I preferred my 360 Modena to my new F430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I preferred my 360 Modena to my new F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Gated, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KirS

KirS Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I’m glad I found this post. I’m in the market for my first F-car, coming from Porsche market.

I’ve recently driven a few F1 430’s, a MT 360, and a Scuderia. Got to drive them back to back to really compare.

Like everyone else says, this is a personal decision. Gotta go with what your heart tells you. If I were to rank I’d personally put the F1 430 at the bottom of the list. Yes, it has a more modern feel but the 360 MT felt more engaging. It also had a Capristo exhaust which might have helped.

Then there is the Scuderia. I didn’t think I’d like it, thought it would ride rough like a 997.2 GT3. I was wrong. It put a smile on my face after the first 1/4 mile. Didn’t have to rev beyond 4K to know this was a special car. Firm ride but not punishing, exhaust note just loud enough in cabin but not annoying, steering feel precise. Wow.

Didn’t mean to hijack thread, just one guys opinion. Now I’m torn, 360 MT or 430 Scud. Both special in their own way. What to do....
    Ah, first world problems.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Every time I see the "this or that" question, I try to advise "yes" - meaning own one and then the other. Buying a car isn't marriage :) Both a 360 gated manual and a 430 Scuderia should hold value pretty well, thus allowing a swap without too much financial pain. I'd enjoy them both over a period of years. I could argue either one as the "first" one to own, so can't give advice in that regard...I guess, on the margin, I'd say 360 gated first and then the scud (the extra 100HP and torque might make going the other way difficult).

3. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    To the OP - I totally get this. I have zero interest in a 458 (or 430) because they are somewhat/relatively isolated and "GT like" (especially the 458) vs. what I'm looking for in a sports car (I have a CS to illustrate where my priorities lie in that sense). I'm looking older (550 or 328 or Porsche 993) when thinking about my next sports car. Effortless, "smooth uber fast" and fancy interiors are not things I prioritize in a sports car (most sports cars are "fast enough" for safe and fun street use. Today's 500-700HP cars are incapable of getting "on edge" at legal speeds). I have found 430s (especially with the stock exhaust) to be rather tame drives.

Caphill likes this.
  4. KirS

KirS Rookie

Jan 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Thanks for the advice Arizonaitalian. You are right, not a one and done operation here. Can always switch up down the road.

5. BladeMD

BladeMD Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2015
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Hannibal
    360 3-pedal or Scud?

Best answer is both if you can! They are very different experiences.....

Caphill likes this.
  6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Trade the 430 for a Stradale!

7. basscase415

basscase415 Karting

Jun 10, 2017
    CA
    I would agree except the transaction costs and effort can be really high.

For this reason alone I try hard to only purchase cars I think I'll love, then tend to keep them for at least five years to spread out the pain.

With unlimited resources I'd be swapping out all the time to experiment, and accumulate the best of them.

8. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    This makes me want to test drive a manual 360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewinator and Caphill like this.
  9. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I’d advise against it unless having to have one immediately is not a problem. :D

killer58, espvh and arizonaitalian like this.
  10. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I know I’m kind of torn currently wanting to free up some garage space. Love the F1 in the 430 but thinking of getting rid of my S2k for the free parking spot. This however would leave me with no manuals. So I was thinking maybe a 360 manual would cure the Ferrari and manual bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Do NOT get rid of the S2K. If it weren't for the fact I'm 6'5" I'd have one. Brilliant engine and chassis.

12. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    I love this thread, it's all about relativity. I bet the 308/328 guys have the same thread on how 355's and 360's are snoozers to drive with no soul haha. I've given lots of drives in my F430 and not one has fallen asleep or even attempted to look calm and cool. That being said I do have a twisty back road .2 miles from my house lined with trees that echo the exhaust coming out of my headers/100 cell cats/s-lined exhaust. It's all relative. Even rental cars can be fun to drive!

13. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    You're right. As the OP I should update and say the car is beautiful and the lack of excitement I was talking about could probably be addressed with an exhaust and more aggressive alignment.

bupilot likes this.
  14. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Apologies if my post made it seem like I thought you were missing the boat on the 430. Quite the contrary, sounds like you gave a really honest assessment comparing your experiences with the two.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Sometimes it is just about what you (and everyone is different when it comes to this) are looking for in a car. Liking one car over another is not always about performance (if it was the 430 would win hands down and if you drove your cars as I do without traction controls this difference would be even more noticeable), it might be what you find more visually appealing or what you are more comfortable in. My longest relationship with any brand is Porsche (over 40 years and 41 cars), and I feel instantly comfortable in any (except the Carrera GT) manual gearbox one. I hated the Jaguar F type R but loved the gearshift Miata RF (that is probably the opposite of what most people would think), so what appears to be a better car on paper may not be a better car for you. If you really prefer the 360 than I suggest you go back to one, no matter what anyone writes on this forum it will not likely change your mind. I rarely go three months without buying a car (picked up a new one yesterday), and is both a curse and a blessing to have owned as many cars as I have, but I do know this much, no one can convince me to like a car that I don't, not even if I want to like it.

CarAholic likes this.
  16. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I went from a manual 360 to a manual 430 and never looked back. I like the increased power, sound and performance - both had/have standard exhaust systems. I even like the styling of the 430 - many opinions about that - but the rear end and side views for sure and even the front view has grown on me. The dash on the 430 is much nicer while still maintaining analog instrumentation. The Daytona seats are better styled on the 430, also. The only feature I'd prefer the 360 over the 430 are the aluminum trim on the door panels and center console. Other than that, I'm very happy with the 430 - it's a keeper!

17. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Maybe it’s because my 430 is a spider but I would never describe it as GT like.

18. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    John C finally mentioned sound but he likes the 430. Sound definitely changed. The 360 had cinquevalvole heads and modified exhaust. The 430 is a still stock, right? The cinquevalvole sound is fairly unique, particularly in stock form and really gives that Formula one sound and feeling without any exhaust mods. Sure the 430 intake trumpets and 4 valve heads came directly from F1 but the pure reediness of the cinqueV was gone. Put a new exhaust on top of that and it will be hard to match. Check my sig. The CS TCU on my 04 Spider is fantastic. The 1-2 shifts do hesitate under 5K rpm but I am pretty certain that is hard coded in to the traction control and ecu, even with ASR off. And with the top down and my exhaust valve mod, solenoids disconnected, it rips and wails right behind your head. K&N filters too. Sure mine is F1 and that is a factor, but I do not fear the shift robot and the CS shift and blip maps are pretty nice. The 430 should have better front ball joints, transmission mounts, alternator cable and a nicer center console with and R button instead of the the silly T shifter, right?