Clear wrap on 488 Spider? | FerrariChat

Clear wrap on 488 Spider?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rick Parker, May 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rick Parker

Rick Parker Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Need some help all...

Recently posted the photo of my new 488 spider on the way...

I think it's obvious to have some or all of the car wrapped with a clear bra. I passed on the Ferrari option as my dealer noted that the cost would be much less locally.

Would love some feedback from those who have done it.

What to wrap? (i.e. front, side, mirrors, etc..)

What brand to look for?

Any issues that I should be aware of?

What should I be asking that I am not?

How often should it be replaced?

Any concerns with paint?

Many thanks to all in advance for your thoughtful advice.

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Cigarzman likes this.
  3. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Suntek on 100% of the car including headlights. Clearplex on the windshield.

Cigarzman likes this.
  4. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The most important question to ask is which installer to use. A quality, experienced installer is more important than the film you choose.

Cigarzman likes this.
  5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Color correction first , Suntec (full wrap) second and quartz coating last. Ancient Chinese secret. Lol. Best, Kirk.

6. Rick Parker

Rick Parker Rookie

May 6, 2018
  7. Rick Parker

Rick Parker Rookie

May 6, 2018

Seems like the consensus is the path you noted... thank you

8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
  9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That's the way to waste money. Just PPF the car and that's it. If you're worried about paint correction on a brand new car, then you need better things to focus on in life. A ceramic coating simply isn't meant to go on top of PPF.

On almost all the new film, there is no adhesive and very easy to repair when needed with hot air. Find a local installer and tell them you drive a Camaro to get a good grasp on pricing. If you tell them you drive a Ferrari, they will add 50% to it.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The tech that does mine says that the Suntek Ultra already has hydrophobic features but IMO it's not that great. On the RR when it rains there have still been white spots from dried water. It does blow dry well after a wash though. He said it would be fine to put a coating on the film but not under because it would inhibit film adhesion and void the warranty.

I think it's based on the amount of material,number of cuts and difficulty. The rear quarters on the 488 are very difficult and the tech had to redo the right one on my car because he had problems with it. He also found a small paint bubble on the hood which he pointed out to me. You can't notice it unless you are in very good light and right up on it. Now it's under the film because he doesn't do paint correction but he said it was the only spot he saw on the entire car.

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess you’ve never actually owned an F car. Because if you have you would know that even brand F cars mostly come with paint issues. If you have owned one please do share the route you took as we really like actual experience vs. hearsay. Especially the metallic ones. So waste of money no. Putting on the PPF without paint correction would be a waste of money IMHO. Best , Kirk.

12. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    #12 boobernackle, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Differing opinions are part of many conversations. In my case, I simply apied PPF and was done with it. Mentioned in my previous post that if a factory paint job is bothering you, which likely has defects very difficult to discern unless you're under direct light and the right angle, there are truly far more important things in life to worry about.

A Camaro, especially the latest model, has more sharp edges and curves than a 488, with more surface area, which also means more material being used. This is the best way to avoid the Ferrari tax and establish a good price range.

As for putting a ceramic coating on top of PPF, that's not what it's intended for, which is to be applied on paint. Shops will do it cause they want to make money. PPF and ceramic coating should not be on the same car/panel.

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I don't think sharp edges are as difficult as stuff like the area around the intake vents on the rear quarters. That is a single piece that must fit around the intake splitter and also conform to all those curves without wrinkling. I believe that is pretty difficult, enough so that the tech said he had to redo the right quarter. For comparison the RR was $5100 for a full wrap from the same shop and the track pack on my Cali T HS was $2100. I don't believe I paid a Ferrari tax. For sure the dealer is charging a Ferrari tax at $6000 for a full wrap.

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Just texted the tech and he said the 488 is harder because it has more curves.

15. boobernackle

May 28, 2016
    Did you think your tech was going to give you any justification on why a Ferrari would be easier, but cost more? $3,500 for a full 488 wrap can be had. It's a full day job and labor rate isn't too high. People just hear Ferrari and go $$$. That's just a part of it .

Keep in mind your RR uses far more material and labor than a 488 ever will.

16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    How do you know it costs more than the Camaro? I didn't ask that, I only asked him which was harder so he wouldn't be biased. The RR was done in a day, it's easy to do and I didn't get the moonroof done either which is most of the roof. The Ferrari tax is being levied by the dealer in this case charging $6000 for the same job this guy charged $4500. I don't think that I am going to find a place here in Austin that will do Suntek Ultra on a 488 for $3500. You are free to prove me wrong by getting a quote. Make sure it's Suntek Ultra with the 10 year warranty, not the 5 year product because that might only be $3500 but I didn't compare those two.

Gum12345 likes this.
  17. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Rick...In addition to PPF, if you live where it is hot, may want to consider clear ceramic coating for windshield, assuming you don't have the thermal glass. I have Huper Optik installed on my Porsche, but that was 4 years ago, so there may be better options now. My Cali came with the thermal insulating glass.
    T

18. Andial

Andial Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2016
    If you are looking to PPF your car, go w/ Paint Correction, then Xpel Ultimate Plus full wrap, then Ceramic Pro.

19. mdslone

mdslone Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    South
    Full Name:
    FerrariM
    I did a full Suntek clear wrap. The people I used did a phenomal job. It is piece of mind and worth it in my opinion. I did not put anything over the windshield. A close friend of mine did, and I could not stand it. If you need any close up detailed photos or an invoice to go off of please send me an email at [email protected]. Good luck

20. RCorsa

RCorsa Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 5, 2014
    West Coast
    Do an eBay search for my Bianco Fuji Spider which is wrapped in full suntek ultra. I’ve got some great high resolution photos on the listing. This site won’t let me post them as th files are too large. It’s super clear with zero orange peal.

Cigarzman likes this.
  21. Rick Parker

Rick Parker Rookie

May 6, 2018

That's a great tip... thanks for the reply.

22. Rick Parker

Rick Parker Rookie

May 6, 2018

Car will be in Colorado I think a wrap is a given, thanks.

23. Rick Parker

Rick Parker Rookie

May 6, 2018
    Thank you

Andial likes this.