 550, and 575.

14. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Very surprised the 550 Barchetta didn't even earn a mention on anyone's list. My list would be as follows:
    550 Barchetta
    575 SuperAmerica
    16M
    Speciale Aperta

15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The 550 barchetta is cool but the top sucks, have you ever seen one with the top on? LOL. The superamerica also looks like crap with the top up or down. Also plenty of the ones I've seen for sale have had roof repair bills in excess of $20k, there was one recently on BAT i believe $23k roof repair bill. They're very rare cars for sure, but I dont think the superamerica looks good at all and thats coming from a guy who owns a 575. I'd buy a barchetta for sure but you literally have to keep the top off bc its a clown car with the roof on. If we're talking rarity, the F60 america is a modern car and they only made 10......

16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Exactly.

17. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    A business associate of mine used to have one (black with "cuoio" interior - absolutely beautiful).

Amazing car, and lots of thumbs up when you drove it around town. However, the day you want to sell it, nobody seems interested anymore...

18. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    If you own one - you are a very lucky man indeed!

19. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    I think some may be confusing “worth a lot in the future” with “iconic”.

20. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    575 might have the rarity factor, but I still think the styling of the 550 is a bit more pure and 'iconic.' I have no idea why the designers changed the headlights from 2 bulb to 3 bulb, other than distinction between models.

I also tend to think that 1st gen models of any sort are styled much nicer than their 2nd gen counterparts...I think designers often get gimicky and fussy with 2nd gen designs.

The 575 is still wonderful. Does it have the tire-eating problem of the 550?

21. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The cars look similar enough too where I would prefer all the updates of the 575. It's just better in every way. The interior is much better. The 550 is a cool car, im sure both will rise drastically, the 550 though is not the first or last anything, the 599 had the last v12 stick. The 575 will always be the first non stick V12, it will always be the first 200 mph+ non supercar from ferrari, and it will always have less examples produced than the 550. Just my two cents. Also Im 32, I have no clue how to drive a stick, so plenty of other young guys like me coming up who have no idea how to drive these classic supercars, it just wasn't something we were ever taught........so surely in time as we have less and less people capable of driving sticks, surely the insane values being placed on sticks will normalize, lets not forget it once cost $12,000 extra I believe to spec your 575 with an f1 box vs a stick haha.

Here is my interior, the steering wheel is much nicer in the 575, the digital odometer is also a nicer feature, but overall it just looks way better imo

Attached Files:

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Yes I did drive F430 and Scuderia, and I stand to my comment, the Scuderia has obviously far more aggressive settings (suspension, engine, gearbox, noise insulation and so on) but I can't help thinking they are just that - settings.

23. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    #48 Mikael-F360, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    What the OP said about 360 exterior design was simply not true. It's classic lines are aging extremely well. It's the first modern looking Phrary and what ticks my box is that...

It was made with a stick-shift in reasonable amounts. There is a premium over the F1 gearbox but it's not insane. This is the last "analog" feel car that works really well as a 6MT. Therefore a gated 360 Modena is a true drivers car for those who like to row their own boat. CS is awesome but perhaps they should made a small run of those with a stick also? Imagine the price of those now? Yes, 300k and up.

Not to take anything from those who love convertibles, I would claim that a hard-top is more likely to become an icon in the future than a Spider or Aperta. At least this is the way things are in countries with crap weather most of the year ;)

Clay512TR likes this.
  24. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    There’s no way you’ve driven one!

25. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Add the FXX and FXXK to the icon list. Less than 100 total made combined. Special program created for owners to enjoy them. Looking into the eyes of a Tifosi as they see these cars, proves their place as icons.