Why I am selling my 458 and moving into an Aventador | FerrariChat

Why I am selling my 458 and moving into an Aventador

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Raul1976, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Raul1976

Raul1976 Karting

Aug 2, 2013
    Hi,

I am selling my 458 and therefore selling goodies separately like my Speciale Alloys, titanium wheel nuts and IPE Exhaust separately.

The 458 is a great car and in my opinion a classic of the future but after driving an Aventador I have to say I do like a V12 and I want to say I drove a V12 before we all go electric. I do like the clunkiness and rawness of the car and the fact it is awkward. I think modern cars are too good now in many ways and the Lamborghini is great because it is not perfect. Sounds weird but it's how I feel.

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Looks and loud, awkward and imperfect. Yep, Aventador.

I enjoy the SV Aventador but it is such an imperfect car when compared to the TdF. The F12 and 812 and Lussos do driving much better. The TdF does everything in the world better.

To come on Ferrari Chat and say you like a Lambo more than a 458 is just looking for a black eye. Please duck and then punch the throttle and smile as you peel out!

3. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    How much does it cost to change the clutch?
    $50k?

4. clandestine

clandestine Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Wrong-o. Try $130,000.

5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    from experience I much preferred the murci sv to the aventador

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I see this coming so lookout !

7. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Good for you.The Aventador is a unique, stunning and adrenaline exuding ride. Buy what excites you and disregard others' opinions.

8. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Aventador : the Worst gearbox I know

9. Bhh

Bhh Rookie

Dec 5, 2014
    Manhattan
    Have you considered an f12? I owned one for a while absolutely loved it.

Regardless of your choice good luck and enjoy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    Yes, funny, but!
    I had lp560, and clutch change (every year, if you drive properly) is about 10 grands.
    And it similar with R8 v10.
    Aventador have its own, + Avent tax.
    And on Avent you need to put down the engine.
    If you have real dealer price, please say it.
    Hear, in Russia, Avent and 488 is similar price, and I will take one in this year, instead of my 458. And clutch change is big question in my choice.

11. Nine9Three

Nine9Three Karting

Oct 24, 2017
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I am sure the SV is an absolute hoot but so completely different to a 458. Have you considered a 599 GTO? All the rawness you are looking for and likely to hold it's value into the future.

fuelie95 and tifoso2728 like this.
  12. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    I'd be curious on your thoughts on it. I did the opposite and went to the Speciale.

I've had 2 Aventadors, a 2013 that I bought in 2014, and a 2014 that I bought last year. Same appeal, they both lasted less than 6 months due to the driving experience. It's not a drivers car IMO, but it does have a wow factor that a 458 doesn't. Love to hear your feedback on going the opposite direction.

Epicracing123 likes this.
  13. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    I had a Diablo and Murcielago while having Ferrari's (360 and 430). I miss the Diablo and even tried to find it and buy it back. While the Murcie engine and acceleration was out of this world at the time, I felt the drive was missing something. I have always liked the Aventadors but feel that I might not considering the long term. The Diablo and my Ferrari's after driving them just plain left something that I wanted to do again and again. You can own both Lamborghini and Ferrari and have great drives. The Aventador styling is just something to be seen and enjoyed over and over. Good luck with your decision and please post pictures!

bonneau13 and Bhh like this.
  14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

Prices ?

15. Hoboken

Hoboken Rookie

May 5, 2018
    A Lamborghini has never much appealed to my sensibilities, whether for rational reasons or not.

But I am enjoying this thread and the opinions expressed.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Serious ?

17. clandestine

clandestine Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Of course not. Smarta$$ remark.

But then again, I didn't realize OP is based in Russia, where prices may very well be much higher than USA. I know you Aussies pay dearly for your cars. How are the parts and maintenance prices in AUS vs. USA?

18. clandestine

clandestine Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Hang on. You go through one clutch per year?

I don't know the price for an Aventador clutch change, Russia or USA. But I'd be surprised if it was over $20K in US...my guess would be closer to 15. Someone on here surely knows the answer.

19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I concur....I won’t let my MurcieSV go - last of the Bizzarrini engine. I’m not too keen on the Av but I do have a deposit on the SVJ...another last of its breed before electric and turbos kill NA.
    I also won’t let go of my 16M.
    Both Lambos and Ferrari’s have their pluses and minuses...they can both live in the same garage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Have owned a Diablo now for 4 years...such a unique driving experience, relatively modern performance but feels like a classic. And where else can you get a mid-engine V12 with scissor doors and a roof that comes off?

21. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Nothing looks and sounds like an Aventador. And the imperfection is its charm. But if you go into neutral on traffic lights, I doubt you will have many problems with the clutch. But I hear from other owners, that many of the cars have problems with the catalyc converters sensor. And also - say what you will about the Aventador - but not many cars, that are not limited editions, keep 80% of their original price after 7 years. Must be a reason for that. :)

fuelie95 likes this.
  22. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    #22 Trax, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    I've got an S Roadster and its a fantastic car
    I really can't follow why people have issues with the gearbox (although this has the latest software)
    Sure if you drive in road mode I find it a little strange - but only ever drive in Corsa
    Overall its a fantastically fun car to drive and a real event - even in the F40 I get less comments from other drivers

Attached Files:

fuelie95 and uhn2000 like this.
  23. Ferrari FXX

Ferrari FXX Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2007
    Hey man you fell in love with the look of the Lambo, thats exactly what Lamborghinis are for. Me personally Ive said Ferrari is losing business to guys who want a mid engine V12 other than the LaFerrari.

I think its a little ridiculous Ferrari can't come up with a car similar to the Testarossa or use a modern lay out of a mid engine V12 that doesn't cost a million bucks. While the F12 and Super Fast are incredible V12s and beautiful, they don't have the exotic look of a 458 or 488. Im loyal to Ferrari and won't buy a Lambo (to over the top styling) I think I understand your frustration.

buddyg and Shamile like this.
  24. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
  25. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Spot on. This is why I even think about acquiring an Aventador. C'mon, Ferrari!