Help on making 360 variator tool. | FerrariChat

Help on making 360 variator tool.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 24000rpm, Jun 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so I want to make a tool to remove the old timing variator and install the new ones.
    I can't seem to understand how the factory tool is constructed. Or maybe there are better solutions to the same end?

Can somebody briefly tell me how was this tool constructed or maybe a picture , or a diagram/drawing?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
  3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

exactly what I wanted, thank you

4. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Do you still plan on making one, or are you going to buy one of the Alfa tools and see if it fits? I did not have a variator to get measurements from to complete my drawing.

5. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I want to buy one now! kinda urgent but no british seller wants to ship to China.
    Can you sell me one? even a used one is fine.

I also want to make one just to prove myself that I can use a machine tool.

i have a variator handy, what do you want to measure, i can use a caliper.

6. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    If you look at my drawing I provided I need those dimension, I just guessed at them and used some of the measurements from the WSM to achieve what I have. It says you are in Asia and US, could you not have them ship to the US and then ship to China?

If you provide the dimensions in mm or inch I can make a drawing for a tool so you can make one.

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i'll measure it up for u. in millimeters

i certainly can let them ship to Portland, OR, the place of which it seems you are at as well.,, LOL.

but im in a hurry, i rented a lift here in China with my car's engine out and I can't just wait for too long before the boss say i am annoying.

8. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
  9. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Are you going to cnc it up or manual machine it?

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i remove the engine to do 2 things

1. replace fuel tank, as it is leaking
    2. adjust timing as it is way off

then i figured its been about maybe 100,000km already , and its time for variators.

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i don't know, i have a buddy that runs a lab in a local university and he'll teach me how to do it. I am new to this.

12. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Measure the non threaded hole diameter with the backside pointed tips on your calipers, also measure inside dimension across 2 of the threaded holes to give bolt circle pattern and inside hole diameter of threaded hole.

13. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

14. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Use the backside tips and measure threaded hole like you did with non threaded hole, Use the backside tips and measure across 2 threaded holes 180° from each other inside of the threads on the outside side of the threads other so I can take that measurement and subtract one threaded hole size to get bolt pattern. Like drawing displays

15. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    Don't use the threaded pins to measure as they will have play in them.

16. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

17. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    to ACCURATELY measure your bores-you must use precision ground plug gages. in this case minus 2 tenths-IMO
    Remember, based on Alfa tool picture, your tool will have to have RC60/62 in your pins in all likelihood.

24000rpm likes this.
  18. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    #19 gphodge, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Based on the dimensions you provided me this should fit the variator, I have been designing, cnc programming multi axes cnc lathes for motorcycle suspension parts for 20 years and have found the Japanese do not make odd ball sizes, they usually stick to whole numbers or half numbers most of the time and I would suspect the Italians would do the same. Giving some play on the M6x1.0 hole you measured @ 4.92 I rounded up to 4.97 which gave me 46mm on the bolt circle center which I believe to be correct.

You will have to find some M6x16mm or 18mm ground pins to press fit into the 2 holes, I left the threaded holes on it as reference, if I missed something let me know and good luck on machining it and let me know how it goes.

Attached Files:

24000rpm likes this.
  19. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

ground pin to insert to the non-threaded hole: what material would sustain more than 200 NM of torque?

20. gphodge

gphodge Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2010
    Washington
    You can get pins from Mcmaster-Carr, here is a M6x18 pin. There was also a change on torque value on the variators as well to 160 Nm, see tsb

Attached Files:

21. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    I just converted my 10" X 54" knee mill to CNC. I'm not due for belts or variators but I may take a shot at doing these for fun.

22. rob73

rob73 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    Bert
    IMO best way is buying the Alfa Romeo tool. Reference is Laser 3951 and it is not expensive. It has 3 pins, but you can file/saw 1 pin off and it will fit perfectly.

You can copy the Alfa tool on a lathe with tool steel but there is really no need. The Laser tool is strong enough to take the 160 Nm torque.

23. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

i have not recieved the VSE5885, is VSE5885 going to fit?

i hav

24. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If you want to ship me the variator, we will accurately measure the features. My shop has all the appropriate tools including a CMM.