RIP 720s | Page 2 | FerrariChat

RIP 720s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hamad488, May 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A quick search for the 720S mentions 0-200 kph in 7.1s - so 6.94s should not be impossible to reach.
    2.2s to 100 kph would be far more impressive for a road car though.

2. hamad488

hamad488 Karting

Nov 11, 2015
    Abu Dhabi
    Full Name:
    Hamad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. nice

nice Karting

Feb 17, 2016
    Scottsdale/So Cal
    I’m not so sure about that. Looks are largely subjective. There are aspects on the 720, like the doors and the hidden air intakes, that look more exotic then the 488. I’m on my 2nd 720 and have a pista coming. I really love the 720 and hope the pista can match or beat it in performance but I’m not so sure it will. I’ve had a 488 spider and I don’t think that car + 50hp beats the 720. True hp on 720 is 780-800hp.

xfrgtr likes this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    50 hp is actually a lot - and on the Pista it's combined with 90 kg less.
    The 720S has probably more power than announced but since the beginning (even though the situation has improved from generation to generation) it seems McLaren has been struggling to make the most of what they had whereas Ferrari has always been extracting all they could.
    When the MP4/12C was introduced I really expected it to crush the 458: carbon tub, more power, tricky suspension... but that did not happen, and McLaren has kept throwing more technology and more power just to be able to compete (even though the 720S seems to be a more serious contender).

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Should be possible to get sub 7 seconds to 200 kph, but Laferrari barely got there so I’m not sure.

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

The LF was clocked at 6.4'' for the 0-120 mph dash, so the 0-124 (0-200 km/h) should be just under 7'', as Ferrari themselves claim. On those grounds, I also believe that the Pista won't dive under 7''. Then again the LF was on 2013 era P Zero Corsa road tyres and the Pista is on 2018 Cup 2 semi-slicks. The 0-150 mph run should be more representative.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Looking at this, it's all over bar the shouting.

8. 412monzaindy

412monzaindy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Full Name:
    PBI
    The 720 is fugly. If the car falls short, give it more power.
    Every car is becoming too fast for North American roads, unusable and useless.
    Sure bragging rights and numbers.

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Which is why the 488 wins for me, it's far superior on the styling. I haven't gone faster than 170 on any US road and that was just a 1 mile run in my 991tts where I hit 169. COTA is the safest venue around me for high speed driving and there are plenty of opportunities but I know this isn't the case for a lot of other owners. There are plenty of good stretches out in West Texas but the road beds are not good and who knows what dip, pothole or bump might lay ahead at high speeds, not like the autobahn at least surface wise.

The Pista is amazing but for me, it would have to be an Aperta and since I haven't been offered a Pista, I am extremely unlikely to get the Aperta version of it. The cost is probably prohibitive as well.

waterking likes this.
  10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I share your enthusiasm for the Pista. but we should be a little bit careful reading anything into this. I was there, and it was just a parade lap.

The Pista sounds MUCH better in person than what I have heard on any video so far. More Challenge and less GTB.

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    That’s the best news I’ve heard.

hamad488 likes this.
  12. Horst997tt

Horst997tt Karting

Jun 4, 2017
    I have for one year 488 GTB and since May 720 S . Both interesting cars, I come from Germany with long
    Porsche history , last Ferrari was 430 Spider. How good is 720 S compared to 488?
    Very good, but different driving. Besides acceleration times 720 S has a very good suspension. Like a flying
    carpet over but grounded to the road, the 720 S A or B roads, very impressive how easily you can drive 720 S, absolutely
    neutral suspension in bends or bumpy roads. That is very impressive, also for 4 other sportscars guys I let drive my 720S.
    720 S feels very light and precise, sharp stearing, feals closer to street. In 180 degree bends you can feal the lower weight
    compared to 488 of about 130 kg in my case, traction is very good out of this 180 degree bends , better than 488.
    Seating position is deeper to road, car not so roomy inside, feels much smaller like 488, but driving 488 ist compared
    to 720 S more like a little bit of a limousine, a massive car with big visable front wings and huge space in cabine.

Where is 720 S remarbable better?

Definetely is DC gearbox from Graziano surprisingly better as Getrag in 488 , also in comparison to 991 GT2 RS in
    German Auto Motor Sport magazine ( Porsche friendly) 720 S gearbox was better qouted , ZF DC gearboxes of
    Porsche are bench market.

This I can absolutely confirm: Even in race 488 shifts as early as possible in 7 th gear, when driver pulls back
    accelerator pedal. 720 S does this not and recognizes villages or cities with speed limit in Germany of 50kph
    and keeps 5 th gear in track or sport mode. (Porsche ZF PDK at 991 Turbo S is sometimes to nervous)

720 S gearbox uses torque of engine. Really surprisingly that a relatively small Italian manufacturer
    like Oerlikon Graziano has developed such a very good DC in comparance to Getrag/ ZF.

That 720 S longitudinally much faster than 488 is, you can feel as driver, but not every driver.
    Lack of exceleration times 488 compensates with more emototion. Sound engineering much better
    than at 720 S, efforts to simulate n.a. engine like Ferrari, McLaren never did. With sport exhausts
    720 S ok, but not all to big emotion

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

xfrgtr, Afonsolaw and Jo Sta7 like this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Hearing from owners of both is good insight so thank you.

LVP488 likes this.