Hybrid V-12's are coming | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Hybrid V-12's are coming

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by F2003-GA, Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    No. A 2017 Rimac Concept One driven electrically on all four wheels will blow away a LaFerrari from 0 to 100, 200 300kph, and it has over 1200hp. That (sadly) is the future, and as much as I love our V12s, they are heading only one way.

F2003-GA and G. Pepper like this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sadly only from a sentimental perspective. The video was telling. Silent, efficient performance. Imagine if the storage and generation of electricity wasn't a weight penalty. It'll happen.

F2003-GA and BarryK like this.
  3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That Rimac came out 4 years after the LF and they almost have the same performance. Also, the Rimac needs a recharge after a few miles. The next LF can have more power and won't need to rest for hours between runs!!!

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interesting times we live in. Right now we have stock vehicles with 16-cylinder quad turbo ICE only engines making something like 1500hp and can drain an entire tank of gasoline in minutes. The US is energy independent and more drilling and mining is expanding every day. If you want to go very fast and all electric then take a train. Now if we can only get that corn alcohol out of the gasoline and supply a greater quantity of E0 we'll be just fine.

5. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    When I drive my Ferrari at high speed on a motorway the only anxiety I feel is about the possibility of being caught by radar and loose my driving licence. If instead of having an ICE my Ferrari was equipped with an electric motor powered by batteries, that anxiety, would transform into a psychosis. With the present battery charging times and the available infrastructure, I just can’t imagine what's the anxiety while driving a car that can experience a sudden loss of up to 50% in range when the speed changes from 55 mph to 115mph . That's what happens nowadays with the most advanced and expensive electric vehicles like the Tesla model S. These drawbacks one day, in the far future, eventually will be solved and by then there will be very fast and silent electric sports cars. Then the new generation of "drivers" certainly look back at their grand father's Ferraris and will laugh at how noisy they were.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4RE F12 likes this.
  6. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Perhaps you are right but hopefully not in my life time. I have nothing against electric cars and may buy one for boring DD. But growing up on ICE sports cars I doubt I will ever really enjoy and electric cars. I like toasters and microwaves too but have no passion for either. But then commuting is becoming far less enjoyable as traffic becomes more of a factor.

7. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I don't really see myself ever buying a hybrid sports car. Call me old fashioned.

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Got a feeling once you see the spec you May have a change of heart :)

9. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #259 Bundy, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Have you watched Formula E? I have. Once for about 5”.

I’ve watched the video of Marc Gene shattering the Road Atlanta lap record in a 2003 Ferrari F1 car dozens of times.

Not hard to understand why. The love for a high-reving race ICE will not die easily. No electric sports cars for me, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

otakki and MDEL like this.
  10. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Great videos and fantastic sound during the gear changes. The high rev Ferrari V12 engine is something I'm already accustomed to and the combination of that orchestral sound and the instantaneous response are totally addictive. You try it once and you can't live anymore without it. Honestly I can't see how a car with an electric motor has any kind of interaction with the driver.

otakki, Makuono and Bundy like this.
  11. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    The Rimac C Two shown at Geneva this year goes even further with sub 2s 0-100kph, and sub 12s 0-300kph, even further on from the LaFerrari era than Concept One.

After a mile and half out of the gates at full tilt, a LaFerrari is back to 795hp ICE only. Unless you brake to regenerate. And leave it unplugged for a few days, and land a 60k euro bill for a new battery.

Either way, the game moves on.

G. Pepper and F2003-GA like this.
  12. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    12 secs 0-300 that’s spaceship fast o_O

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think we're getting to the point where laws will be made to limit how quickly a new car can accelerate on public roads. There is a growing number of idiots destroying their cars due to lack of experience and performance that is too much for the street (both due to more supercars on roads and their performance going up). It shouldn't be too hard like what Nissan did with the GTR at first removing the top speed limiter when GPS recognized it was at a track (in Japanese models).

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    ^ if an onboard GPS controller can flip a bit to disable the speed limiter so can anyone with a programmer. I don't think you can stop that since the tier suppliers of the ECMs don't play ball with each other and there's millions of lines of code running in the average car these days. More like the police and insurance companies will welcome high speeders with gross fees, fines and suspensions. If full electric cars standardize from the get go then there's a chance of locking things down but I don't think Rimac and Tesla are mandated to give out their IP for free.

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Claims have to be proven first.

16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    That's exactly what the skeptics of the horseless carriage said back in the 1890's. History turned out not to be on their side though :)

We may not like the changes coming, but they are coming regardless. Just like the Ferrari SUV ;)

17. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Also the claims of flying cars needed to be proven...

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
  19. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    People keep talking about the transition from horses to cars.
    That analogy is so irrelevant it shouldn't need mentioning.

ICE to electric would be a transition from a horse to a horse that eats different food, doesn't fart, and needs a long rest every hour.

LVP488, jumpinjohn, G. Pepper and 3 others like this.
  21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Good analogy. And since 70% of the grid is still powered by natural gas and coal, it arguably doesn’t even eat different food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    #273 Makuono, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    MDEL likes this.
  23. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    A world wide $100 billion loss in fuel taxes makes for a great headline but remember that the tax revenues of the G7 countries today is in excess of $11 trillion, and they only represent 1/3 of global economy. So really, we are talking about 0.3% of global taxes.

In any event, governments can and probably will simply change fuel tax to a vehicle tax. As they say, no escaping death and taxes.

So, i doubt the fuel tax is going to save our V12 toys.

F2003-GA and Makuono like this.
  24. 4RE F12

4RE F12 Karting

Apr 19, 2016
    B.C., Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew W.
    I think this is perhaps the single biggest justification for the Hybrid - regenerative battery concept of LaF.....but as you say 'one day in the far future' electric cars may well rule BUT i think it would be a travesty to 'run silent'....not only do i enjoy listening to the sound of my NA V12 engine but I can't be the only one who relys on the 'whine' of the engine to give me a sense of speed and when to shift. For no other reason than the pure enjoyment of the sound, i think Tesla should get with the program and offer an optional "exhaust sound" for their vehicles - a simple digital file can be reprogrammed into the cars ECU much the same way as BMW, Aston Martin and Jaguar currently do - as these exhaust sounds are all digitally enhanced....