New Ford GT | Page 80 | FerrariChat

New Ford GT

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by atomicskiracer, Jan 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Let's talk about the car's straight line performance. Not too impressive from this video.

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Why did the video stop at 180 mph? Seems like there should have been more. Headwind? An earlier movie-making post estimated speed over 200 mph when passing the camera car.

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    All he had room for I suppose. Acceleration was slowing at the end. Would have taken another minute I bet to get to 200 mph.

4. TTM647

TTM647 Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    JS
    If you can’t tell that the cars isn’t WOT from the video I can’t help you. Cars not even broken in yet, only 15X some miles. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The GT won’t be a quick as some others. No matter, what a car. The people getting them could care less. These cars are now part of racing history.

6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That doesn't mean it's not worth discussing.

7. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    If you 'time' the 0-to-60 climb on the speedometer, i think you'll see it's not full throttle ... but i'm not sure (i just estimated by the natural clock in my brain :) )

Heck there may even be a stop-watch on the dash/display i didn't even see :(

8. TTM647

TTM647 Rookie

Feb 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    JS
    What’s worth discussing? The fact that you can clearly see and hear in the video that the cars not be pushed to full potential as the owner is following break-in procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Why would an owner who has entire channel/reputation based on straight line speed post a video to his channel where he didn't push his car? Get out of here with your nonsense.

10. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    Of course. Discuss.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    The same reason why he publicly stated that he has no intention of modifying the GT, despite the fact that he earns a substantial living modifying cars.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Given the unfolding discussion, it looks to me like the driver kept his foot into it until 177 mph and 6,500 rpm when he suddenly cut back to 5,000 rpm and the car magically continued accelerating up to 180 mph at 5,000 rpm.

13. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    I'm sure everyone knows i'm not the biggest fan of the car ... but i'm pretty sure it's capable of a zero-to-sixty time, at full throttle, quicker than 5~6 seconds

14. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    The car shifted from 6th to 7th, hence the drop in RPMs. Look at the bottom left of the display. Number next to M is the gear selected. 7th is probably overdriven. BTW the car was in automatic mode (D) during this run, otherwise the M (for manual mode) would be illuminated.

energy88 likes this.
  15. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    #1990 dbk, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    It's not the fastest car on earth. It was primarily developed between late 2013 and 2015 with a powerplant designed to win a race in 2016. It's now 2018.

There are plenty of faster cars. Driven back to back, the GT pulls harder than a Performante, which isn't exactly what I'd call slow. With the wing down the car will go around 135 mph in a 1/4, +/- depending on DA. This may not be fast enough for some. Seems reasonable from in the car without any kind of tire or surface preparation.

16. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Since you invited the comparison to the Performante ...

The tests i've seen of the Performante are also reporting a trap speed of ~135 mph in the quarter. But the Performante is laying down faster laptimes in tracks all over the globe ... and by no small margin. All done with a naturally aspirated, 5.2L V10 powerplant virtually unchanged (power tweaked-up by 3%) since the Huracan won Top Gear's "supercar of the year" in 2014. (YES, the new aero-tech in the Performante is VERY impressive indeed ... but i'm just following suit on your powerplant comments)

All done in a car designed for the street, first ... for about half the price of the new(ish) Ford GT :D

Yes, as you wrote, there are "plenty of cars faster" than the new(ish) Ford GT. And yes ... i do own a Performante :) but haven't driven it much yet :(

17. dbk

dbk Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2005
    SE Mich
    The dealer I bought my Huracan from invited me over to drive a Performante, so I drove them back to back. Performante isn't gonna regularly go near 135 mph. Couple guys on Lambo site have gone ~129-131, which feels about right. You should try yours and see what it does. You can't take Lambo press cars seriously. The original Huracan test cars in 2014 were going 135. No 2015 Huracan is going 135 unless it's strapped to the back of a Chiron. The Perf is a good deal; especially since they can already be had for well under MSRP. I would much rather have a Performante than a 720S or 488, but I'm a big Lambo fan.

18. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Honestly, i was never much of a Lambo fan ... until the Huracan. I've been joking that Lamborghini finally learned how to 'curve' ... rather than just 'fold and crease' ... metal :D But seriously ... German (Audi) engineering and drivetrain, with gorgeous Italian sheetmetal ... what's not to like?

Also, you may remember that one of my biggest issues with the new Ford GT ... and it's PURELY personal ... is 'size'. I'm just more of a shorter wheel-base (and shorter length) fan. Well, maybe the better word is 'proportion' rather than 'size'. Lambo got the proportions right, in my eyes, with the Huracan. In many ways, the Huracan is reminiscent of the most beautiful Ferrari (again, my eyes) ... namely, the 288 GTO. Curved in back, leading to a sharper nose ... all in perfect 'proportion'. Plus, that new aero tech in the Performante is really quite clever ..

Anyway, the car really worthy of serious attention is a Lambo Huracan, 'leaned-on' by that little outfit in North Carolina called Underground Racing ;) 1200 (very-streetable) HP on pump gas, 1500 HP on race gas. Please give me a shout, if and when you may find yourself in Austin ...

19. Sinovac

Sinovac Karting

Aug 25, 2007
    I think the Huracan is the best looking car out of Italy right now. I like the compact size too and it has aged very well. As for the GT, keep in mind that the size (front overhang, wheelbase, etc.) was dictated by the aero needed for Le Mans.

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    NEP, ByeEnzo and of2worlds like this.
  21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  22. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  23. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    FGT vs 720S

Attached Files:

jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i like 720 over fgt in looks and being a more versatile/comfortable car. fgt by far as an investment though

25. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Of course you do. This is there reason ugly women throughout time have found husbands. (LOL.....just kidding)

Edit Delete Report