Ferrari 488 GTB - WTF!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 GTB - WTF!!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Condor Man, May 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I suppose we’ve seen the future of the sports car at Le Mans

Turbo Hybrid small ICE mounted mid rear.

I suspect that this is where Ferrari is headed

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Thanks!

In terms of the driving experience, did the 812 surpass the 488 in any respect aside from engine sound?

3. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    No, not on the track. The 812 felt heavier, harder to turn in, slower to accelerate (torque appears much higher in the Rev range) and generally less fun to drive at the limit. I own an F12 and have a 488 Spider arriving soon. I’ll keep both. Other drivers mostly had F12s or 812s as well as 488s. Those without 488s seemed keen to buy them soon.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If you don't mind me asking Zagame Melbourne ?

5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here is the comparison.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/ipzclnojzfic

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

klinkman likes this.
  6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    sent details through conversations/message. Did u receive?

PS Condor re those times looks like superfast comes in up into song top end and is clearly very fast and powerful. 488 able to manage the corners better than superfast.

Condor Man likes this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    However the track comparison is based on only two reported times - one at Fiorano, which is provided by Ferrari and most probably questionable, and one at Vairano.
    The Fiorano time gives a clear advantage to the 812 (but I suspect marketing time adjustment here) while the Vairano time gives a clear advantage to the 488.
    Vairano is a small track, so probably the 488 is better suited for it, but I still believe that the 488 should be faster on most tracks.
    The only advantage of the 812 is the acceleration at very high speeds, where its superior power comes into play; in all other situations I don't see how it might outperform the lighter and rear-mid engined 488.

Gullwing and Napoli like this.
  8. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    I agree with LVP488 - if you can drive the two back to back, you'll soon be questioning the official lap figures.

Condor Man likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Two different cars, one is more GT and straight line power, not quite muscle car but not ideal for twisties vs. mid engine, lighter sports car. 488 is better balanced, lighter an enough power to match or beat the 812 on a track. 812 might have a shot on certain tracks with longer straights and fewer turns though.

Condor Man likes this.
  10. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I totally agree.

11. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Correct. There is no way an 812 would stick with a 488 on a technical track.

Shadowfax likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Given drivers of similar skill. I think slow drivers in fast cars isn't an uncommon thing around the track.

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    True but it doesn't help that much anyway. Can add to the nuisance factor though.

14. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    So just spent 600kms in the 488GTB. First time I drove it. SUPREMELY impressed with the car. I tried not to give it too much but the way it increases speed is amazing. Also feels far more "planted" than the 458 and also feels very solid in terms of build and quality. Some have said its a bit too "civilized" and I do tend to agree somewhat. One can mooch around in this car everyday and it wont annoy you.

Ferrari have also done some work on the User Interface's which are now a bit cleaner and simpler to use. I still find the NAV screen too small and use a TomTom 6" on my windscreen. Overall a great improvement in general. Have another 2500kms to go so will see how we bond

The sound is not an NA sound so one needs to get used to it. Also max revs are like 7300rpm and I bounced off the limiter a few times and thought I was in a 458 :)

Overall a great car and I think the Pista will be insanely good

Caeruleus11, Shadowfax and MANDALAY like this.
  15. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I spent a few days last week driving the 488 and the 812 back to back on the track at COTA. The 812 is an amazing car, but on the track it is like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail. It gets the job done, but you know there is a better tool for the job. In this case it's the 488. On a track like COTA the 488 is simply amazing!

Napoli likes this.
  16. Ed Thorne

Ed Thorne Rookie

May 8, 2017
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Edwin Thorne
    I have come to the 488 from a 599 and an FF and really don’t miss the V 12 at all because the 488 is such a balanced blast to drive. Yes the V 12 is wonderful engine with great sounds and power but the 488 has truly effortless performance and is easy drive slowly or rapidly. I love mine.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

stavura, LVP488, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Coming from a 991 GT3. Capable car, sonorous 9K engine note, comfortable, etc.....

Have driven only about 100 miles in my new 488 GTB, but same initial sentiments as OP - and many others. Enjoy driving the car at any speed, any gear. Can’t get enough of its bassy growl and burbling trailing throttle. Aesthetically, the 488 (so much better in person than photo) is in a league of its own. Sonically and visually and Inside and out, the car just exudes. Pure win.

stavura, Shack, Viperjoe and 3 others like this.
  18. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Your 488 IS an amazing Ferrari Condor Man, as almost any Ferrari is !

Cigarzman likes this.
  19. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I don't believe Ferrari had any intention to compete their top offering mid-front NA car with their high volume mid turbo V8 car. They are in two separate non competing classes and go about their individual Ferrari excellence from the two farthest extremes possible. The folks here who own both do so for that reason. Seems foolish for folks that have one or the other to attempt to persuade their counterparts which is better by some measurable margin. Both are nearing the end of their product lifecycle and will be replaced with new models making older comparisons that much more irrelevant IMO.

20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Now as 1400kms and this car is getting better with each km. One really needs to remember Turbo's dont rev as high as bounced off the limiter a few times as I was listening to the engine sound :). Even the stereo seems better which was not hard as all the others were pure c@ap.

Builds speed very quick and all round an awesome package. Pista willbe that much rawer and have its place in history IMO