Track Days/Motorsport | Page 224 | FerrariChat

Track Days/Motorsport

Discussion in 'Australia' started by b27, Apr 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    and while we're at it....

2. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Yeah, the 575 has a very nervous rear end under power in sports mode and worse with traction control off. I’ll show you on the weekend after I’ve finished with yours

Irrational and illogical? FFS all I said was Tesla’s have a cheap looking interior which is a true statement. And pick on? How many cars have you dumped **** on here? No one cares, except for crybabies that take it personally, it’s a car forum and that’s what happens.

Accept and understand what the Tesla has going for it? Sure, but I still don’t want one

3. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Go buy one and STFU

4. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Then there's something wrong with it.

I don't think it has, but if you think it's cheap, then that also applies to every car you have, except one, which costs more than double a tesla.

I don't pick on anyone's car. You're right about the crybabies.....you're being one!

No, you really don't.

As my good mate JJ would say, take off your blinkers.

5. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Round and round and round and round. If only everyone would agree with you

6. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
  7. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Dear Greg with the broken heart. TAKE OFF THE BLINKERS.

All I said was that I don't understand why you're so vehemently bashing the tesla about its finish, despite happily accepting a poor finish with your cars, when, like your cars (to you anyway) there is more to the car than just that.

I don't think Teslas are badly finished, btw, at least not the ones I've seen.

8. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    YAWN

Yep, you don’t understand

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

lol....uhuh

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  11. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

As I've indicated, there is a marked difference in quality between base and premium specifications. There is also an absolutely massive difference between early Tesla production and what they are putting out currently. Your quoted reference is from 2013 which is just about as early as Model S Tesla production gets.
    Back then the quality of the interior really was pretty average and isn't comparable to what you get in a top spec Tesla today........ which isn't $300k as you keep quoting.

A Tesla is no Bentley in the interior stakes; but then nothing is short of a Rolls Royce, and the Tesla is under half the new cost of that Bentley.

IMO the Tesla interior being described as "cheap" is a bit harsh. Not market leading plush and certainly very American in feel; but perfectly acceptable, and I'm pretty bloody fussy in those stakes.

12. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Depreciation is a cost of playing the new car game and the Tesla was actually better than most other players in the luxury class Simon. If you want to experience the pain of real depreciation go and buy a brand new English top end luxury car. My Range Rover Autobiography S/C cost $1000 in depreciation for every single week that I owned it. A $600k Bentley would easily cost double that in depreciation per week..............everything is relative, and relatively speaking the Tesla does ok in this regard.

13. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Just a pity that he had no real competition - Toyota was the only works team and their budget is many times that of the privateers like 3rd place Rebellion, who run a Lola chassis with a Gibson engine.

14. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I watched the last two hours. Wasn't that exciting, but I love Alonso so I am very happy that he and his team won. :)

15. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter

All true, but how many times has the team that had it in their pocket not make it to the end? It's a bit like Mercedes in F1 until this year. Mercedes racing Mercedes. It was still a race that had to be won.

16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    [​IMG]
    POSTED BY: JAMES ALLEN | 17 JUN 2018 | 5:31 PM GMT | 12 COMMENTS
    Fernando Alonso fulfilled a dream today by winning the Le Mans 24 hours with Toyota and in the process completed the second leg of his quest to win the “triple crown” of Monaco GP, Le Mans and Indianapolis 500.

Only Graham Hill has managed the feat and that was completed in 1972, almost fifty years ago.

So what will he do now? Will his focus be entirely on completing his quest and could that mean calling time on his F1 career?

The Spaniard, who will be 37 next month, picked up his first international race win since May 2013 at the WEC race in Spa this season and backed it up with the Le Mans win, partnered with Sebastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima.

He celebrated 300 Grand Prix in Canada is approaching 100 Grands Prix without a win. With little prospect of a race win in F1 on the horizon, as McLaren lag well behind the other Renault powered cars, let alone the Ferrari and Mercedes works teams, will he quit F1 to focus on the Indy 500 in May 2019 or will he seek to combine the event with an F1 calendar?

[​IMG]

Last year the race did not clash. This year it did. The 2019 race calendars have not been set but in Monaco the promoters of the leading FIA championships met to look at scheduling for 2019. IndyCar was not part of that meeting but clearly this potential clash will be one that F1 will be keen to avoid.

The World Endurance Championship changed its schedule this year to accommodate Alonso who is doing the WEC championship as well as F1. Alonso is committed to the ‘super season’ which takes in two Le Mans 24 hours and features races next March at Sebring and Spa in May.

[​IMG]

Nigel Mansell quit F1 for IndyCar in 1993 and won the championship first time out, including wins on long and short ovals. It would be tricky for Alonso to fit in with their schedule, less so if he were just doing WEC and not F1.

This year the IndyCar schedule featured one short oval race at Phoenix prior to the month of May at Indianapolis.

Alonso is sure to go for the Indy 500 win with all gone blazing now and it will be interesting to see whether McLaren are the team to enter him.

Last time he ran with Honda engines, but since he split with them at the end of last season, the irony of winning Le Mans with Toyota will not be lost on Honda senior management and is a considerable coup for Toyota, who picked up their first Le Mans win after many years of trying.

It’s worth noting that Juan Pablo Montoya is also on two of the three legs of the Triple Crown, although he has not made much fuss about it being a quest. He won Monaco and the Indy 500 and was racing at Le Mans this year, but not in a race win eligible car. Ironically he was driving for the United Autosports team of Zak Brown, who is Alonso’s boss at McLaren F1 team.

JPM will no doubt be back in 2019, but as Toyota has a strangle hold again next season, he’ll probably be waiting for the new 2020 regulations for a genuine challenge. Alonso may have cracked Indy by then.

[​IMG]
    Historic Le Mans win

Alonso won the race in Toyota #8 car, beating the #7 car in the process. The Spaniard played his part with an exceptional night-time stint. He dragged the car – which had been two minutes down on the other Toyota – back onto its tail with a quadruple stint in the night.

The #8 car took the lead after Kamui Kobayashi cost his crew the lead when he stayed out instead of pitting. He had to reduce speed for part of his next lap,as he was marginal on fuel.

Although critics will argue that this was an easy win, with both Audi and Porsche withdrawing from WEC and Le Mans in the last two seasons, Alonso (and history) will not care about that. It is another debut win for an F1 driver, following Nico Hulkenberg’s 2015 victory with Porsche.

“Alonso has come and conquered Le Mans, along with his team-mates, and not put one foot wrong as we’ve seen all through the race,” said nine times Le Mans winner Tom Kristensen.

“I think he also sees the chance to be world [endurance] champion, which means he will continue to drive until Le Mans next year – and I think he will do that.

“I would not predict that he stops in F1, but he’ll definitely be back at the Indy 500. Maybe he’ll do a full season.”

17. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    NO, Toyota won, Alonso was but 1 team driver in the team

After so many 2nd/s and failures a well deserved 1st and 2nd

18. Nintendo64

Nintendo64 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2016
    Gibson make some interesting engines

Really, no different to audi and porsche when they where going around on its own.

19. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    my point was the lack of competition diminishes the achievement for Alonso, not that the 2018 race circumstances are unique. LMP1 has been a joke for some time, "which VW Group brand gets to win this year?". Like most things run by the FIA, the original sporting intention has been buried under over-regulation.

20. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Whatever

21. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    You'd take it.

IanB likes this.
  22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Email
    One of the major talking points from this year's Le Mans 24 Hours was the debate over if the race-winning #8 Toyota should have been penalised for a pitstop infringement.

Footage from the television world feed suggested Fernando Alonso might have reversed in the pitlane when he took over from Sebastien Buemi, to get around a car that was parked in front of him in the pits.

This sparked concerns the Toyota that went on to win the race should have faced a punishment, as there are rules preventing reversing in the pits.

However, the rules that state such an incident should result in the car being excluded from the race specifically apply to using reverse gear if a car breaks down in the pits or overshoots its box - which Buemi did not.

In addition, exclusive footage captured by Motorsport.tv of the pitstop clearly shows Alonso did not reverse as he was pushed back by mechanics - which is allowed - before he rejoined the race.

23. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Share this article on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Email
    One of the major talking points from this year's Le Mans 24 Hours was the debate over if the race-winning #8 Toyota should have been penalised for a pitstop infringement.

Footage from the television world feed suggested Fernando Alonso might have reversed in the pitlane when he took over from Sebastien Buemi, to get around a car that was parked in front of him in the pits.

This sparked concerns the Toyota that went on to win the race should have faced a punishment, as there are rules preventing reversing in the pits.

However, the rules that state such an incident should result in the car being excluded from the race specifically apply to using reverse gear if a car breaks down in the pits or overshoots its box - which Buemi did not.

In addition, exclusive footage captured by Motorsport.tv of the pitstop clearly shows Alonso did not reverse as he was pushed back by mechanics - which is allowed - before he rejoined the race.

24. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
  25. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Anything new and European/UK and possibly US, loses more than anything else in a shorter time in Oz.