I may have cried wolf a bit to soon on the Canadian market, my bad. | FerrariChat

I may have cried wolf a bit to soon on the Canadian market, my bad.

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Night life, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    The city that rhymes with fun in Canada
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    For those of you have not heard my sad story read link below [​IMG]

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/finally-made-decision-to-pull-trigger-only-to-discover-the-woes-in-cross-border-shopping.574624/

WAIT!!!!! story does get better I promise [​IMG]

So after accepting my fate I started to look at 650 spider in the US market as I knew that these were admissible in Canada. I find the car I like in Dallas, it had all the right features and colour, I inquire about extra McLaren insurance, if I purchased will it be honoured anywhere in north America? Answer to that question was NO [​IMG] only in the US.

I would have to purchased extra insurance from a Canadian dealer [​IMG] fine no problem, I will just ship car to Vancouver and get it certified there. NOPE [​IMG] No Canadian dealership will sell you any extra insurance on any car deemed grey market vehicle, meaning any car not from Canadian market.

NOW I WAS PISSED !!! I called the dealership in Vancouver and asked why not, they admitted to me that there is no difference between a Canadian car and and American car, they just are told not to do it.

Well by now I simply had enough, I told the insurance guy my sad story on almost purchasing a 2018 570s only to be denied, he asked "why purchase in the US?" I answered that the selection in Canada dealership were slim to none. He then said "we don't list all our cars in stock perhaps you should talk to a sales representative", jokingly I said "can't hurt" fully expecting it would end badly.

Long story short, 2 hours later I put a deposit on a brand new 570s spider, Curacao Blue, with 2 tone interior cream/black, with Orange callipers [​IMG] exactly like the original one I almost bought in San Fran [​IMG]

Sales team was terrific, they listened and answered all my questions and bent over backwards to meet my budget. I knew they have been having issues with new tax's in BC, customers dropping orders, sales down by quite a bit, I knew I had a bargaining chip.

I found the car I wanted, for almost the exact price I wanted and I could't be happier [​IMG] Well that is if it wasn't for the annoying feeling in my gut about when it comes to maintenance and warranty insurance.

I mentioned to the salesperson about my fear and how much better it would be if there was a dealership in Calgary, where he replied without missing a beat "oh we are building a new Dealership there within the next year"[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Early this morning I was inquiring on importing a 650s spider, by noon I was done with McLaren altogether, by 3pm I place a deposit on a new 570 instead [​IMG] I was wrong, I admit it, you can't make this kind of stuff up.

I will finalize deal and purchase car outright when I pick car up May 23rd. I intend to fly to Vancouver, inspect car, if all is well I am going to drive her home. Our driving season is short and I intended to make the most of it, plus driving through the Rockies visiting Lac Louise and Banff in a convertible McLaren is something everyone should experience once in their lifetime, as Ferris Bueller would say it's Choice [​IMG]

Keep you all posted

Sorry for being so long winded but I am a wee bit excited as you may all tell, plus I know other potential buyers love to read this kind of stuff, I should know I was one of them. [​IMG].

anunakki, of2worlds, Tenney and 5 others like this.
  2. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Congrats!!

3. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Drive it, blow it up and get another....DRIVE ON BABY!!!!!!!!

4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nice, congrats!

5. speedy_sam

speedy_sam F1 Veteran

Jul 13, 2004
    TX
    Full Name:
    Sameer
    Photos please!:)

6. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    I am 7 days away from flying out to Van to purchase car, now it's starting to get exciting.... Yes I will post photos after I return home with it next Fri 25th.

:)

7. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Well I won't be able to sleep tonight at all :D we take off to Vancouver in the morning to go pick her up. Weather is turning in our favour, sunny and hot all the way home through the Rockies :cool:

I will post pics on a new thread when I return, wish me luck and safe travel ;).

Attached Files:

Shark01, ekovalsky, Jo Sta7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not a joke one should make considering the reliability issues....LOL

9. Night life

Night life F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2007
    Full Name:
    Roberto
    Made it home safe and sound, 3 days of 7+ hour per day travel in +35c/95f heat, I will post a new thread tonight but the car is on another level, comfort, fit and finish, overall ergonomics, and the absolute power delivery, McLaren I am impressed!!!

of2worlds, JAM1 and Jo Sta7 like this.