Daily Driver- 360 Modena or 911 GT3? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Daily Driver- 360 Modena or 911 GT3?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by raines, Jul 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Drive a Ferrari every day for 2-3 weeks (or days), and then you'll understand why it's not a good DD. It's sort of odd that this is even a discussion, to be honest.

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    You might find out soon enough that exotics are best at Point A to Point A driving. I thought differently at one time....then I bought one.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I disagree from my prospective, its still an expensive car that I would be leery about parking it in places where people don't respect other people's property.

4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I took two vacations in my 456M after I had it sorted to perfection: San Antonio to Prescott, AZ and back, over 4K miles; and San Antonio to the Blue Ridge Parkway and back, also over 4K miles. The car was perfect for both trips. Ferraris from about '95 on can be made perfect, but it costs a LOT of money. Most are not willing to, say, remove the engine and transmission and replace all the seals and gaskets along with the clutch and flywheel plus motor and transmission mounts - over $20K service - but it's amazing all the little problems you'll uncover if you do. Ferraris that suffer chronic breakdowns have never been sorted out like that. It's like playing Whack-a-Mole. I prefer to bite the bullet and find out what all the imperfections are and fix them. Then I can enjoy the car (Oh, I still had one epic failure when a coolant hose came loose, but no Ferrari over ten years old is ever 100% perfect).

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's still the closest.

6. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I definitely had "Whack-A-Mole" syndrome. Sorting everything out now. Maybe I should make that my DD. Hmm?

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Well, unfortunately I have not had a chance to drive any of them (Evora 400, 360, or GT3), so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but here's what I'd say the Lotus has going for it. First, it gives up absolutely nothing in terms of looks to the others. The previous Evora/S might have been a bit more subdued to some eyes, but the 400 looks like a legit exotic. Second, whatever lack of prestige that the 400 carries due to its Camry-sourced V6 engine is more than made up by its exhaust note. I'm honestly not sure there's a better-sounding car available new. It moves in a straight line at a pretty good clip as well, maybe marginally faster than a 360 but we're splitting hairs at this point. Third, it offers 2+2 seating if you're in a pinch and need another set of seats. Fourth, new Lotuses in the US come with 3 yr/36k mile warranties standard. And fifth you will be in a class of your own in terms of exclusivity because 400s are so uncommon. Not that you're going to have to worry about parking next to other GT3s, 360s, etc on a daily basis here in Raleigh anyway, but you may not ever see another one on the streets, and the only people who will really know what you're driving will be actual car enthusiasts.

8. raines

raines Karting

May 7, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I will definitely check out the Evora! At least 2 enthusiasts have pointed that out in a very positive light- especially in terms as a DD. My practical side (Lexus owner) says research the reliability and performance. Many here are concerned about the worries and "pains" of driving an exotic, but really I'm searching for a little bit of magic and mystique. I've been without my 308 for so long that I've forgotten my "first love". Maybe it's the absence that's making my heart grow fonder...and I've settled for practical far too long.

nicholasn likes this.
  9. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Having owned a 997.1-3 you can dd it fine. Issue is the heavy clutch. Depends on how much traffic you have. A turbo is actually better dd.

10. rob73

rob73 Rookie

Apr 29, 2015
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Own both 997.1 C2 and a 360. Ferrari can be driven DD, but Porsche is a bit more practical and never to worry if there is suitable parking at your destination. Can still take the role as family car if kids are young. 95%of people will not notice difference between a basic old Boxter and a GT 911, but 100% will notice the Ferrari.
    Reliability wise , they are equal in my experience. Cost wise, if it matters, 911 is far more economical.