2018 BMW i3 long term review | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2018 BMW i3 long term review

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Nurburgringer, Jul 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Yeah, because an E38 sport and E91 wagon weren't unique enough in Cypress...
    Definitely the only red i3 around :)

Yesterday a guy in my office down on Memorial drive said he'd overheard me talking about electric cars, and that he's on a "green" working group that wants to install EV chargers in the parking garage. I gave him links to several level 2 chargers (J-1772 plug that all manufactures use, and Teslas come with an adapter plug to use) so hopefully soon I'll be able to charge at work.

My wife drove it for the first time last night. Took a little bit to acclimate to the regen/one pedal driving, but she absolutely loves it.
    Printed out a spreadsheet to keep an eye on mileage. Going to exceed the quota this month due to 265mile drive back from Dallas but with an expected ~8500miles/yr will get back on track in a few months:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  2. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    My almost 4-yr old calls her "Red Falcon", and loves the rush when I nail the go-pedal.

Back of the front seats has a thin fabric center part so he's under the strictest instructions not to kick.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  3. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Installed convex mirrors (don't understand why these don't come from the factory), cell phone mount and got a few Cocomats samples since the black ones that came with it show every single bit of schmutz. Likely will go for brown/natural which matches the dark brown leather and will hide dirt much better.
    Also hooked up the 8AWG 30A line from breaker box to 14-30 receptacle for temporary charger location until the 740 engine job is done and there's a space for the i3 in the garage.
    fairly sturdy cell phone mount, hope it lasts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GNNH3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Also got this model and painted the body parts red, will put together with son after his birthday in 2 months: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1PNTES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    "the analogy i described to a guy at the last cars and coffee who was comparing it to a tesla is that a tesla is the woman who is a 7/10 and can really cook well, whereas the fisker is the super model who is over to the right of the crazy scale and cannot cook more than a sandwich."

Ah, so the Fisker is the E38 of electric cars. ;-)

Nurburgringer likes this.
  5. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    lol that's harsh Julia :)
    Although...here's my E38 right now, and why Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

After seeing what the last 2001 740 sport sold for on BaT ($10k, without record of timing guides or valley pan done, and with similar 140k mileage) I'm definitely motivated to get her back on the road!

The i3 has just a couple less moving parts ;)

6. Nurburgringer

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
  7. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Yeah, that's probably too harsh. :) Something else will likely break if she hears I've been talking about her like that.

Actually, mine has been pretty well-behaved recently. I just have to remember to top the batteries off from time to time.

Nurburgringer likes this.