F430 F1 reverse not engaging time line, most common cause. | FerrariChat

F430 F1 reverse not engaging time line, most common cause.

Discussion in '360/430' started by ASK328, May 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I just got my new f430 2006, love the car. Second drive, spirited driving the transmission would not engage reverse, you could hear slight cluck - however no engagement. Car cooled off and was fine, 3rd and 4th drive not an issue.

I have searched for this on Fchat and have found many threads, however my question is: For people that have experienced this does it usually get worse or is it typically a sign of the f1 pump going? Or is it something that happens from time to time? I could see that being fairly inconvenient if it happed to you when you really needed reverse.

Thank you.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
  3. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Had a similar occurrence in my 360. Turned out to be the clutch position sensor. Needs to be diagnosed with and SD2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree with Bob, it could be clutch position sensor.

Best to be diagnosed with an SD3 or Leonardo computer.

5. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    might be the sensors behind the actuator. They start with a P, but I cant remember now. Potientometer or something like that. I just had mine replaced. There are 2, one for longitudinal and latitudinal gear selection I was told. As the sensors wear, it wont put it in the right gear. This is something that the SD3 will detect. I had them give me a print out all the section dealing with gear and selecting and missing gear data to make sure everything checked out.

6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Or it could be as simple as the PIS is set too tight. Many here run it much too tight and the drag will cause the system to think that you are moving so it won't go into R. You definitely need someone who knows the system and can set it up properly.

7. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I sounds like you might have rotation of the intermediate shaft because the clutch disk is dragging in neutral. There is an rpm sensor on the transmission that determines if there is rotation. Because the reverse gear is not synchronized, that value needs to be zero rpm to shift to reverse. if you can put the trans in first, which stops the rotation, and then shift to reverse, then it's a good indicator that you have rpm. There is a parameter called the "New Clutch Open Position", I think, that determines how far the clutch is opened when changing gears or going to neutral.

8. Dano360NC

Dano360NC Karting

Aug 11, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    +1. Btw, I found on the 360 that reverse would engage if I did it from first gear instead of neutral

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Pretty common when the PIS is set wrong. Get it to someone who has an SD and knows the system. People never listen, you can't diagnose the F1 one on the internet.

10. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks for the input. She will not engage reverse when hot, let her cool for 5-10 min no problem. She is going into the shop this week.

Thanks.